In love with the Sensor/Excel

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Maestro, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Maestro

Maestro Member

Greetings fellow den members.

I am at the stage where I have to jump, scream and shout out aloud. I am in love with the Gillette Sensor! During my cartridge days I had always perceived the Sensor to be an inferior razor. Was this due to fierce marketing? promoting the mach 13's and falling for the con(FUSION) ... alas in my quest to find the most comfortable efficient and cost effective shave I gave the Sensor Excel a chance.

To my amazement, the razor that I often shunned, ignored and dismissed as being inferior has provided me with the closest, irritation free shaves I have had to date. I have tried a multiplicity of razors including the Fatboy, the Tech, The New, Muhle R89, Aristocrat Junior, the #15, Schick Injectors (Type E and Type M), The Knack, Fat handled Tech, Merkur 933 Travel Razor, Trac II, Mach 3, Fusion, Schick Xtreme 3, Schick Hydro, Lion DE razor, Wilkinson Sword Classic, Wilkinson Sword 'sticky', Bic Classic, Schick Pivot Plus, Schick Slim Twin, Gillette Blue Tip and the list goes on and on and on. Although I have deep respect for DE / SE razors, its mission and efficiency all this yields to the omnipotent efficacy of the Gillette Sensor.

This is a magnificent piece of equipment and blade it has led my rotation to a rotation around this razor. I absolutely love the Sensor. Even though this may seem like blasphemy and heresy to some my love for the Sensor Excel cannot be contained any further.

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

wow, that's some list.
    you still have all those?
    maybe we could work out a deal. I'm sure I have a few sensors around somewhere.

just kidding, glad you found what your happy with.

Herm2502 likes this.
  3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

It's not heresy to me. I still like my injectors more but twin cartridges are very good, speaking of Dorco and Personna twin cartridges here, and I prefer them to any DE and some of my SEs. My only previous experience with two blades was disposables which are frankly rubbish. So I was surprised by the difference.

Boojum1 likes this.
  4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs011: :happy096:

I've been using the Sensor since it came out in the 90's. I only use it for touch ups now in those hard to reach crevices. I too am amazed at the closeness of the shaves the Sensor gives, with 2 or 3 blade carts. I've stocked up on the Sensor carts too.

Maestro likes this.
  5. Maestro

Maestro Member

Iv
    I've stocked up too. One blade lasts me 2 weeks I currently have 158 blades the majority being Sensor the the balance being sensor excel

Boojum1 likes this.
  6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

whaaaat.gif

Just kidding!

No blasphemy or heresy, Maestro! I'm just glad you found your unicorn! (go to razor)

Besides, someone over here once said: "It's your shave, enjoy it your way!" (Copyrights lie with Steve)

yeey.gif

7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The problem is you never tried the Wilkinson Sword Profile....

8. Maestro

Maestro Member

I did, found them NOS provided a good shave. Can't match the Sensor imho.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I remember my Sensor days. I used one for years (early to mid-90s).

Seems so long ago………..;)

10. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Out of all my cartridge razor this was my first and favourite.

11. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

I still have, and quite like. The Atra or Trak2 razors/carts. Low tech perhaps but STILL serve their purpose quietly and effectively. My only regret is the plastic. :-(

12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

No need to apologize, if the Sensor is your razor of choice "GOOD for YOU"!!
    I stopped with the Trac2 and never tried the Sensor or any other so called "improved version" of cart razors. I never got a comfortable shave with the Trac2 so I figured why try another cart razor. After reading your post however I may just see if I can find a Sensor handle and give it a try.
    Although I doubt it will beat my Gillette Fat Handle Tech, 1935 "NEW"LC, Weber DLC or Cadet OC for comfort or closeness, it maybe fun to give one a try...:)

What is, if any, the difference between the Sensor and Sensor/Excel?:confused:

Lancre likes this.
  13. Maestro

Maestro Member

Hi there the only real difference is that the excel has microfins. It doesn't really affect the efficacy of the razor in my opinion the microfins mark the infancy of Gillettes competitive insanity.

Mr. Droid likes this.
  14. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

I find my Sensor Excel to be slightly more aggressive than the Mach3 and a little more care needs to be taken with the amount of pressure used and handle angle. Is that your experience?
    Off to the supermarket soon to get some more Sensor cartridges :D

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    Maestro likes this.
  15. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

:signs011:

16. Maestro

Maestro Member

I find that the Sensor is a subtle yet slightly more aggressive than a mach 3 cart. A huge determining factor for me is that the Sensor has two blades this allows me to shave in all directions. Whereas the mach 3 would leave landmines of ingrown hairs in its wake.

Secondly the pricing of the sensor and the mach 3 are stark. In SA 5 sensor excel sells for ZAR 66.00 whereas 4 mach 3 blades sell for ZAR 144.00

All in all l, would have to say that the pure utilitarian simplicity of the sensor really does it for me.... gives me bbs without grief. Only thing is I hate promoting gillette

17. Uncle Brian

These are the prices here in New Zealand, worse than yours if you can believe that. Taken from the local supermarket website.

Gillette Mach 3 Razor Blades Cartridge 4pk -
    $19.99 - ZAR 175.48
    $5.00/1EA
    ZAR 144.00 =$16.40 NZD

Gillette Mach 3 Razor Blades Cartridge 8pk
    $29.99
    $3.75/1EA

Gillette Sensor Excel Razor Blades Mens 10pk
    $28.99
    $2.90/1EA

18. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

Your post shows that different things work for different people. I started shaving over 40 years ago, right after the double edge razor was replaced and it was a miserable experience. My first double edge razor shave was at Age 54 and I couldn't believe how close and comfortable it was. I've moved on to straights because I was always fascinated by their use in movies. But dumping the typical drug and department store fare changed shaving from something I hated into a pleasurable activity.

19. Maestro

Maestro Member

Whoa! That's crazy in that light I would stick to de ...

20. Uncle Brian

I have tried as many razors as you have and DE doesn't work for me neither does SE. Cartridges seem to be fine with the Fusion Pro-glide Power being the best but the cartridge price is silly.
    If carts didn't work I would try electric or just grow a beard :)

Maestro likes this.