Barrister & Mann

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Chuck F, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Just received notice of two new soaps from Barrister and Mann.

Nocturne Shaving Soap (Essential Oil + Fragrance Oil)

Last year's seasonal scent, Nocturne was originally intended to smell like a New England Harvest Festival, but its combination of apples, fallen leaves, cinnamon, benzoin (think woody vanilla) and woodsmoke really more closely resembles a good old-fashioned cider mill.

Leviathan Shaving Soap (Fragrance Oil)

Leviathan is our new Autumn fragrance. We discovered a forgotten formula for an old Russian leather accord and have blended it with notes of sandalwood, coffee, cedar, and musk to create an elegant, rich, and slightly feral scent well-suited to its namesake. This is one of those elemental scents that smells like it has endured for eons.

Tdmsu likes this.
  2. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

That Leviathan looks interesting. I hear they should come out on the 23rd of this month. They sell out quick, so I would be fast on the trigger if anyone is interested.

Boojum1 likes this.
  3. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

Good news! Will is going to offer Lavanille again and he may create a splash in that scent.

Be warned, if you want a jar don't hesitate. I will be buying ten jars or so, depending on how mush $$$ I can squirrel away before the release.

Lfs70, Chuck F and Tdmsu like this.
  4. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Last month i ordered a puck of "Nocturne" and one jar of "Leviathan". Love the scent of the Nocturne and now i´m curious about the Leviathan. The scent description sounds very interesting.

Boojum1 likes this.
  5. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

Alright, here's my quick review of Leviathan: it's not going to be for everyone. Leathery and musky, it kind of surrounds you and disorients you as you lather. There's also an unexpected sweetness to it. The sandalwood is there, but in the background. The coffee combined with the sweetness gives almost a kind of chocolaty quality. The name is appropriate: the leather and musk give the impression of a big, dark, brooding beast.

Boojum1 and moz68 like this.
  6. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

Nocturne is a complex scent. At first it's kind of confusing. But if you close your eyes you can smell the apples, leaves. It will grow on you.

Boojum1 and Chuck F like this.
  7. ChiefShaver

I test lathered the Leviathan yesterday. And shaved my chest. The lather was thick and very very slick. Great!!!

I don't know what i should say to the scent...chocolate...but i don't smell anything musky or anything else...nothing. A good scent but nothing "catchy". Don't know if it will stay in my den.

I love the scent of the Nocturne. Fresh apples, a bit of cinnamon and spices. Wonderful!!! I have a bit of Rest of my puck and waiting for the new one to arrive.:)

8. cmh737

cmh737 New Member

Just tried the Hallows - fantastic in every respect! The scent, to me, is very similar to Lavanille (which I think is awesome); so if you like that, you'll love Hallows.
    B&M continues to be my A#1 soap.

Boojum1 likes this.
  9. Chuck F

Wow, it's amazing how YMMV applies to scents. I didn't think Hallows and Lavanille were similar at all. But to each his own!

10. cmh737

cmh737 New Member

It's so similar that I wonder if I got a mislabeled tub of Hallows. I actually had to lather one bowl with the Hallows and another bowl with Lavanille to do a comparison. I really can't tell that much of a difference. How would you describe the scent of Hallows, or more specifically, the difference between Lavanille?

11. Chuck F

Hmm, that's strange. Hallows to me reminded me a lot of Clubman Special Reserve, but with the leather and musk replaced with vetiver. The overall effect is damp earth, decaying leaves, honestly kind of musty to me.

Lavanille, on the other hand, is more of an indoors scent: lavender, vanilla pipe tobacco, and an old leather chair.

But those are just my impressions of them, I don't mean to invalidate or question your experience of them.

12. cmh737

cmh737 New Member

Thanks for your impressions. I like how you describe Lavanille - I'm with you on that one. When I give Hallows another spin, I'll see if I can discern the differences and nuances. (BTW, I did not think you were calling in to question my impression - no worries at all. YMMV at its finest). Thanks again for your assessment.

13. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I just traded for some Dickens from last year, and the scent is amazing! Lemony raspberry? I can hardly wait to shave with it tomorrow!

14. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I was gifted a sample of B&M Bay Rum. Nice thick, rich lather, that to me feels quite luxurious on the face. Wonderful soap.

Tdmsu likes this.
  15. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

B&M is definitely on my to-try list. I'm looking at Cheshire, as I've heard it's a great earl grey scent. That, and saying you shave with "Barrister and Mann Cheshire" soap just sounds fancy.

16. beardybrewer

beardybrewer New Member

Cheshire is one of my favourites and suits this time of year. It's a comforting scent to unwind to on days you just want to stay in and read a book when the weather is wild.

Porter likes this.
  17. ChiefShaver

That's a very good description. Just on point!!! :)

18. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I have a tub of Seville coming. Can anyone describe it"s scent?

19. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

Well said sir, very well said.

20. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

Anybody have any Vanille they may not be using? Hallows has a very unique scent. Anybody else get a jar?