My Little Rubberset Restore...

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by HolyRollah, Oct 22, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So in all my free time the past few weeks, I've managed to do some restoration work on a number of straight razors, cabinets, razor storage, etc. One thing I haven't done in a good long time is a shaving brush restore.

So I snagged this little 'gem'—and I use this term loosely as this Rubberset is in need of some serious TLC.
    I suppose I just love a GOOD challenge! :D I'm not sure of the diameter of the knot & won't be certain until I have the old brush in hand. TGN boar? TGN badger? Hmmmm.:think002:

Any helpful tips about these long-handled beauties you more-experienced brush men can throw my way would be greatly appreciated on such topics as knot-removal, knot types, adhesives....

It should be fun. :)

[​IMG]

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

This will be fun to watch :)

HolyRollah likes this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Indeed a challenge..the poor thing looks like it's been worked over by the devil.. I'm sure though you'll do something nice with it..best of luck...

HolyRollah likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The phillips head screw in the rubber mount is a nice touch...

5. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I thought I was seeing things... but that really is a screw... LOL. You really do like a challenge, Kevin! I would have passed this one by. Maybe I should reconsider the two old brushes (in similar condition) I saw at a downtown antique store if they're still there.

HolyRollah likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That brush has seen a lot of action. I'm sure you will give it new life again. Be sure to use a stainless phillips head screw when you restore it.

maltedmilk and HolyRollah like this.
  7. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

BOAR!!!!!!!!!

HolyRollah likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nothing but the finest appointments will do! Maybe a torx head will give it that chíc modern vibe!

9. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I suppose the screw was likely put there to keep the ferrule from spinning & the furniture tack above it was to keep the knot from falling out the top. Removal should be easy... back the screw out and twist.
    I'll be looking forward to the after picture on this one.

I think a 'Good Luck!' is in order.

10. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Kinda gives it that art deco look..:cool:

11. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

"Dr Dulcama" has done quite a few restores of these old wood handled professional style brushes on the other forums and often he documented the process quite thoroughly in both text & pictures. Those ferrules usually unscrew and there's often an inner ring as well, both which can be a little tricky navigating around your first time through, but his posts are excellent primers.. That said, I recently finished a couple of similar restos where the ferrules weren't threaded (Dubl Duck & C-MON aluminum handles and a small Strong Set wood handle with a hard rubber ferrule), so there's no "standard model" to work from.

HolyRollah and GDCarrington like this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is recoverable. Sometimes you ask yourself why, but it is recoverable.

HolyRollah likes this.
  13. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Hey, no puttin' the bad mouth on that screw.
    The original owner paid extra for that!
    It was a safety item, standard on the hi-speed model brush. :D

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Isn't that the truth?
    I know there are plenty of other less abused old brushes out there, but the overall sad quality of this brush (maybe it was the screw & carpet tack, or maybe I'm just a sucker for the marina blue/ivory cream color combo ;)) just compelled me to give it a go.
    Hey, if I can make THIS one look and behave like a usable brush, I'll feel as if I've really accomplished something....

CyanideMetal and GDCarrington like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

That's what I'm thinking....
    [​IMG]

Doryferon and BigMark like this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Knot removal may simply need a Dremel with a simple drill bit for a pilot and a 115 bit to burr out the knot given that the ferrule is held in place with a screw.

Worry about the wood first then turn your attention to the rubber with Lexol or a really good leather restorer.

As to the knot, unbanded boar is better in my view on this one.

Adhesive, I would try Tom's method of silicone adhesive until you find the sweet spot, then you can use clear epoxy.

Enjoy!

HolyRollah likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks, Gary!
    Your's is the sort of helpful information I was counting on!
    I agree on the unbanded. :happy088:

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I will be watching this one. Just getting into brush restores myself, but haven't considered one in this shape. Good luck.

HolyRollah and GDCarrington like this.
  19. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I am also looking forward to following this Kevin!!

HolyRollah likes this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks for the lead, Chris!