Cases for your razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jbcohen, Jan 18, 2008.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

When I travel I like to put my safety in a box so it doesn't float around the suitcase and get banged up. Problem is none of mine have their original cases with them. So what do you do for a case for you safety razor? What do straight razor shavers do protect their straight when they travel with it?

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

A hardshell eyeglass case usually works just fine.

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I carry my straight razors in their coffins inside my Dopp Kit.

Raf

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

The two toothbrush-compartments in my Jack Wolfskin hanging travel-thingy :D

5. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

That's interesting Bronco would have never thought of that one. Should have figured that one out Moviemaniac.

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Found a satin lined case at an antique store for $2, also picked up a Gillette New there for $4, and tested the fit, beautiful! :) So that is now my designated travel razor. Now I need to find a way to pack a brush without destroying it

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, rodd!

A travel case for your brush? Try your local pharmacy. Just ask for a large pill bottle. They will most likely give it to you free.

8. Do you worry about closing up brush while travelling ?

Lee

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You can drill holes in the bottle, if you're worried about moisture.

But, if you let your brush dry out good before packing everything up, I wouldn't worry too much.

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

The pill bottle is a good idea, but I will probably put some holes in it. My brushes seem to take a while to dry, and often when I travel, I get ready for the morning, then pack up. A couple good flicks gets the bulk of the water out, but can't hurt to let it breath.

11. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

For the razor you may try a soap carrier. There may be a fit.
    Some places sell a specific razor carrier..I think Gillette may make them.
    I just keep a razor in the strappy holders of my kit.
    A straight razor can fit in a toothbrush holder..If you find the right one :)
    Some folk have mentioned storing their brush in a toilet paper cardboard.
    Drilling a hole for the pill bottle is more long term. If you have a pharmacy, bring the brush with you and they'll give or sell for low $ the pill bottle you want.

12. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

If you have a few straights you have a nice "tool pouch" here (Single pouches further down the page). (I really like the boxes, I would have thought they would be more expensive...)

13. riffin

riffin Active Member

I made one out of PVC pipes from the hardware store. I have a Dovo Vision bursh with a long skinny handle. I made a hole in the PVC end cap that the handle sticks through. Somehow I made it so it works like a turnback travel brush.

It's been a while since I've traveled so I have to pull it out and look at it.

I have a leather case for my DE razor.

14. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

My DE razors fit in the loops of my kit. I bought at the hardware store a couple of soft plastic tubes with a slotted removable end cap that holds stray nuts and bolts normally. $2-$3 I think. I gave one to Rick. He can tell you if it works for him.

15. Be careful with those Gillette razor carriers. :cool: Oh - thats another thread. Nevermind. :eek:

16. riffin

riffin Active Member

Any one have some good ideas for LOCKING storage boxes? Specifically I'm looking for something to hold 1/2 dozen-ish straights. Thanks!

17. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Modify an old cigar box to cater for a small padlock?

18. riffin

riffin Active Member

Yea, I was thinking of that. In fact, I happened to be in K-mart when I was thinking of that. Not only that, but I happened to find myself looking at various lock boxes. For $15 they had a metal firesafe lock box about the size of a vender cash box at a bake sale or something. No coin tray, and a foam pad mat on the bottom. Perfect! So I bought it. Just what I want to keep the fingers of my little ones safe from the wedge blades in my collection (and eventually open blades, when I get them).

19. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

That thing works great !
    My CH1 fits in there perfectly and the lid is slotted so the tube can breathe.
    I've wondered where you found that cause Ive never seen anything quite like it.

:happy096