Knotting my Bethlehem Olive Wood Handle

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by ObiDon, Nov 3, 2014.

1. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Just started looking into getting a knot for my new handle. I have looked at a number of threads on doing this project, and I am going to document my attempt.
    image.jpg

2. ObiDon

So that is the handle and here are the dimensions.
    Hole diameter: 24mm
    Hole depth: 20mm
    Overall handle height: 60mm

I just ordered a Whipped Dog Silvertip 24/65 for it, as my current WD 30/45 is just great. I plan on deep setting it with something to give the handle some extra weight. I will also sand down th varnish that is on it now and use som marine varnish to seal it better. Stay tuned!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Looks great, I have used Bethlehem olive wood to turn pens that I gave away for Christmas a couple of years ago. I also have a Vie-Long horsehair brush with an olive wood handle.

RaZorBurn123 and ObiDon like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I love the grain on that handle.

ObiDon, Boojum1 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Can't wait to see the result! The handle is a great start. A beaut!

Boojum1, RaZorBurn123 and ObiDon like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Don, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Boojum1 likes this.
  7. ObiDon

Disaster in my Den! I picked up my VDH Badger from its stand after it had dried out and the knot moved in the handle. A little wiggle a out it came. I actually like this brush and since I'm working on brush building, I will use as an opportunity to experiment on both. I can test fit this knot in the olive wood handle while I wait on the arrival of my WD Silvertip.
    image.jpg

Boojum1 likes this.
  8. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

That's a beautiful handle! You may have to open up the hole a bit to get the knot to fit. I usually order the knot a millimeter or two smaller than the opening.

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'll be following your progress closely both because I love those olive wood handles...but also because I may well be undertaking a re-knotting myself of another brush

ObiDon likes this.
  10. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Congratulations and I wish you much luck with your handle!
    They have such beautiful grain patterns. I am sure it will turn out to be a great brush for you! :)

ObiDon likes this.
  11. ObiDon

You are correct sir. I had to sand out the inside of the handle to get the knot to fit down deep.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  12. ObiDon

I used my broken VDH brush to play around with different things. I lightly sanded the plastic with 800 grit, and used Cobalt Blue metal flake spray paint. 2 coats and done. Next the handle is hollow and light, so I glued 2 nickels into the bottom, and a wooden dowel to give me the reduced loft for the original knot, about 48mm. I used Gorilla glue which was a mistake. It expands like crazy and got on the edges of the knot. I also had to get rid of the ring on the original knot to get it set lower. So I learned some things on this test. I have epoxy for the olive wood handle. Here are a couple of pics of the "restored" brush.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

13. ObiDon

Back to the olive wood handle. I had to sand out the inside of the handle to get the WD 25/65 to sit low. I also lightly sanded the outside with 800 grit so I could use a clear simi-gloss polyurethane spray finish on it. I did 3 coats over 2 days. This is a pic ready for the knot.
    image.jpg

Tattoobob likes this.
  14. ObiDon

This is the 24/65 Silvertip knot that I received from Larry at Whipped Dog. Nice! He packs it with instructions and Oxyclean to defunk the knot.
    image.jpg

VedderLG and HoosierTrooper like this.
  15. ObiDon

Ok all ready for the install of the new knot. This is a test fit deepset 24/45. I am going to epoxy it in, with just a small amount of epoxy that will just come half way up the bottom of the base of the knot. I will give it a day to cure and will give it a test run.
    image.jpg

16. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Beautiful brush.

ObiDon likes this.
  17. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Sweet, enjoy.

ObiDon likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011:

ObiDon likes this.
  19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That is very cool what you did. I learned about Gorilla glue the hard way too. However, I had a VDH boar that I did a facelift on. It was a green plastic handle. I sanded and painted it with some Krylon spray paint. http://www.jrshaving.blogspot.com/2014/06/van-der-hagen-premium-boar-brush-re-do.html
    [​IMG]

Tattoobob, HoosierTrooper and ObiDon like this.
  20. ObiDon

Very cool! I like that O ring idea. I can use it to cover some of my mistake with the glue. Thanks!

Douglas Carey likes this.