What do you hate about wet-shaving?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by HUF, Nov 16, 2014.

1. HUF

HUF Active Member

We all know what we love about wet-shaving. Nevertheless, there may be also something we hate about it (deep inside). Right?

As for me, I really hate INCONSISTENCY. I know, there are many variables: the razor, the blade, the number of shaves on the blade, the soap, the cream, the brush, the hot shower before, the list goes on, but... even the same set of tools, materials and procedures is used I rarely know whether the shave is going to be great, good, so-so or terrible until it is over. How about you, gents?

ejmolitor37 likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I hate that I didn't start wetshaving when I had the chance back in the 70's.

Macros42, jassch82, Seabs and 19 others like this.
  3. Silverirae

Silverirae Active Member

I hate that no matter how close I get to minimalism another amazing soap or aftershave will come out

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:signs011:

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I hate that there are so many things I want to try.

ejmolitor37, Hodge, KJiggs and 6 others like this.
  6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I hate that I didn't start sooner. Being in the military I could have acquired an incredible collection from all over the world. I also wish I had a bigger shaving buget for all of the AD's that this hobby takes you through.

Other than that, I can't complain. I'm happy with my journey, and feel like I've learned a ton over the past year...it has been a great ride.

The only other thing I hate is interuptions! I have a pretty strict routine and process from start to finish, and I don't like when it gets interrupted. Which is a big reason why I'm a night shaver...after the little ones are in bed.

7. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

:signs011:

pvtbanks and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The 24-hour wait between shaves
    …….
    ;)

jsw41, Ahh Oui, jassch82 and 23 others like this.
  9. HUF

HUF Active Member

Haha! For me, it is 72 hours... Has been like that all my life.

Dzia Dzia, 45auto and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Spot on with me also. Hate it...

Which is why I, since I started, have been on a mission to find a daily kit that I can spice up with some smaller rotations what wont break the experience.

Spud likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

SAD. I am chronic.

Virodoc likes this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I hate that I am not an eccentric millionaire that can collect every razor, soap, etc, etc that c
    I'm the same - don't/can't/won't shave every day. I seem to average about three shaves/week.

13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I'm not much of a hater.

What I don't like is that when you've sharpened a blade or razor the only way to tell if you've done good is by shaving. The next day. And if it isn't done well elough you have to do it again and again have to wait for the next day to test it out.

For the rest: loving it.

Spud likes this.
  14. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I hate to clean up the bath and store everything I used back in the drawer...

Spud likes this.
  15. Greg F.

Greg F. Well-Known Member

I hate when my girlfriend's bangin on the bathroom door asking me what's taking so long because she needs to use the mirror...

God forbid I do that to her or else I'd be in the dog house and sleeping on the couch.

ct boy, S.Garcia, fram773 and 4 others like this.
  16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

The doghouse has a couch? Awesome! :D

Kizurra, DaveL, marbert and 8 others like this.
  17. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Me too. I used to get three days between shaves but for some reason with a DE I get two.

I hate that I need more money to get all the vintage razors I want. Like others here I wish I started sooner but this time last year I hadn't even heard of a DE razor.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  18. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

I hate that I wasn't introduced properly to DE at the time I started to shave. If I had known then, even the basic stuff I've learned off these forums, my life truly would have been so different. My skin by now would have been pristine and I doubt I'd have been as badly plagued by acne as a teenager.

I hate that now that everything is working out shave wise for me, that I have to wait 72 hours between shaves. My shaves are BBS every time and there just isn't enough stubble to bother a blade even every 48 hours or so.
    I hate that the whole DE blade industry is hidden behind closed doors. Sure, there are a lot of great blades on the market, but some transparency would help us gain some knowledge and could lead to greater choice. It may let us know why certain cutting edges and coatings are giving us better results than others.

I hate the market hype that cartridges are the only way!

This last one is quite literally a DE sword - I hate that our way isn't more mainstream. Possibly if it was, we wouldn't feel as blessed as we do, or have the passion about wet shaving that many of us do. I'd love to tell everyone that there is a better and cheaper way than damned cartridges.
    What would the marketplace be like if cartridges had never been invented?

Sean Coughlin and CyanideMetal like this.
  19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I hate it that I wore a beard for a 10 year period and missed all those wonderful shaves. I also hate it that I got rid of the USMC issue razor issued to me in boot camp at P.I. in 1962

45auto and Bama Samurai like this.
  20. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

@HolyRollah
    Doghouse must have couches so these guys can veg out!

Ponies.jpg

Sorry, but I don't hate anything about wet shaving.
    Why, when I've had a trying day, I grab my bowl and brush
    and a couple of soaps and just do some test lathers.
    It works every time. :bounce015:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    Ahh Oui, Kizurra, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.