NO-Variation NOVember - one razor, one brush, one setup, one month. Can you do it?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Shotwell, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I just read the Google page again. If I do any blade tests I am sure it would not be that rigorous...your work was amazing. I am interested in projects like that, but that may be more than I wanna chew at this point! I am sort of seeing 2015 as a year of expanding horizons, but in a methodical way. I am still pondering.

Still in! SOTD 24 November 2014

image.jpg

Jayaruh, Boojum1, Herm2502 and 3 others like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Sticking with the same gear is a great learning experience. I have done these things a few times (same razor and blade combo for 8 months until I got bored, a puck of soap from start to finish, etc.) Now I switch razors up every few weeks and normally work through a puck of soap from start to finish. There are many soaps that seem good enough to use everyday until you go down that path. I relegated a few pucks to shower detail that I thought were good enough when used occasionally. It also shows you how long something lasts when thinking about adding a few more pucks to your shopping cart. Have fun, a month really isnt long at all.

3. necrotic

necrotic Active Member

Still in but had a rough shave today... Put in a new blade (same brand and everything) which I have been doing every 6-7 days or so. Today's blade may be a dud. Will try to flip it tomorrow and see if that's any better.

4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I might have the "NO-vember Crew" here pick my next course of shaving action once this is done. Maybe I'll post a pic of my available razors and let you guys pick which one is next. I can't decide and my fat boy (what I'd really like to use) is getting replated.

Oh well, off to elf practice!

Bama Samurai and Shotwell like this.
  5. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Still in.

Woke up thinking I was surprised I had lasted this long in NO-Variation mode, and thinking I was getting a bit bored. Then, out of nowhere, for no discernible reason I can fathom, I had one of the best shaves I've ever had with the Merkur 34C. It was definitely a BBS two-pass shave with not a single issue -- no pulling, no nicks, no weepers, no blood at all. Barely stung when I applied the alum, but still just about as close a shave as it gets. It was like the stars aligned. Certainly my best shave of the month!

So, I guess I can make it one more week :)

[​IMG]

Jayaruh, tuxxdk, dscaver and 4 others like this.
  6. Herm2502

Had a similar problem a couple days ago (read above somewhere). Ended up tossing the blade. Like yours it musta been a "dud". Don't think flipping will help (I tried that, too).

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Concur that it's a bit boring...but I have been using Voskhod this month and am really impressed. My last few shaves have been great. I finally switched to a new blade after 5 good shaves. Voskhod becoming a co-fave in my den was a nice unexpected outcome of this exercise!

ARKO!!!! (...love Arko...)

Toss blade, carry on! Nice work. Almost there!

This exercise had made me realize that I could actually stick to a simple setup. It wouldn't be exciting, but I could get great shaves and economize if I desired. NOVEmber has helped me "take a step back" from SAD and RAD.

$13 Utopia, $22 100count GSB blades, $13Omega 48, $15 = 3x drug store AS, $5 alum block, $6 3x Arko, $6 = 2xWH, $3 Styptic, $0.99 resin bowl for mixing lather when needed, $0.99 Acrylic Beer Pint for soaking the 48. By my count that's 2 years of shaving for around $80 plus a little shipping. That would be about the cost of two fusion refills at the grocery.

GDCarrington and Shotwell like this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If you love Arko you would really love ...
    [​IMG]
    ... I like this better than Arko!

A little more pricey but worth it.

dscaver and Shotwell like this.
  9. Shotwell

Is that vintage, or actually "new?"

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Wednesday's Planned Shave (87% there)
    sod141126.JPG

GDCarrington, Herm2502 and dscaver like this.
  11. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

I was getting a little nervous about the TSD Lanolin Soap making it to the end, but it looks like it will.

DSCN0098[1] (1024x768).jpg

Dave

GDCarrington and Jayaruh like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I'm already looking forward to December 1. This has been a good ride, and I intend to complete it, but I am looking forward to change. This is what I am thinking about right now.

December 1's Planned Shave

Nivea for Men Sensitive Face Wash
    Tabac
    Omega Pro 49 boar brush (new to me)
    Schick Krona (new to me)
    Feather Hi-Stainless (new to me)
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayers Lemon WH
    Pinaud Vegetal (new to me)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  13. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

New.

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. Herm2502

Getting adventurous I see. I see lots of new stuff there. Maybe you've started "DEcision DEcember"? I like the idea. Maybe I'll start with something new.

Jayaruh and GDCarrington like this.
  15. Shotwell

Ooh, he's whipping out The Veg! We'll need to hear about your experience.

Hope the Krona works well for you. It's a good combo with a sharp blade like the Feather :)

Jayaruh and GDCarrington like this.
  16. Hollow Ground

Hollow Ground New Member

So far all is well, the soap hardly scratched.

Wilkinson Sword boar brush
    Palmolive stick
    Gillette Slim Twist (nos)
    Lazer Platinum blade
    Hi Karate ASB

Jayaruh, GDCarrington and Shotwell like this.
  17. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Nice two pass shave this morning. Have to say I am getting tired of the Captains Choice Bay Rum, but not for long because I am almost out of that also.

DSCN0096[1] (1024x768).jpg

Dave

Shotwell, Jayaruh and GDCarrington like this.
  18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Current production!

tuxxdk and Shotwell like this.
  19. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Hi. Just to say I am still doing this, just been under the weather for, well, most of the month. I have been shaving every other day and in my weakened state using the same setup has been quite advantageous. I don't have to think what shaving products I will use. I just grab my current set up and even on autopilot I can get an enjoyable shave.

20. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thanksgiving Day's Planned Shave (90% there)
    sod141127.JPG