34c vs. Feather Popular Review/Experience

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by badabing10, Nov 25, 2014.

1. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

Got the popular for the long handle and Merkur for the quality.

Shaved for a month with shark blades did not really enjoy the shave until i put a LORD blade and had much better experience. The 34c is my main razor and the only thing I HATE is the short handle, so I got a popular and LOVED the long handle. When I shaved with my 34c, believe it or not by the end of a 3 pass, my hand would have cramps cause it was just uncomfortable position, maybe the weight? Maybe a combination of both not sure.

So tonight I shaved with the feather popular, did my usual 3 pass with/against/cross the grain. After all 3 passes, I still not get the results I was looking for. So I took out the shave soap and lathered up for 1 final pass with the 34c and let me tell you. The 4th pass with the merkur was much better than any pass with the popular. I did 1 cross the grain diagonal and heard the 34c at work!

So if your new to shaving with a double edge razor, and want to give it a whirl I would start with a merkur razor and Lord blade!

This is my current routine

1. Run face under hot water (hottest I can bare in the sink)
    2. Face Lather --> Razo Rock Fresco
    3. With Grain --> Step 1
    4. Againt Grain -->Step 1
    5. Cross Grain --> Step 1
    6. Diagonal/Clean u
    7. Shower
    8. Post Shave Balm --> Nivea Sensitive Skin
    9. If im going out -->splash of clubman --> Pinaud

Questions/Comments/Thoughts?

Thanks for reading

SB

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

just a suggestion
    try going
    with
    across
    against

3. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

I use to shave like that, and did not get as close.

4. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Good recommendation. I started with a Popular and found I needed far too many passes. Then again, I had very few nicks when I started, so it was a good confidence building razor.

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

If you like your Merkur but want a long handle I'd suggest a Merkur 23c. It's all metal, but has a nice long handle like the Popular. Keep trying blades, I bet you find some that work even better than the Lord!

6. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

Im getting the 23c/180 for Christmas and Edwin Jagger Diamond Cut as well.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I think the knurled versions of the EJ are the standard length, somewhere around 3.3". I'm pretty sure I've seen long-handled versions available too.

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Why do you only apply an aftershave when you are going out? What other blades have you tried? I see shark and lords. The Merkur 34c is a super razor.
    We'd love to have you join us in the SOTD! HERE is the link, look forward to seeing there!

9. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

You could also consider the Weber PH as it is a bit more aggressive than the 34C , with a very similar head design and the Ikon Shavecraft 102 Slant is also a very good shaver.
    The Merkur Progress is a lovely adjustable that might help minimize the number of passes you do.
    Good luck. :)

10. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

aftershave Pinaud Clubman --> LOVE IT....just wish it lasted little longer. I usually shave at night, so during the week I shave and go to bed ...no need for aftershave smell....i just use Nieva post shave balm..which is great too.

I have not tired other blades for long time.....Im going to buy some Feathers and Voshkod blades very soon...but right now Lord is def my favorite.

SB

RaZorBurn123 likes this.