Every-Ready 100T Knot Advise

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by clint64, Dec 6, 2014.

1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have a Ever-Ready 100T that I am restoring. I have removed the old knot and cleaned everything up. In removing the knot I did remove the shelf and understand that I will need to fill the void before setting a new knot. The opening is 21.9mm to 22mm now. I am looking at the TGN synthetic knot. I have other brushes with various badger and boar knots and am wanting to try a synthetic knot. Given the opening I am looking at the TGN 20mm 3 band nylon. Never having used a synthetic knot what would you suggest for the loft? Any help advise would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Clint I would not set the loft below 50 mm and for that knot you would want to give as much loft as you can without exposing the base (leave at least a couple of mm below the base to secure the knot). That TGN knot is one that I am very familiar with and you should not try to set it too low because you want the fibers to be able to move about to provide the maximum lather capabilty and to prevent it from feeling like it is a piece of nylon rope rather than a knot.

I hope this helps.

InspiringK and HoosierTrooper like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

That helps a lot. Thanks so much.

4. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

That is probably my favorite style handle, here's three that I have restored. From left to right is a 250T, a 100T and an H40. The 250T and 100T both have Ace Shaving 20mm boar knots, while the H40 has a TGN 20mm synthetic knot that is set at 55mm. I have found the synthetics work best when set right around the mid 50's.

[​IMG]

GDCarrington and clint64 like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Nice trio there of brushes there. Thanks so much for the advise. I'll run it in the mid 50s as both of you have suggested. Thanks again.

Clint

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

+1

7. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is my first restore, 100T set with a TGN Black Badger.

HoosierTrooper and clint64 like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Is that a real badger or a synthetic. I am looking at a synthetic for the brush I am making.

9. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

It's real. TGN Black Badger

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    OK, how do you like it? Does it have any skritch?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  11. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

I agree with getting the loft above 50mm. I recently dropped a 22mm TGN 3-band synthetic into a handle and set the loft at 47/48mm. I was just going by what I had learned I prefer in natural hair, but I will set the next synthetic higher. I still enjoy using this brush, but do feel like the knot has enough backbone and density to support a higher loft.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Decided to go with a TGN Finest on this restore. Saving the TGN 3 band synthetic on another project. I think it turned out pretty well.

Clint

[​IMG]

InspiringK, theFAT98 and GDCarrington like this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Good work and it looks nice. What is the loft in mm?

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Sorry should have said it's at 50mm.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    GDCarrington likes this.
  15. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

Very nice:eatdrink047:

I like that colour combo with the TGN Finest. White-black-white-black. It does a good job of accentuating the white tips of the knot.

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you. I never even thought of the color combo and how it played off of the handle. I have been very pleased with how the brush performs. It's been a joy to use.

GDCarrington likes this.