QRZ? (If you are a Ham, you'll understand) How many here are Amateur Radio Operators?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Radiotube, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Hey guys... I not only wet shave... I also am a ham radio operator, N5PRE. I was surprised to find out that @mantic used to be a ham and is thinking about getting back into it and @BrushnBlade (Rick DeWeese), host of BrushnSoapnBlade Podcast is KJ4WHO.

Who else would like to self identify as a Ham Radio Guy (or Gal)? Are there any of you that talk on the air with each other? If not, perhaps we can start up a Shaving Net. It is much more interesting to discuss the finer points of shaving on the air than to talk about computers, which seems to be very popular.

If you're not a ham and are interested, let us know here on this thread. Resources to find out more about amateur radio are plentiful and "Elmering" (teaching someone else about ham radio) is a tradition amongst hams. It's a fun hobby and my bet is that many more of you are either interested in it or are already into ham radio than the average person that doesn't wet shave. There seems to be an affinity to like both out there... we're not ordinary people... we are smart enough to walk away from the expensive cartridge system (in most cases) and like do-it-yourself projects... which a lot of hams also are like. We find another way.

Links you might find helpful:

ARRL - What is Ham Radio?Amateur Radio Newsline - Weekly news about ham radio for over 30 years without missing a week (I helped create this site and maintain the podcast feed every Friday)

Online feeds to hear Amateur Radio!

Yes, you have to pass a test to be licensed... but... it's not that hard. Some people can study for one day and pass the Technician license exam. Here's a resource I used:
    HamTestOnline - how I went from Technician Plus to General and then Extra license! Smart Study Guide... it re-asks the questions on tests that you miss more often when studying.

Where can I take a test in my area? Check HERE

I hope there's more than just a few of us here that are interested in Ham Radio. If so... let the rest of us know here!

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I listen to an Internet feed of a SoCal repeater...it's zany fun in the middle of the night. Spoken word radio is actually my favorite medium of info/entertainment. I have considered this hobby...

wristwatchb and Slipperyjoe like this.
  3. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Chris is that the "435" repeater out of Los Angeles you're talking about? I think I have heard the online feed for that too and they don't necessarily follow FCC rules for language and making sure to ID every 10 minutes or more often. When I heard it, I wondered why the FCC allowed it to exist. It was outrageous!

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I once had the bug but never actually took the plunge. My brother's been a Ham for a long time and he's tried, on occasion, to get me into it. There are costs as well as logistical concerns ie..where to put up all that frikin antenna stuff..though my brother seems to do ok from his apartment. Might be kinda nifty to talk about shaving though..:think002:

Radiotube likes this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Shhh...it's terrible and I know it. I sit there aghast at times, but other times they get into really fun stuff. But you're right, they are not following any rules.

6. Bama Samurai

I did make me shop HAM equipment and look into licensing stuff.

7. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

With the advent of a new insurgence of Chinese "Handie Talkies" (walkie talkies to the layman) like THIS one, you can get a radio for less than $50 that you can program and talk on local repeaters with FM clarity. The HF (High Frequency) stuff is a different type of radio and can cost a bit more, but even the least expensive of those can get amazing results. The lowest level license (Technician) has rights to talk on HF 10 meters, which is just below the Citizen Band frequencies and when the sun spots and conditions are good, you can talk around the world. Those radios can be had at a reasonable price and the antenna length for 10 meters is smaller than the other bands, so you could make a stealth dipole antenna and have great results or go mobile with a whip that looks like a CB antenna!

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

...if this starts a new obsession here...I am blaming crediting you!

Slipperyjoe and Radiotube like this.
  9. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

If that happens, my mission is successful!:angelic007:

10. Bama Samurai

I have actually been kicking this around in my head since March.

Radiotube likes this.
  11. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I knew we were like minded in so many ways...

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Back in the early 70's when I was a pre-teen, I had an uncle who was big into ham radio in fact he was one of the last to receive a 1x2 extra class license. (Still remember his call both prior to and extra) I helped string antennas, he let me listen and even talk once in a while on air and would go to the novice bands and have me follow along to work on my morse code. I even went to a few local club meetings. I studied for the exam back then and was all set including the morse code WPM requirements but sadly never tested and as I got older and involved in other things drifted away. To this day I use KK when texting...my wife doesn't understand but she plays along.

13. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

That's a cool story. I wish I had started earlier too, but there's no time like the present! You don't even need to know the Morse code anymore.
    I got interested when I visited an aunt of mine and in the bedroom where I slept was a multi-band transistor radio that had shortwave. I heard all sorts of interesting stations from other countries, some of them even speaking English! That still fascinates me. You can learn a lot about the World by listening to shortwave radio. I heard some ship-to-shore phone calls and ham radio operators as well. I soon found young people talking on ham radio too, so I got the bug. I eventually got the Morse code down and got my Novice license. Within a year after that, they dropped the Morse requirement. I upgraded to Technician Plus (the Plus designated I knew Morse Code) and kept that class of license for a long time. Then I got the desire to max out my license and did so within a few months of casual study a few hours per week. I'm glad I did. Now I have privileges all over the ham bands I didn't have before. I just need to find the time to use those privileges!

dbersh, wristwatchb and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I can't count the hours listening to my uncles home made morse code cassette tapes to learn it. He even set up a key and speaker (with headphone jack so my parents wouldn't strangle me) to practice on. Sadly he passed last summer and that's what triggered me to possibly look into it again. That's when I realized A LOT has changed in the 35 or so years since I last was interested. After the first of the year will likely look into it again....if I can remember how to study. Don't know what written is like now but back then it got VERY detailed and complex, way beyond turn on let tubes warm up and hand turning dials on frequencies....I'm going way back for that!

Shaver X, wristwatchb and Radiotube like this.
  15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I have my license, but I haven't been on the air in awhile. Maybe I will become active again someday! I have met some very nice folks through ham radio over the years!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Bama Samurai, dbersh and Radiotube like this.
  16. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'm a lifelong shortwave listener, and used to work in commercial radio, but never had any inclination fot ham for some reason.

17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I enjoy SWL also!

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  18. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I just spoke to the brother and he wanted to know what band you're planning to put the shaving discussion group on...

19. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

KM5LS here. I would be interested in an on-air shaving net. That would be really cool

Radiotube likes this.
  20. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I thought I'd throw the idea out there and see if there are any takers. I hadn't taken it any further than that. I only have a 40 meter antenna currently, so I would only be able to use 40 meters to attempt a QSO or net. SO, it sounds like two, besides me so far might be interested in a net. I might not be able to pull anything together until the weekend after Christmas though for an attempt. Anyone else interested in a 40 meter net?

73 de N5PRE