teamTOBS

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Gilligan and Walter, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Gilligan and Walter

Gilligan and Walter Active Member

This is a thread I had created on another forum under my user name of " Mendel." (Mendel was my beloved 17 year old dachshund that passed away two years ago.)

As the thread title name implies, if you love Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) Shave Cream as much as I do, this is the place for you.

Tattoobob, Spud and WhiskerWhacker like this.
  2. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

I've only tried the Sandalwood so far and think the scent is fantastic. I can get a good lather but it seems to dry quickly on my face. It could be the hard water and dry air here in the desert. Going to keep trying it out and hopefully get it working better.

45auto likes this.
  3. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I received the sandalwood cream from my secret Santa and I really like it. I followed up with a purchase of Mr Taylors and it's nice too. I would like to try grapefruit or avocado next.
    TOBS creams provide a great cushion and slickness in my opinion.

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. Gilligan and Walter

Just wondering, was your face nice and wet before you started to lather? Was your brush too dry?

Send me a private message (PM) with your name and address and I will send you a small vial of Mr. Taylor, Grapefruit, and Peppermint.

Omelmad likes this.
  5. Gilligan and Walter

Send me a PM with your name and address and I will send you a small sample vial of Grapefruit...the scent is intoxicating!

Mr. Shaverman and Omelmad like this.
  6. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Tobs avocado is the best shave cream ever made. Ever. Ever.

Even better than truefitt and hill ultimate comfort.

7. WhiskerWhacker

I think once I made it too wet and the water evaporated out of the lather too quickly. The other times it's just been too thin. I'll keep tweaking my technique until I get it going. I know from reviews that it is a great cream, just gotta get it there. Will send PM, thanks for the samples! Enjoy your stay here at TSD, great bunch of people here.

Omelmad likes this.
  8. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

First of all. Sorry for your loss. Time may be a healer, but it's not a cure.

Second of all. TOBS. WOW. I don't know where to start. I'm about 4 months into to DE shaving, and the thing I love most is my TOBS. My weekly rotation includes lavender cream. My special occasion/ going out for dinner set up is TOBS Eaton collection shave cream and a/s. I also use TOBS sandalwood deodorant spray as my daily, and at the mo, although for the price it's a bit of an extravagance, I do use the herbal pre shave. I can't say enough good words about them. Yes it's not the cheapest, and I don't have enough miles on the clock to say it's better than any other, but for me, it performs easily, very well, and always smells fantastic.

9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

TOBS lathers very quickly, but the lather isn't ready when it first starts to bloom. It creates what I call a 'false lather' well before it's ready for your face. Try this (assuming you're bowl/mug lathering): When you think it's ready for your face, squeeze your brush out, add about 10ml of water to the bowl and lather for about 30-45 more seconds. Look at the lather, see if it's developed a shiny sheen. If it has, lather for like 10 more seconds and go at it. If it hasn't, add another 5-10ml and lather again for another 30-45 seconds and check again. It will likely have the sheen at that point. Go ahead and lather.

jwr0201, jeraldgordon, Omaney and 6 others like this.
  10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I've got peppermint and now almond I'm fond of TOBS. Rose or lavender may be next. I really need to put a dent in the soaps and creams I have though. I have too many.

Yeah, right.

11. WhiskerWhacker

I have been bowl lathering and applying as soon as it looks ready. I'll try this out tomorrow or Saturday and report the results. Thanks for the tips!

12. LeftyShaver

LeftyShaver New Member

Really like TOBS. Sandalwood is my favorite atm. Maggard razor does a really nice TOBS sample pack. I think it includes 12 sents for like 20 bucks.

Jwilcox21 likes this.
  13. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

TOBS Avocado was the 1st cream I bought when I switched to wet shaving. Great lather, cushion and scent which is very fresh and clean. A favorite of mine still. Since then I've purchased TOBS Sandalwood, Lavender, Rose and Jermyn St. Again all are great creams and give great shaves. Can't go wrong with TOBS

14. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

TOBS Sandalwood was the second cream I purchased. Once I figured out it loves water my lather has been great. Hope to try some other scents in the near future.

15. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Gonna try this right now. I had posted that I was experiencing some irritation from the sandalwood even though it is my favorite scent. Im pretty sure im too dry as its been quite thick and drying on my face fast. Ive ordered the grapefruit based on all the rave reviews and may have to get me some avacado....

16. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

My brother and I have talked about visiting the shop when I next visit him. Every few years we head back to our old stomping ground where we grew up in London to remember the old times.

According to the price list its £70 sterling for a ' full shave'.

I don't know what you get extra with a full shave. Maybe you get to take the brush home.

Mr. Shaverman and Omelmad like this.
  17. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Do they use a brush on you? That's weird

18. Peders

Peders Member

Have been growing a beard for about three years now but started wetshaving again just before Christmas. Got a tube of TOBS sandalwood shaving cream for Christmas from my girlfriend. I have been using almost all their other scents but this is my favourite so far. Feels very nice and the subtle scent settles in a very nice way and stays for a bit longer.
    My other favourites include Eton college and the Mr Taylor.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  19. clk

clk Member

Mr. Taylor fan here, but that is the only scent I have opened. I have Sandlewood and Avacado waiting in the wings.:)

wristwatchb and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  20. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

You're going to love the shave you get from the Avocado

Gilligan and Walter likes this.