January 2015 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

My wife is a horse lover and has raised horses before so I could probably give in to my growing BAD for that one and even get her approval! Bonus points! And yes, a reaction plus wife's thumbs down definitely equals a change in the aftershave. Neither of those issues are fixable.

wristwatchb and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

AS is not strictly part of BSG. I have heard others remark that sandalwood can irritate. I plan on doing BSG, and switching up AS a lot! It's a way we can change our photos!

GDCarrington and Troy M like this.
  3. TrentRTR

TrentRTR Well-Known Member

Since I already had it thought I would use it in lieu of the alum until I grab one in the next couple days. Bad idea?

Troy M likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

No. Works the same!

Troy M likes this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Preparation is the key...legendary Alabama Coach Bryant, talking to incoming freshman about how effort and prep maximize results...

Droo78, TrentRTR and Jostalli like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Hang on...have to remove my shoes and cover my head before I'm worthy to listen to the Bear.

TrentRTR, Troy M and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Correct, AS, Frags and Balms are not a part of the 30 Day Rule.

Bama Samurai and Troy M like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

A revisit on SOTD to my original 30 Day kit! image.jpg

My rule will start on the Third. Keep on keeping on!

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

1/1/2015 BSG 30 Day - Day 1

Prep - Hot Shower
    Razor - Mongoose Satin B2
    Blade - Kai Mild (1)
    Brush - Rubberset 400 with WSP HMW
    Lather - Soap Commander Confidence
    Post - Witch Hazel and Dove After Shave Balm

[​IMG]

I made a change in my original plan for the 30 days. I was going to use my New LC razor but then my Mongoose Razor that I have been waiting on since the 1st of October arrived yesterday. I just do not have the will power to not use the new razor for a month.

Being my first shave with a SE razor much I was hopeful that this shave would end well. Given the reputation of the blades for the Mongoose I would have been happy with anything short of a full blood bath. As expected the Soap Commander was easy to lather and provided a good slick and cushioning later. I took my time with the shave and to my surprise, I found the correct shaving angle easy to find an maintain. I did a 2 pass shave with the fist WTG and the second XTG on the cheeks and jaw line and ATG on the neck. With a final touch up around my chin, I ended up with a nearly BBS shave. At least as good as I have ever achieved.

I will continue to use this setup for the next 30 days. I might change blades in the search to find the right blade for me.

10. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I just got one of these, but I can't use it until February...

Troy M, Misphit and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. TrentRTR

TrentRTR Well-Known Member

I shave every other day and have been doing a practice lather with Williams, and VDH on non-shave days. The Williams wow... So glad I only paid 89 cents for it. Figure if I can ever get it to work I can lather anything.

maltedmilk, Troy M and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Happy New Year!

And I'm off!

Day 1 of 30 Day BSG Trial

CWS

ATT S1 Kronos

Rapira PL

Plisson

Cade

Great start to the 30 day trial. 3 pass BBS with minor touch ups. 1 weeper. My lather could have been a little slicker, but I was able to salvage it mid-shave.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420150862.805092.jpg

13. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

First Shave of the day for the 30 challenge using the following
    1912 Gem Damaskene Razor
    GEM Stainless Steel Coated Single Edge Blade
    Vie Long 12705 Horse Hair Brush
    C. O. Bigelow Menthol Shave Cream
    Super Safety Razors Large Stainless Steel Shaving Soap Bowl

Initial impressions, the handle is SMALL. Since I usually use an atlas handle the size did take some getting used to. For comparison, I have included the Phoenix DE razor with its handle. While the Phoenix handle is smaller than I am used too, it is much larger by over half than the Damaskene handle. On top of that the Damaskene handle is tapered near the top so choking up is a challenge as well. I finally reached a compromise by placing one finger on the back of the razor for stability and was able to get it to work reasonably well. Prep only consisted of taking a hot shower while the Vie Long soaked in the bowl which was filled with hot water. I am not sure if it was is necessary with a horse hair brush, but it made a huge difference with the boar I usually use. After the shower I loaded up the brush and applied the Bigelow to my face. I inserted the gem blade and made a test swipe down my cheek which was unusually harsh. I removed the blade and stropped it on my arm, which I saw in a thread somewhere, and tried again. Surprisingly it made a huge difference as the next passes were as smooth as I could want. Then I moved to the neck where it took several minutes to figure out the grip and angle that worked best. I did encounter one weeper that was pretty severe, but that was the fault of the operator and not the razor as it was caused by me losing my grip and jerking it trying to catch it. Hindsight would have let me drop the razor more and keep it away from the skin. All said, the shave was rather nice and I look forward to seeing how long the blade lasts compared to a DE razor.

Side note, the Vie Long handle is smaller than I am used to. I may have to step up to a larger handle if I continue to use one.

IMG_20150101_170101_606.jpg

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I put the lid right back on after I'm done using it.

15. Bama Samurai

SE stropping, head geometry, blade angle, brush prep...lots of good stuff here!

Troy M and Misphit like this.
  16. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

January 30 Day Challenge
    5 Month noobie.

Prep: Hot shower Nivea Face Wash
    Brush: WD 22mm
    Soap: C.O. Bigelow
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue
    Razor: Gillette Ball Tech 1951

This morning's shave was a very comfortable 3 pass shave for 48 hours growth. Pleasantly surprised with this razor this time did not particularly care for it the last time I tried it. Trying to focus on light pressure by holding the razor at the end of the handle and getting a cleaner shaved neck area this month.

Happy New Year

image.jpg

17. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

01/01 – Day 1 with the Weishi
    Objective: Survive a month using low end entry level products.

2015-01-01 18.57.47.jpg
    • Growth: 2 days
    • Prep: Hot shower; Corn Huskers Lotion
    • Lather: Arko – Face lathered
    • Brush: Escali Badger
    • Razor: Weishi 9306/Microtouch One
    • Blade: Derby Extra (1)
    Today’s Results: Not bad. WTG-XTG-ATG and a DFS. A solid 4/5 stars. Two days growth gave the dull Derby a challenge but no irritation resulted. Arko provided thick-n-slick lather with little to no work. I don't think this brush will have any hair left by end of month. Happy New Year!

18. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Got called into work, something expensive broke. Sorry for being late, and no pictures. I'm toast.

Prep:
    Warm shower and a gentle face wash with Ivory bar soap.
    Pat dry and to the sink.
    Lather Fuel: VDH Deluxe
    Brush: Omega 49 Pro
    Razor: Merkur 45 (that red & black plasic one...)
    Blade: Derby Extra (new)
    AS treatment: Thayers Witch Hazel, then a goodly splash of Osage Rub. (Ummmmmm....... Frosty! :Animatedfrozensmily: )

Result:
    Today is the first day for me with the Derby blade in the Merkur Red & Black.
    I've got to say, it didn't go as well as I would have liked.
    This razor is somewhat particular on blade/face angle, and it is nothing like any of my other Merkur's.
    So, I'm a bit scraped on my neck, especially left of the Adam's Apple.
    Cheeks and chin are fair, but I can tell after just one shave that I've got some serious work ahead of me.
    Overall, not really even a DFS.
    Could have cleaned this up easily with one pass from my Merkur 30C, but I'm not gonna do it.
    Sticking with the 45 'till I get it figured out.

I have tomorrow off, and I'm looking forward to being able to take a bit more time and being more careful.
    Oh, and I'll try to get a picture or two also.

Happy Shaving everybody!! :bounce017:

19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I appreciate your dedication. I had the same temptation after my near disaster this morning. Reached for my EJ89 but refused. That's one reason I broke it down and cleaned it before starting. It's not as easy to just grab and give up. Thanks for the post. I was wondering how the Merkur 45 did. Interesting looking razor and one that captured my interest in this thread.

Bristle Me, Bama Samurai and Troy M like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

I prefer my Arko with lime and chiles. Never tried just salt and pepper! Breakfast of champions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.