How to make awesome peanut butter and jelly

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by FanofAceVentura, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Oh Man.

2. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I never tried PBJ, maybe I should one day, sounds interesting... :)

BamaT and tuxxdk like this.
  3. Heatgain

Heatgain New Member

I always use Smucker's Blueberry Preserves, never jelly. In my mind, Smucker's blueberry preserves is what caviar SHOULD taste like.

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'm picky about my PB&J. I don't like crunchy peanut butter. I only like Jif creamy. No white bread either. But I can make due with either grape or strawberry jelly.

It's weird, other people I have talked to in other countries think PB&J sounds gross. They don't know what they're missing.

FanofAceVentura likes this.
  5. FanofAceVentura

FanofAceVentura Well-Known Member

Waaaaaaaat!!!!!!! :angry021:

BamaT and KLF like this.
  6. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Neither have I.

It's an American thing, like so much else. :)

KLF likes this.
  7. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

I choose not to discriminate with Peanut Butter - smooth or chunky, Peter Pan or Jif - Let's enjoy all of life

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I can't stand peanut butter...it's the American version of Vegemite to me - equally disgusting :) I think its one of those things you have to have grown up with. Also, if memory serves me right peanut is an extremely fatty legume. Not good for the diet :)

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

With the rise of nut allergy awareness, pb is one of those products that is now carefully monitored in schools.
    That said, I LOVE peanut butter—but prefer either the coarser homemade product or the all natural varieties.
    The mass-produced stuff (Jif™ or Skippy™ and the like) have all the natural-occurring peanut oil removed during the processing, and cheaper oils are added back in, plus corn syrup or other sweeteners & salt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

PB&J is greatness in any fashion. Having grown up on JIF, Skippy, and others of their ilk, I also now prefer the fresh ground butters (bless Whole Foods and Central Market) over the mass marketed varieties. SWMBO is a jelly and preserves diva so there's never a shortage of that fruity goodness. Now, for a nice change of pace, try almond butter. Mmmmm

wristwatchb likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yet contains enough protien to be considered meat.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's the one right there.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

14. Jostalli

Being from Georgia I am just an hour or so from the Peanut butter source - Peanut butter, roasted, or my favorite boiled on a roadside stand. :eatdrink020:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    BamaT, gorgo2 and Kilgore Trout like this.
  15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Wash it down with ice cold whole fat milk.

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Now that I'm in N.C., I see canned boiled peanuts for sale everywhere. Never had them before and I don't get the point. Can you explain them to me? Are they packed in water? Serious question.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Driving through Georgia, my wife and I stopped at a stand to buy some 'fresh boiled peanuts!'
    I had heard about them from my southern friends and so now was the time to satisfy my curiosity.
    Two piping-hot bags and the taste?…...Soggy, mushy hot peanuts…ugh!
    Okay, maybe this guy was having a bad day boiling—and perhaps others actually know what they're doing—but these were dreadful.
    I looked at my wife, who had a similar expression on her face as me :sick007:

It certainly cured my desire to try more.
    This is, of course, an isolated experience as I'm certain other boiled peanuts MUST be better than this sampling.
    Comparable to someone trying a cheap California box wine, gagging, and claiming all California wines are swill. :D;)

18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:shocked003: :shocked003: :shocked003: :shocked003: :shocked003:

19. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

You'd enjoy how I get my peanut butter here. One of the local stores has a peanut butter machine; basically a big grinder with a hopper filled with shelled peanuts. Press a button and get homemade style peanut butter.

BamaT, Jostalli and HolyRollah like this.
  20. Jostalli

Avoid the canned boiled peanuts at all cost!! :rolleyes005:

I admit they may not be from everyone.

Ideally you can find them at a roadside fruit and veggie stand and they are being boiled in large cast iron pot. They can be a bit mushy but should not be total mush. - Pop the shell and all in your mouth. Using your tongue remove the nut and chew it. Then suck the salt water out of the shell and remove the shell. Don't eat the shell.

My family has been in Georgia for 200 years so I can't help the way I talk.

gorgo2 and Darkbulb like this.