Mason Pearson Shaving Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Bronco, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Any one ever hear of these or own one. Not much info out there on specs.
    Price is about $140 on sale, regular price $230. Their comment; This superlative brush is fitted with extra-soft silver-tip badger bristles. Ergonomic handle design for a comfortable grip. Just browsing.
    [vbpg]1139[/vbpg]

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I haven't, Steve, but that's a sweet looking brush! Nice old school packaging, too.

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Magnum is on the hunt again :)

4. Padron

Padron Active Member

$230 regular price :eek: That brush, to me does not look to be worth the price of admission....doesn't appear to look like most others Silvertips either :confused:

5. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Mason Pearson is best (?) known for their hair brushes. Their home page does not work. I did find a email address for Mason Pearson Bros Ltd. I have contacted them requesting information such as knot size, height of the loft, maker, etc... of their shaving brushes. No response as of yet. :confused:

6. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

it depends Bronco ,

Do you know if the handle is made from Horn ? ,Wood , Resin, Acrylic etc
    that would be a big part of the price . the knot indeed looks weird to me not at all silvertip but that could be visual deception you would never know untill you have her in your hands.

It looks like a very sweet brush :drool

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

So....Did you get it?

8. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I'm still waiting on a reply about my request for info. I really don't think I'll get one but they may suprise me. Here's a picture of what they call "pure badger".
    [vbpg]1148[/vbpg]
    I like the look of the longer handle which is made from Acrylic from what I have read. They only offer two brushes, a pure badger and a super badger.
    Prices are $87-$140 and $140-$230 respectively depending upon where you shop. If they reply to my request for information, I'll post it. I like the look but they don't seem to have a priority with shaving brushes meaning that those of us wanting information before we buy, probably won't. :D

9. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

looks the same to me unless I need new eyes.. :confused:

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

:rofl That's what I thought! Maybe they could only afford one photo!

11. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Here's the only other photo I could find. It was labeled "silvertip". You are right Rene, they all look the same! :D
    [vbpg]1149[/vbpg]

12. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

A fellow wetshaver set me this note:
    "Some people say that they're made by Vulfix, and that is probably the most likely, although I'm not certain. The one's I've seen certainly seemed quite similiar. In the US, they've always been way over priced, but in the UK, have been a little more reasonable."

If I come across anything else, I'll let you know. I'm marking it off my list for now. :D

13. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

well, those brushes do look okay, I like the handle - looks different :)

14. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I saw the first one pictured herein on Amazon.com. It was a little less than $140, but time you add in shipping, that was about right.

15. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Still waiting....

I did receive this reply from the company.....

"Thank you for your enquiry, which has been forwarded to our USA importer, Harry D. Koenig, for a detailed reply.

Best wishes, M J Pearson"

16. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Brush info from MP

"Thank you for your enquiry. Our shaving brushes measurements as follows:

Height from bottom of the base to the top of it at 2.5"(63mm).

Width of flat part of base: 1 3/8" (32mm).

Widest part of the base: 1 7/16" (37mm).

Height of the filament from the base to where it begins to taper : varying between 1 3/8" & 1 5/8" (34mm - 40mm).

Height from the top of the short hair to the top : 1/2" (12.5mm).

The Loft (the total height from the handle's top to the top of the brush) this can vary generally between just over 2 inches (50mm) to 2 1/4 inches (58mm) and at times more, but not more than 2 1/2inches (63mm).

Best wishes,

Mason Pearson Bros Ltd"

17. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Final Chapter - Case Closed

The reply to when I asked if any were "silvertip"? Some of the retailers advertise "silvertip", Rene was right, they didn't look it.

"Thank you for your reply. We do not have Silver Tip brushes which are not often bought and are extremely expensive.
    For your information, it appears that the Super Badger works better with shaving cream and the Pure Badger works better with the hard soap.
    Best wishes,

Mason Pearson Bros Ltd"

That would make these a "little" expensive!

18. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

I own a Mason Pearson Badger, I think it is the Super. It's my everyday brush. Really, a very good brush but probably not worth the US prices you guys are talking about. Mine was a Christmas gift from my wife when I first started using straights a few years ago.

James.

19. I would be wary. Not known in shaving geek circles as "one to get". Rooney, Simpson, and Vulfix seem to be the most recommended. MP never comes up! So be careful.

20. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Just because there's no hype about a brush it doesn't mean it's no good ;) There are many mostly unknown makers out there who make GREAT brushes.

It's the same with DEs and straights: Just because 98% of all men on this world swear by multi-blade or electric razors, it doesn't mean you can get a GREAT shave with the "old stuff" :D