What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

:bounce015:OK - let's face it, we all like to do manly things. What manly stuff did you all do today? No doing the dishes, grocery or clothes shopping or baking a quiche allowed in this one!
    For me, it was starting the day off with a nice FIRST successful shave with a 57 year old DE razor, followed by oggling all of my newly acquired shaving gear, then later, off to have a good cigar with some strong Cuban coffee. Later, I'll have another with a nice sipping rum or bourbon. Geez- might have to get out all the 357 magnum S&W's and Rugers and lay hands on them. Ain't guy-stuff great! If I could to the Tim Allen Tool Time bark/grunt well, that would be the icing on the cake!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Started off with a hot shower and a great str8 razor shave.
    Me and a couple guys went up to Hamburg, PA. Stopped in Cabela's and checked out some fly fishing gear. Went up to their cafeteria and had an elk buger. Then went one parking lot over to Cigars Internation Super Store. Picked up some cigars to stock my humidor, then sat up in their loft and thoroughly enjoyed a Cohiba Nicaraguan.

Manly enough? :cool:

3. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Does deciding not to shave today count?

Carbide Mike and wristwatchb like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Only if you ate it rare! ;)
    Cabelas & Cigars….sounds like a manly day to me! :happy088:

I worked in my garage/shop area sorting through boxes, cleaning and calibrating power tools; general shop clean up.
    Sharpened some wood chisels; new band saw blade installed; helped my son change the tire on his truck. Took our great dane for a walk around the block.
    Showered tonight & then shaved with a 110-year old straight razor, using MWF.
    Home-made pizza tonight with anchovies, accompanied by a Guinness stout…room-temp, of course. ;)
    great day today….manly or not. :D

5. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Got up at dawn. Made coffee in a percolator. Deleted my facebook app. Minim 7 day hiatus. drove 4 hours to a friends house to deliver a n AR-15 I worked on. Drove home. Continued cleaning the garage, (from yesterday). Ed to say add one shot of whiskey and a steak dinner.

stream26, Dansco and Lepidgeon like this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

This morning after running several errands I went to my friend's house and ran my motorcycle for about 20 minutes. She's got a big heated pole barn that I use for storage in the winter so I usually run out there at least weekly and fire it up for awhile. After that I stopped by a nearby antique store and looked at several straights but didn't buy anything. Then when I got home I worked on a couple of Schick injectors that came in the mail this week that are in the cleanup process.
    All of that was only semi-necessary because what I was really doing was putting off my afternoon project that I didn't feel like doing.

A couple of Sundays ago when it was sub-zero my wife's garage door froze at the bottom so the opener jerked the supports free from three of the panels and ground the nylon gear to dust.

Neither the door or the garage is in too good of shape after being hit more than once but fixing it was cheaper than a new one plus the garage has been threatening to fall down for the last few years so I'd be ticked if I put a new door on only to have the rest of it disintegrate, so today when the temps finally got above freezing I drilled some holes and bolted the supports solid to the panels (which seems to be much sturdier than the rivets and adhesive used by the manufacturer) and got the door bent back semi-straight and running fairly smooth in the tracks.

Then I pulled the opener down thinking I might be able to repair it but considering the time it would take, the probable availability of parts on a 20 year old opener, the amount of things that could go wrong trying to take it apart and put it back together again, all added up to just going to Sears and buying a new one.
    Couple of hours later and we had success. I was able to use the existing brackets, safety eyes, and wall control so that saved a bunch of time. I put the vehicles back in their proper places, thanked the neighbor for providing a third hand near the end of the installation, and put away my tools.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    Thashavecave and jamespasini69 like this.
  7. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Started off with a 1966 Gillette Super speed flair tip shave, trip to old fashioned barber for haircut and straight razor neck shave and then purchased a 1900 era Murray&Lanman NY Druggist Flordia Water hand blown bottle....

Dansco and jamespasini69 like this.
  8. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I had a pedicure...

No, not really. Just took my car in for an oil change and state inspection, and like usual told them I don't need the cabin filter replaced (at $70) since I have one I bought for $13 in my garage and will do it myself. Did a bit of hedge trimming since the temp got up into the 60's today. Started a fire in the firepit and had a Padilla Reserva cigar and a glass of Johnnie Walker Black label on the back patio. Pretty nice day.

9. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Shaved with a wacker 6/8. Honed a Revisor 8/8 for tomorrow. Fixed the clothes drier. Cleaned up the my tool room and organized my hones. Then had breakfast

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I can only wonder how much better that burger would have been if had been fresh elk done over a proper charcoal pit.

jamespasini69, jakie55 and HolyRollah like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:drool::eatdrink020::eatdrink020::eatdrink020:

jamespasini69 likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

…oh, and no water tonight. Decided instead to use kerosene—just to be manly….

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I ignored my back pain, walked 2-3 miles and took a cute girl out for Bloody Mary's.

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I smoked 15lbs of pork. Does that count?

Pork6.jpg

Jim O, gorgo2, stream26 and 20 others like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

That qualifies in my Manly Handbook.

jamespasini69 and PanChango like this.
  16. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

That depends...
    Is it store bought or did you kill it yourself?

jamespasini69 likes this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I pulled a sharpened spork on my butcher...

Actually I had no plans of cooking today until I walked past it marked down to $.69 a pound. I just grabbed them both and went from there.

18. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

:angry021:Now Here's some REAL he-men! That pedicure had me worried for a moment...! When is dinner...those butts look great! I'm replacing the grates and gonna get the smoker fired up!

jamespasini69 and PanChango like this.
  19. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

20150117_200139_1.jpg

I actually did pull out the drill today. Got tired of my bull riding buckles laying loose in my dresser cubby.

I also took my kids shopping for new cowboy boots and did a few loads of laundry and some dishes. Real men help their wives with chores too.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

REAL men don't use grates. We simply hold the meat in our hands over the fire. :D

richgem, Enrico, Dansco and 7 others like this.