Lets talk salt.

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by mikewood, Jan 20, 2015.

1. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I purchased a container of non-iodized salt from a large retailer and I have to say it's some of the best salt I have tasted. The usual iodized salt to me has a zinc/metallic taste. We have a small bowl at the house that was full of the non-iodized salt and its used for everything from
    Popcorn to steaks and vegetables.

Just wondering if you can tell the difference between iodized a a non-iodized salt and if so then do the more exotic salt wafers really make that much more difference.

BamaT likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I can't abide iodized table salt. Too metallic and harsh on the tongue. We switched over to kosher salt years ago. It's tough to go back to the standard iodized or non-iodized table salt (both taste excessively harsh to my tastebuds).
    In charcuterie, salt is a critical ingredient and after testing a variety of salts (from organic sea salts, canning & pickling salts, to more exotic varieties such as Sel Gris), I've still found nothing beats the kosher stuff.
    Since it can clump and has larger crystals, I need to measure by weight, not volume, in certain recipes.

The larger crystals are not as strong on the tongue and and they dont have the hint of harshness that is present in fine grain processed salts.

[​IMG]

BigMike, mrchick and BamaT like this.
  3. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Pink Himalayn salt for the last several years. Absolutely delicious - almost sweet. Use it on everything.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I try to avoid salt. When I do use salt, it's normaly sea salt.

Carbide Mike and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I also avoid salt, but I prefer Kosher salt.

Carbide Mike and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Gray sea salt from Normandy

BamaT and Carbide Mike like this.
  7. jeraldgordon

Why do you all avoid salt? Absolutely essential nutrient, and adds flavor to foods. What's to avoid?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

High blood pressure.

Carbide Mike and BigMark like this.
  9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Modern foods already have more salt in them than necessary. Salt may be an essential nutrient, but that doesn't mean too much of it's a good thing.

10. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I have never thought about it. This makes me very curious!

I have a brand that I have used all my life I believe it's iodized. But In my salt mill I have another brand. Hmm... Gotta test this.

I have been thinking of trying himalaya salt because the colors are appealing to me, I know it would have a different taste too. But never knew it would taste better!

Carbide Mike and jeraldgordon like this.
  11. KLF

KLF Doctorin

We use Red Sea salt :)
    tried the Himalayan pink salt, my wife doesn't like it

Carbide Mike and jeraldgordon like this.
  12. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

We have used kosher salt for years after we started watching the great Alton Brown's show, "Good Eats".

RyX, RockyNomad, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  13. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I use non-iodized salt in my fish tank. Therefore, I use non-iodized salt on my food. I just never bothered to buy a separate container of salt to use on my table.

BTW - A small amount of salt in a fresh water aquarium will help with ich, Costia and anchorworms.

BamaT likes this.
  14. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Kosher salt for us.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I like kosher or sea salt. I like pepper too. I like my food to have lots of flavor.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

HBP and heart disease are usually the main reasons for salt aversion.
    In the USA, the major health organizations recommend that we cut back on sodium:

United States Department of Agriculture (USDA): 2300 mg
    American Heart Association (AHA): 1500 mg
    Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND): 1500 to 2300 mg
    American Diabetes Association (ADA): 1500 to 2300 mg.

So… there is definitely a consensus among these organizations that we should aim for less than 1500 mg of sodium per day, and definitely not more than 2300 mg.
    1500 mg of sodium equals about 3/4 teaspoons or 3.75 grams of salt per day, while 2300 mg equals about one teaspoon and 6 grams of salt per day.
    Most people today are eating much more than that. The average intake of sodium is about 3400 mg, most of it coming from processed foods.

17. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

We did the same a few years ago. Oddly enough, we didn't even buy it. A friend of ours made brisket at our house, and he uses kosher salt in his rub. We had some left over and realized how much better it was.

Carbide Mike and HolyRollah like this.
  18. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

The size and shape of the granules makes a big difference for what it gets used for. Kosher salt flakes adhere to the surface of meat well; various sizes and shapes of sea salt add a nice crunch and burst of flavor on top of a salad; tiny canning salt granules dissolve even in cool water (good for making a brine!) and adhere to popcorn better than larger granules. If the salt is going to get completely dissolved-- in a soup or dough, for example--the form factor doesn't matter.

But yes, we avoid iodized salt because if the harsh taste.

As for keeping the amount of salt intake in check, I prefer to do so by trying to limit intake of processed foods. If you mostly cook from scratch, you can use a fairly heavy hand with salt and still end up with way less in your diet than similar processed foods will give you.

Carbide Mike and Omaney like this.
  19. jeraldgordon

I asked the question, tongue in cheek... And I appreciate the thoughtful answers. Unfortunately, just like the "consensus" on the lipogenesis of heart disease, the aversion to salt is also largely a myth. There is a reason salt is craved by animals in the wild, and why we provide giant salt blocks to livestock... There is a tiny percentage of people with advanced disease states for whom limiting salt is beneficial. And I would NEVER suggest consuming unlimited amounts of commercial iodized salt. But salt doesn't cause hypertension, and limiting its intake below a certain quantity increases the incidence of other health issues - such as sudden cardiac death due to dysrythmia. The doctrine of limited salt intake belongs in the dustbin of medical myths, along with the nonsense regarding saturated fats, the FDA's food pyramid, the belief that serum cholesterol causes heart disease, as opposed to being a symptom of already existing disease, etc.

Now, I'm not trying to start an argument, and mean no ill will towards anyone! Just hope that anyone truly concerned will do their own research and draw their own conclusions. For everyone else, please just disregard my post!

BamaT, Carbide Mike and PLANofMAN like this.
  20. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I am Salt conscious, but mostly what is added to the food before it gets to me :( Many processed foods are just way to high in it..
    One thing I noted when I became more aware of the labels is that, when you cut back on the processed foods your taste buds begin to pick up again on the more subtle flavors, so you actually use less anyway :)

I Like Salt,,,, but I like to add it myself, and I enjoy Sea Salt, Kosher Salt, and a few of the more Exotics

PanChango likes this.