January 2015 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Emergency Shave! 1/24/14 - #30DayChallenge #17

I fully intended to not shave today, but a small incident resulted in a drastic need to gargle, remove my mustache, scrub my eyes, find a gun, shake my head...
    I trapped a skunk in a live trap this morning. I intended to humanely dispatch it with some carbon monoxide poisoning. As I set the trap onto a tarp and prepared to wrap it up prior to inserting a hose from a running car, I realized that I could see the skunk's butt hole. Right. At. Eye. Level.

Brain started to kick in milliseconds and a phrase of "Oh *****" started to leave my lips just as he nailed me in the mouth, nose and forehead. Trap dropped, outdoor stripping commenced and clean up started. I think I said a few choice words I don't even know. Coat and hat on the ground, shirt on the front porch (outside). Pants dropped right inside the door and straight into the shower. Scrubbed and started to shake my head. Got out of the shower and came out of the bathroom naked. Looked out the front door and saw my pants and all of the contents had been tossed and scattered away from the house by my wife.

Could not smell anything beyond the extremely pungent burn. Drank a V-8 to try and get the taste out of my mouth. Could not taste it at all. Sprayed some air freshener around as the wife lit candles in my memory or something like that. Sense of smell started to come back and realized that the essence of skunk was trapped in my mustache. I could not smell the shaving cream, but I lathered it all up and shaved anyway.

Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk
    Lather: cold sweat and Old Spice cream
    Brush: synthetic because I didn't want to wait around to soak something
    Razor: Weber PH
    Blade: Voskhod (6)
    Post: Triple application of Ogallala Bay Rum, Old Spice and John Varvatos.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to Walgreens and buying some of The Veg!

Enrico, Droo78, brit and 34 others like this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Troy, oh man that is bad. Really bad. I can only imagine.

Rufus T., Robyflexx, Slow Joe and 4 others like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Day 21 Lab Report - 30 DAY RULE with a Slim

Last night was day 21...I think I have finally found the comfort zone. Spending the last three weeks on this one kit has been insightful. I am actually not sure that the Slim will remain a part of my regular rotation. I like it, and it shaves well...but I find myself longing for the heavy feel of my Utopia. One of the points of this exercise was to gain real experience with a TTO, and I have done that. My assessment of the Slim at this point is that it's a good razor, but it just doesn't seem natural in my hand yet. A real positive of this exercise has been the soap. It has been really good to use TSD soap and see that day in and day out it is a soap that never disappoints.

Nine more days until I can use Arko again! Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

4. Bama Samurai

Epic bad morning...hope the veg helps!

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

@Bama Samurai I bought a Slim for a birth year razor and feel pretty much the same way. I like it just not enough to use it everyday. Ironically I have a SS birth year razor and it's one of my favorites. Perfect example of YMMV

6. Bama Samurai

Yes. And no. If nine is the most comfortable setting, it would be nice to be able to have some range above that...just don't know if I like the Slim enough to go through all that...

This is how the acquisition disorders start up!

Bay rum is a classic...there are hundreds!

YMMV indeed. It has been interesting using it though...I see why it has its fans!

I like the name! You are still playing the game well!

I laughed for two minutes when I read your prep for today...musk does not even begin to cover what went on this morning.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    brit, Douglas Carey, TrentRTR and 5 others like this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You will never see this cartoon character the same way again!

[​IMG]

brit, Douglas Carey, Rufus T. and 7 others like this.
  8. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

:eek:

Don't bother going for the Veg.

The Veg_70pct.jpg = Toxic Gas placard.png

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

As an old farm boy I feel your pain, and smell your stink!! Not the way to start the morning. One small question though, did the skunk get away or did you have the pleasure of finishing him off?

:signs011:
    I hereby nominate this post as the best post in this entire thread.....even though the thread isn't done. Maybe the best post on the entire board. :happy096::happy108:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
  10. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

My Chai Tea just came in also, smells great, I'm seriously considering using it or the Orange Menthol tomorrow. My wife already had some lilac which I liked the performance of, but I disliked the smell.

11. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

SOTD 24 - 30 Day Rule:

Prep: Shower, Proraso PreShave
    Soap: Arko
    Blade: 7'oclock SharpEdge (yellow)
    Razor: Ball End Tech
    Brush: 24mm WD Black Badger

Everything is going really well still. My Maggard order came in today, and I'm seriously considering using the Orange Menthol tomorrow. It smells really good. Anyway WTG/ATG, good stuff.

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It's very nice. It's a lot of cinnamon, are you allergic to cinnamon? You might want to do a test. Surprisingly I'm not, but sandlawood knocks me out.

TrentRTR likes this.
  13. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

How are the Rapira PLs treating you ? They have been my daily blade for months.

14. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

01/24 – Day 24 of the 30 Day Rule - Shave #20 with the Weishi

Objective: Survive a month using low end entry level products.
    • Growth: 2 days
    • Prep: Shower; Corn Huskers Lotion
    • Lather: Arko – Face lathered
    • Brush: Escali Badger
    • Razor: Weishi 9306/Microtouch One
    • Blade: Derby Extra (1)
    Today’s Results: It was nice to have two days growth for a change. The new blade didn’t bite nearly as hard as they usually do. With the added growth, and a nice slow day, I did a full three pass shave with touchup. No weepers, irritation, or nicks. A DFS all around and here’s to everyone having a great weekend.

15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I like them, of the Rapira's I'd say the Swedish SuperSteel are my favorite followed by the PL. Well worth the price.

TrentRTR, VedderLG and Bama Samurai like this.
  16. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

That would have been great insult to injury! No, a 22 Long dispatched him quickly. Should have not tried to be so humane I guess.

Enrico, Douglas Carey, 45auto and 4 others like this.
  17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

As an old varmint hunter I say approach with the rifle every time. Badgers and skunks either one. Glad to hear you got the final word in on that one. Hope the odor has dissipated enough to breathe again. I saw a German Shepherd pull the tail on a skunk once while laying irrigation pipe. The skunk was in the pipe, tail popped out the gate, dog saw tail, grabbed tail, yanked tail and took a direct hit in the mouth. Because it wasn't my dog I thought it was hilarious. My boss who owned the dog was not so amused.

18. Bama Samurai

19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Troy, It stinks that you got sprayed, but that story is odor-able! I just know this post has all the makings for a Custom Title.

20. Bama Samurai

I submitted it to Custom Title Thread. Work on it... ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.