The Veg appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Darkbulb, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I am going to have to order some Veg just to see what all the fuss is about. It is the one Pinaud item I can't find locally. I have had an Amazon shopping cart full of retro manliness waiting to be submitted. I guess I will go add some Veg and get the order rolling.

2. Greg F.

Greg F. Well-Known Member

The Veg holds a special place in my heart. Although I don't own my own bottle yet, it's going to be my next aftershave purchase. The first time I went to him my barber used it after the straight razor neck shave and I immediately asked him what it was called. After looking it up it eventually led me to this thing called safety razor wet shaving. Maybe you guys have heard of it?

I love the scent and anything Pinaud puts out. Hell, I'm even thinking of getting the man with the cane and top hat as my next tattoo...

3. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested some Bed Bath and Beyonds - the ones that have a Health & Beauty department carry the Veg. I've seen it but haven't picked it up so my 'chosen' status is still unknown.

Darkbulb likes this.
  4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well it has arrived and I took a whiff in the bottle. Surprisingly nice, in my opinion. Definitely picked up some lilac and didn't find it offensive. Won't get to try it on me until tomorrow as I already shaved and am doing Proraso today but we'll see then if it translates from the bottle to my face. SWMBO isn't home at the moment so hasn't had a chance to smell it yet. she thinks the Proraso is the best thing ever so it may be a tough sell for her, or she may have a better nose than me, who knows.
    The Veg.jpg

dbersh, Darkbulb and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Pro-tip: the first time you let her smell it - have her smell it on your skin :)

NCoxSTL and dbersh like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Boy the things we do for the other half eh? She took a whiff in the bottle and pronounced it "interesting", but a little feminine. Asked me to try it out but I reminded her, "hey I've already done my thing today". Not good enough. Off to a quick shower, get all the Proraso off and the Veg on. I'm actually sold. It has a quality that I'm still trying to define but I like the effect. She still prefers Proraso but doesn't find the Veg bad at all, just different. I think I've been chosen.

Bird Lives, Darkbulb and dbersh like this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

This is true.
    You don't choose The Veg.
    The Veg chooses you.

Bird Lives, jeraldgordon and dbersh like this.
  8. Mr. Droid

Well, I ordered some Veg. And some Clubman Quinine hair tonic... apparently so my hair won't get malaria, but I think that is a story for a different day. Anyhow, hopefully with my free Amazon Prime shipping, I should have the Veg in hand by the beginning of the week. Cannot wait!

Paul Turner, Bird Lives and Darkbulb like this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Vegisim #16: "You can't hurry The Veg"

Bird Lives, Mr. Shaverman and dbersh like this.
  10. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

Arko followed by the veg is a regular shave for me. Something about that initial numbing and burning followed by that smoothness. ...Love it! !

11. Mr. Droid

Well, I checked my email, and my Veg delivery is confirmed for Tuesday. So since I can't hurry it, do I have to let it sit out and acclimate to my environment before I use it? Like a fine wine, or a goldfish? I just want to get the whole thing right.

dscaver and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The Veg will show you the way.

dscaver and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Actually tried something totally different for me today as far as The Veg goes.
    I'm trying to move away from alcohol based aftershaves...but don't want to give up on TheVeg so I did what I had read about somewhere and splashed a bit of it on my upper body and arms.

Love it!

The scent changed even more when it's not directly in your face. It got 'muted' a bit with your clothes on but was still very much present.
    I really, really like the way that worked and smells and can see myself doing this quite a bit. Hmmm....might need that gallon bottle....

Bird Lives, Mr. Shaverman and NCoxSTL like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well it was always marketed as a full body splash so you're using it right apparently. I also noticed on the label it says "For Professional Use Only". Is there a license required?:signs002:

Bird Lives likes this.
  15. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Yep, this is what you should be doing! The Veg was made so Hungarian cavalry could splash it on their bodies and smell decent when they visited brothels, instead of smelling like their horses. It's for all over. Any of the big bottle aftershaves like the Veg and Osage Rub are meant to be used in large amounts in various places.

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. Mr. Droid

Well, my Veg arrived today. I really don't see what the issue is about. From all the hatred and panic, I thought it was going to be some crazy fragrance... something heavy and divisive, a powerhouse scent, like Giorgio Beverly Hills. Instead, it is a fairly inoffensive floral. Maybe it will be different on skin? I don't know. I will try it out tomorrow and see.

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It does take on a different scent when worn but I think it's awesome. My wife has declared it her new favorite. Can't be all bad.

Bird Lives and Darkbulb like this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

We welcome you all.

[​IMG]

Bird Lives, NCoxSTL and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  19. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

How could you have opened it and not put it on your skin immediately?!

Yeah, honestly I have no idea why it's so divisive either. There's got to be something that some people smell and others do not, whether it's in the Veg or in whatever nastiness they're comparing it too.

Bird Lives, NCoxSTL and Darkbulb like this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm using mine as a 'body splash' almost every day now and loving it.

Bird Lives, NCoxSTL and Mr. Shaverman like this.