Franks Shave brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by cubancigar2000, Jan 28, 2015.

1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am ordering a couple of the silvertips in 22m and 26 mm. Does anyone have any input as to whether they are floppy and soft ot set deeper for firmness?

2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I have an older 22mm one. The loft on mine is about 52mm and works like a champ. Soft with enough backbone to tackle whatever I feed it. Good brush.

3. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I had a 26mm. Soft as could be. Lacked backbone. I wish I did not sell it but that ship sailed.

4. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I love mine, I won't go any place else for a badger. I would call mine perfect.

Some have said their customer service isn't good, but I can't see it, Selling half way around the world requires the best. Or buy from Maggard Razor, who sells them and has great customer service.

jwr0201 likes this.
  5. cubancigar2000

Ok, I ordered the 26mm and 22mm both silvertips. One is for the wife. She is a SR leg shaver

6. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

My Franks is one of my favorites. Will definitely order more!

7. cubancigar2000

Thx, good to know. I have a Thater now and it will be hard to out do

8. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I have thrown in the thrash-can many Mixed-Pure-Finest badgers from Frank Shaving
    No good backbone and "bird nest" effect.

Darkbulb and GDCarrington like this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Many times FS brushes are lofted longer than many of todays users like. Usually around 3-5 mm longer which causes many face latherers to not like the brushes. They have been long noted for having QC issues and you can see it on e-Bay as they try to sell "defective" brushes sometimes at high prices for items noted as "defective." If you get a good brush then enjoy it, but from indications from members from a lot of forums, along with my past dealings, it is a 50/50 shot on success. I have had 2 good and 2 bad experiences and one of the good ones was a 'defective' that had no defect under close examination.

Misphit likes this.
  10. cubancigar2000

I am not normally a guy who looks for the savings but rather the quality. I have read a lot of good about FS and seeing that Maggards sells them made me trust that I might be getting a good deal and a quality brush. If not, so be it

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Did you buy from Maggards? They can look at the brushes upon receipt from FS and weed out many of the ones with QC issues.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have one Franks finest fan shape, and it is one of my favorite brushes.

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding choice Marine. I have a few Silvertips 22mm and they are good.

14. cubancigar2000

Thx Doug, They will be here on Tuesday.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I have a Butterscotch Frank Shaving Pur-Tech Brush 28 X 54mm which is outstanding. I also have FS 26mm Knot on its way to Doug Korn's Workshop. :D

16. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

I bought a 26mm fan shaped silvertip about 2 years ago and it has been a shedder since it was new. Conveniently the ebay seller I dealt with stopped responding to my messages about the problem so I still have it. If it didn't shed it would be a good brush.

17. grump

grump Well-Known Member

I purchased 3 FS brushes, 1 with a crooked knot(I gave it away), the other 2 have been fine(I sold 1 & kept 1).
    All were Finest badger.

18. cubancigar2000

Well my two FS brush's came and I used the 26mm twice now. I have to say that these two are well worth the $$ and I am in love with the 26mm enough that I am ordering the 30mm. My wife is in love with her 22mm also. When I compare my other brush's to these Chinese ones I cannot see the $$ difference. I will probably never buy anything else again. They are set a little higher but I found that I actually like that and I am a face latherer for the most part. I will say that none of my Thaters have ever shed period. The 26 mm lost two hairs in two days no biggy. If you have not tried one, you are missing a real bargain. I have only $65 shipped in both. Thx to those of you who shared positive results on the FS brush

19. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

I have 3 Frank's (FS) Finest badger brushes and one knot for which I made my own handle.
    They are perfect.
    Gentle tips and unfloppable.

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Sounds good. Did you post pictures of the FS brushes you received?