Rubberset 400 Unmarked - Seeking Advise or Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by clint64, Feb 3, 2015.

1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am in the process of restoring a Rubberset 400 Unmarked. It was pretty bad as you can see by this picture.

[​IMG]

After sanding and polishing. I am left to decide what knot to use. I already have another 400 with a nice badger knot. I have an Omega Boar that I love to use but hate the handle. So with that in mind, I decided to see what it would look like with the Omega knot removed and installed into the Rubberset 400. So here is what we have.

[​IMG]

The knot is set yet but I wanted to see what it would look like. I would like some of your thoughts.

Tdmsu, wristwatchb, Slow Joe and 8 others like this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think it looks great.
    A purely personal preference would be to have it set just a tad deeper - but once again, that's highly subjective :)

clint64 likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This does get the brush very close to the original long lofted boar. If you like it, go for it! It looks great!

Tdmsu, clint64 and Darkbulb like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Darkbulb thanks for posting up. I agree. It's set a tad deeper than it was in the Omega 49 handle. I'm about at the limit that I can increase the opening.

Gary, thank you. I was hoping you would post up. I think i will set it here. It's not like it's a huge loss if I decide to take this knot out and go a different route.

Darkbulb and GDCarrington like this.
  5. Rustty

Rustty Active Member

Love your work Clint.
    Very nice.

clint64 likes this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you. I'll post up pics after a set the knot. Look for it in the SOTD posts in the future.

But you're the master. You made yours.

Darkbulb likes this.
  7. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Nice work! That looks like new! :happy088:

8. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Three words; out fricking standing!

clint64 likes this.
  9. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

They are definitely one of the best looking shaving accessories ever. Well done on the restore, I love to see a link to the past being kept alive.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Great looking restore @clint64!! :happy088:

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    znice_brush.png I think it looks great. I'm pretty sure it performs great as well.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Wowzers! :eek::happy096:
    …and Oh So Shiny! nicely done!
    [​IMG]

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Raymond, Tom, Gordy, Eddie, Jim and Kevin; Thanks you for the kind words. I am happy with the way it turned out. I hope to have time to set the knot tonight. Really want to use for one of this weekends shaves.

14. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I've been having my 400-3 sitting around on a shelf for months now begging to be shined up a bit and re-knotted...I think this thread was what I needed to put that in action. Thanks :)

clint64 likes this.
  16. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I would love to get one of these brushes. I think they are one of the finest looking shaving products i have ever seen and you have done a fantastic job restoring it to its former glory. The knot looks great, but more importantly, it is one you are going to enjoy using.

Tdmsu and clint64 like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You really should. You can break it up into a couple of major steps. The hardest part is the sanding if you want a mirror finish. I had six hours of sanding time to get from the start to ready to polish. Even then there were two pin hole dimples in one flute that were impossible to sand out since they were so deep. But I think the rewards are worth the effort.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you.

Slow Joe likes this.
  19. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

That looks great! As stated, it looks like the original boar to me as well.