Merkur 39c Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maliboy67, Feb 6, 2015.

1. maliboy67

maliboy67 Well-Known Member

Just a short review and first impressions of this incredible razor. I used a Feather blade today as I have read many posts about success with this combination. I will try next week with my favorite Astra SP blade. I used my boar brush and Proraso green soap. First thing I noticed was the fact that this razor is smooth, cuts whiskers with noooo effort. This fact makes it a little deceiving, you have to go slow and carful. It will let you know if your technique is the least bit relaxed. The angle you hold it at is very important! I haven't tried a 37 but with the heavy handle, do not place any, any pressure on this razor, I felt a few times a grab when I didn't pay close attention. With the lighter handle it may be more forgiving. The only other razor I have used that I would call aggressive would be my Slim adjustable. With the adjustable turned up to 9 I got a very good 2 pass shave. The adjustable gave me feed back when set to a more aggressive setting. The feed back gives a constant reminder of the potential for blood letting, the 39c does not and this is the reason to be so carful. I did get the most amazing 2 pass shave, Jodi even commented that she couldn't believe I could get a closer shave. There are a few places that I normally don't get as well because of irritation if I go at them too much. The 39c cleaned them up. The first pass was WTG and second was XTG above the jaw line and ATG below. So I would say anyone wanting to try a slant bar to go for it, just be carful and respect the hammer!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  2. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

I may be putting this one on my list of must have! Good review.

Douglas Carey and Luziana_Geezer like this.
  3. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Nice review! I should get a slant. Haven't decided between 39c and SC 102 though.

Luziana_Geezer and spacehobo like this.
  4. tito catson

tito catson Active Member

I just got the 102, and it's my favorite. It's smooth and efficient

trey06dmd likes this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Nice info. Thanks!

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice review. I bought the 37c instead of the 39c just to save some bucks. I understand the heads are the same. I like the shaves I get with mine. I have had it about 15 months, but I have only used it 30-40 times. I shave mostly with vintage razors, but I pull this one out from time to time. I shaved with it last in December for 5 shaves.

7. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Nice review!
    I love my 39c - I get superb shaves with it almost always. It's becoming hard for me to shave with anything else.

maltedmilk likes this.
  8. maliboy67

Yes same head but very different in weight. I too really like my vintage razors but the few shaves I have had make it hard to not use it.

9. maliboy67

Today I found out I need to be more carful on some areas of my face. Under my jaw especially. I think I will use my adjustable for at least a week to let my skin heal. Possibly miss a few days of shaving too. Other than learning where to be carful the shaves are good.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  10. maliboy67

I will also add because it is a challenge and I know I can get a super shave with the 39c I don't want to put it down.

11. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Nice review. I have definitely become a slant guy over the last several months.

Tdmsu likes this.
  12. maliboy67

I decided to have a go again with an Astra SP and had a great two pass shave with no irritation. I'll chalk it up to maybe the Feathers just aren't my blade! Apparently my face heals faster than I thought it would. Or my post shave care worked well.

Herm2502, Tdmsu and trey06dmd like this.
  13. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of feather blades, either. Astra SP, Voskhod, and Personna lab blue work great in my 39c.
    Good on ya for sticking with it!

Douglas Carey likes this.
  14. maliboy67

After using this razor for a few days I have one point I feel is important to share. As I said at the beginning of the review this razor, due to the head design there is a broad range of angles that this razor will cut. I have found the more parallel to the floor the razor is held within this range the less chance of irritation, where as if you hold the razor closer to parallel to your face you will begin to scrape skin and produce burn. So if anyone has tried the 39c or 37c and always gets irritation perhaps you need to try an angle adjustment. I have found that most of my other razors don't do this as they have a small angle variation and don't cut unless held correctly. Hope this helps, it took a few rough shaves to really figure this out.

clint64, Tdmsu and Herm2502 like this.
  15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The 39C is an excellent razor and it comes into my rotation from time to time and does an excellent job when it does.

Enjoy!

Tdmsu likes this.
  16. Herm2502

Man, oh, man are you making this hard on me. My RAD says to go get the slant and my brain telling me to wait. This comprehensive review is not helping things! :happy102:

Thanks!

maltedmilk, Tdmsu and GDCarrington like this.
  17. maliboy67

Just another note, now that I have been paying better attention to the angle of the razor I have found I get a closer shave with less passes using a Feather blade, but have to be extra careful in some areas or I get irritation. With the Astra SP I get a decent shave but have to do more passes and touch ups.

Tdmsu and maltedmilk like this.
  18. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

Got my 39c last Thursday.
    Amazing razor - works extremely well with a SuperMax Blue Diamond.

Tdmsu likes this.
  19. Herm2502

Is the 3&7c still the 'Sledgehammer' or just a regular hammer?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    HA! I guess it is just a regular hammer. As it turns out, I am scheduled to start a week with my 37c tomorrow.
    sod150215.JPG