How do blades affect your shave?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Doubletrouble, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Doubletrouble

Doubletrouble Member

I was just wondering how much of a difference there could be from one brand/type of DE blade to another. So far all I have been able to find were blades at a Meijer store with their store name on them. I'm sure there are better blades out there but where can I find them? And how big of a difference is there from your experience?

2. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Blades greatly affect one's shave. However due to the fact that everyone is different one's blade choice is a very personal thing. I would recommend getting a sampler from an online vendor (such as one on this list) and find out what your face likes.

Tallships and Chuck F like this.
  3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

For me it depends on the razor. In my Fatboy, there are only a couple of blades that I don't like, and there is very little difference for me in all of the others. In my NEW, 37c, and R41, they make a much bigger difference. In those razors there are only 4 or 5 blades that work very well for me.

4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Same for me my vintage razors dont mind any (except Feather), while my merkur and Ikon are fussy.

5. Doubletrouble

Doubletrouble Member

I'll be checking out some of those links for a sampler of blades. I don't know who makes the blades for meijer but I think I could find better.

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You might want to look in my signature line for detailed discussions and testing data on blades.

7. Doubletrouble

Doubletrouble Member

GD, I did read the 30 day rule and will keep that in mind when experimenting. I'll read the section on blades as well.

8. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

If I remember right, they are made in Israel by Personna. Check the package if you have it, it should have a country of manufacture.

As others have said, blade preferences vary greatly and aren't very predictable. I'm sure the Meijer blades work great for some guys, but might or might not be great for you. Best bet is to try several brands and see what you like.

9. Doubletrouble

Doubletrouble Member

GD, a lot of reading there. I got through most of it but will have to revisit the write up again.

10. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

I suggest a sampler as well. Get one that gives you more than one blade of each brand. You may find that your impression of a blade changes as you get better at shaving. Some are very unforgiving of mistakes

11. mfrancis79

mfrancis79 Well-Known Member

After I did my research with about 20 different blades I realized some just worked better on my face, it didn't matter the price or how fancy the name was it all came down to what worked for me.

12. TCBENNETT55

TCBENNETT55 Active Member

As has been noted, blades are an individual ' s preference. Sample packs are available from many vendors. suggest going to www.maggardrazors.com. this site has a create your own package. 5, 7, 10, and 15 blade packages. Just something to think about.

13. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Tryablade.com is also a good place to build your own sample pack. Have used them twice, both times, shipped quickly and good communications.

Omaney and Chuck F like this.
  14. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

If you are looking at samplers, the sites below all have good offerings.

Having done my own research both with blade trials as well as searching through posts, I always recommend that these 7 blades be a part of your sampler. Included are the 7 most commonly used blades. I know everyone else will recommend others, and there are certainly a lot more to try, many of which "might" work better for you than the 7 I recommended. But these 7 are the most common blades for a reason...

Astra Superior Platinum
    Personna Lab (Personna Blue)
    Personna Platinum (Personna Red)
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black)
    Feather
    Polsilver Super Iridium

www.maggardrazors.com
    www.westcoastshaving.com
    www.tryablade.com

15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Grab a blade and learn your razor. IMHO, the differences mean more when solid technique is in place. You are off to a great start! :happy088:

16. maliboy67

maliboy67 Well-Known Member

So far I haven't shaved with a blade I couldn't use. In saying that Feather can cause irritation and Derby, Dorco and Astra SS give my some tugging and pulling. There can be a big comfort difference for sure.

17. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

What about SuperMax Titaniums? I heard good things about them and they are pretty cheap!

18. Doubletrouble

Doubletrouble Member

I saw the that TSD store has a sample package also.

clint64 and johnus like this.
  19. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

+1 on this. Great way to try different blades without breaking the bank.

20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Blades are very much a YMMV kind of thing as such, unless you get lucky right off the bat, a large blade sampler pack is an absolute must have!! Blades can make all the difference between an acceptable shave, a bad shave and a GREAT shave..:happy088:
    Check the back of the blade pack from Meijer, if it says made in Korea they are Dorco's, if it says Wilkinson they are Wlkinsons and made in Germany I believe,if it says distributed by ASR they are Israeli made Personna's from what I understand. Blades are pretty international, the only blade still made in America as far as I know are lab and med preps, both are wonderful if a bit pricey blades IMO:)