five shaves in ...

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by gmaugie007, Feb 9, 2015.

1. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

if you're not learning, you're dying ... or something like that, right? well, at 51+, i'm five shaves into learning how to wet shave with a DE safety razor.

before i got started, i tried to do at least a little research and get some decent middle-of-the-road (not too mild, not too agressive, fairly easy lather, etc.) starter gear without breaking the bank. this forum and youtube have been a BIG help. thanks to all who hang-out here from time-to-time and help us newbies along!

history
    i was an electric guy during school years and probably a few years after college. since then, i've grown up during the evolution (2 to 3 to 4 to 5) of the multi-blade cartridge. most recently, i've been using the vibrating 5-blade fusion. for lots of years, i used foam from the can. the last handful of years, though, i've used a cake of williams in a mug with a burma red and creme brush (boar/synthetic?).

equipment
    my DE starter gear consists of: EJDE89lbl, EJ best badger medium, proraso green soap, @TSD blade sampler, an old latte mug, ... and an old styptic pencil that i have used in quite a while. the DE89 has a nice weight and confidence to it. the proraso is really easy to lather into 'peaks'. the best badger does feel a bit 'floppy' to me. i'm not sure if i'm pressing too much or if it is that i'm used to a much more firm burma brush. regardless, i feel like i'm able to build a real good protective lather. the styptic ... well, it stings just like i remember ... ;-)

gettin started
    in addition to the basics of the 30 day rule, i am also shaving every other day (to give the face a break and time to heal if needbe) and only using the blades for two shaves (to get to my 30-day blade as quickly as possible). i started with the astra sp, personna blue, and today was the wilkinson. i suppose i could have stopped with either the astra or the personna and went with it for 30 days. i just feel like i need to give a few of more of them a try to have some comparison. i think i'll at least try the gillette, voskhod, and 7am.

btw, i'm not sure if it was a monday (this morning) or poor technique (very possible) or the blade, but the wilkinson is history after one shot. i may or may not come back and try some different wilkinson blades down the road.

trouble spots
    moles, moles, and more ... i have one close to each ear, one lower-cheek/side-chin, and one high cheekbone. i've tapped 'em all already! break out the tissue and styptic! in some ways, it feels like i just figured out how to maneuver around them successfully with the fusion. i guess it hasn't been as bad as i imagined though. most nicks have been done weeping by the time i'm done with the second pass. only a couple times have i had to break-out the styptic.

with those beginner details, this ends my first real post. as always, any suggestions, recommendations, etc. are always welcome! (especially about blade choice ... during these early days)

aug from indy

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you're off to a great start. The EJ89 is a great razor. I'm using mine this month for blade trials and it will serve you well. I'm also a vintage fanatic but the EJ is great as an all around go to razor. As for the brush I personally love boars, especially the Omega boars. Semogue is another great choice for a boar brush. You might like the feel better than the badger. As to the Wilkinson, well, not every blade works for everyone and it can even change by razor. I personally like the Russian blades, especially Voskhod. There is a sample pack of Russians as part of the newbie giveaway so make sure you sign up for your shot at them!

I do highly recommend the 30 day rule, which you will soon be introduced to by our own @GDCarrington when he greets you. It allows you to focus on technique so you can really get the most out of your shave.

Again, welcome. Best board on the web and we're happy to have you here!

3. Doubletrouble

Doubletrouble Member

Welcome! New wet shaver myself. Still trying to figure out my magic combo as well. Good luck on the shaving!

4. Rustty

Rustty Active Member

Hi and welcome to TSD.

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Welcome aboard! My first suggestion is to keep some notes, as you work your way through your sampler pack of blades. Notes should include closeness, presence or absence or irritation & blade durability. My second is to try adding a pre-shave oil to your prep. Not every one finds them helpful, but some do (hubby & I love them) and the can be especially helpful to beginners. Click here to learn how to make one, cheaply.

6. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den...Your face sounds so much like mine...molds, molds, molds. I could not use a razor. My dad got me an electric also. 15 years ago I had them removed. Have been a happy camper ever since. I then went to 2-3 on the Gillettes. Only recently have I been DE'ing it. Not turning back either! Again Welcome.

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD. You've already have a very nice setup.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A warm welcome to you from North Texas. You might want to take a look at some of the references contained in my signature line below for discussions of the 30 Day systems and more on hardware.

With that being said ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome Aug! It looks like you have this figured out already. When it comes down to it, it is just shaving, but many of us prefer the simplicity and better shave we get from a DE.

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! Please sign up for the Newbie Give-Away HERE

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am glad that you found us and joined The Den. I am sure you will fit right in.
    Be sure to Mark YOUR location on the TSD map:) - instructions here.
    zwelcome2.jpg

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

13. Star

Star Active Member

Welcome!

You're starting out with some good stuff. My advice is to be patient. If something is going wrong it's your fault, not the equipment's fault. You can shave with a piece of glass if you technique is good enough. Good equipment can make the process easier, but it can't compensate for poor technique. Be consistent and use as little pressure as possible and you'll be a convert for life.

That being said the DE89 and AstraSP is a great combination and my daily-drive. YMMV but I think it's hard to go wrong with those two.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!
    It only gets better!!

15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Welcome. Not a bad start. Sounds like you have a bit of maneuvering to do or you end up playing "Whack-A-Mole" the hard way. Give it time, your technique will improve as will your shaves. Happy shaving!

16. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den!

17. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD!

18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den! You are off to a fine start!

19. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

20. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!