The Late 40's Notched TTO

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by seamus402, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Well, it's time for my shave so I'll throw a Feather in the old SS and give it a spin. Hmm, Day 1 with a Feather though...:confused:

We'll see. :D

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

:love055its .........magical

:transport035

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

It's BLOODY!!!!!! Everywhere...upper lip, chin, neck.

Good news is, I'm working at home today so I don't have to worry about when the bleeding will stop.

4. rick

wow.......

bummer, man.
    I.....dont......know what to say :o

It really is my absolute favorite set up and my mug is very finicky.
    Any chance the SS is outta whack ??

5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Not as far as I can tell. Knowing I was using a Feather, I even tried to go easy. Only one of the nicks was an "ouch". With all the others (and there were many others), blood just sort of painlessly appeared. Smooth shave though. :D

Going back to the Merkur/Derby, I think.

6. seamus402

seamus402 You don't mess with Big Slim

That is strange, I don't have to pay attention at all when I am using this setup. I just hack away - no nick, no cuts, no blood, no hair, smmmmooooootttttthhhhhh. I don't know what to say either, maybe you should send it to me so I can compare, maybe it is out of whack?

7. rick

Thats right @!

My MK Brutha !!

:D

This is desert island stuff we are talikn about.
    SS+Feather = outta this world, bay-bee :cool:

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

My 40's SS and a Feather are a nice combo as well...never any problems and always a smooth shave ;)

9. seamus402

I have good specimens of each - I believe imho that the late 40's is just hands down a better shave. I have late 40's, early 50's and several middle 50's TTO's.
    Flare tips, red tips, silver tips, blue tips and black tips. The 40's is the best!

10. seamus402

Rick Bro - I agree - desert island material here, along with Sgt Peppers Lonely
    Heart Club Band!

11. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Status report

Used a '49 SS with Feather for two days (see above) and the Fat Boy for one (first pass with the same Feather, then changed to a fresh Derby; setting 3). Tons of weepers, several cuts and three days with a very irritated face (even with TSD soaps!).

Since I went back to the Merkur head/Derby/TSD, no nicks, no cuts, no errors. Perfect BBS shaves. See you guys on the island. :cool:

12. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

In conclusion: The Feathers are not for everyone.

Raf

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Time for straight razors, Michael. :happy088

14. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

We'll be reading the online reports of the doctors trying to save him in the ER. :rolleyes:

15. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Undoubtedly.