What did we learn from our last shaves?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Very profound!

45auto likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nothing like repetition to breed both familiarity and recognition with a particular shaving item. :happy088:

3. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

Needed more product and more patience building the lather, and don't try a new soap when your in a hurry. A quick dab of cream sent the uber rescue.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Worrying is basically betting against yourself.

Seabs, Bama Samurai and jakie55 like this.
  5. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

Learned that I enjoy this ritual more each and every time. I enjoy the satisfying result of a fine shave. I appreciate the quality, solid materials and precision that makes up my razors (especially the vintage ones). I find that every time I use a Rapira Platinum Lux blade, the shave gets better! Life is good! :D

6. Mister C

Mister C Member

King's Super-Speed wonder works just fine even if I'm still asleep. Oh, yeah...and Screamo Cream works ok but stinks.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Gentlemen, From my last shave...

I learned that Alabama water lathers soap easier than my usual Colorado water supply.

wristwatchb and clint64 like this.
  8. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

i learned not to stray away from your other razors to long, i myself forgot how they shave and in result didn't have the best shave in recent memory. My Merkur Futur spoiled me to much!

Bama Samurai and WhiskerWhacker like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This year I am using one razor a week. I started with injectors in January and am doing DE in February. Today, I picked up the Schick Krona for this week. What a wonderful shave it provided. Just finished a week with the 37c which was good, but the Krona was wonderful. Nice long handle with a great feel. March will be Gem month.

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

On most of my shaves I'll usually shave against the grain on my neck, usually doing two passes just to get a really close shave. When using my RRSS I can get away with it without any irration. Well today I went with a standard 3 pass shave. And boy was I pleasantly surprised! DFS with zero irration, smooth and much faster.

Seabs, Bama Samurai and Daytonkb like this.
  11. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

I learned not to skimp on the lather for the second pass... Add more soap/cream to the brush if needed! As much as I'd like to shave tomorrow morning, I may wait another day and let my neck recoup.

12. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

That Voskhod blades are a 2 and out in the slim adjustable for me.

Seabs, NCoxSTL and Bama Samurai like this.
  13. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

That I should probably go one-and-done with every blade, all the time. Combining the fact that I am a head and face shaver with really coarse hair who favors a steep angle, I tend to go through blades rather quickly. I also have a secondary reason, as I struggle with folliculitis. My first 3 or 4 months of DE shaving, I tried to power through 2-3 shaves with each blade, as I assumed the problem was always technique. Now I'm 8 months in, and I've noticed over the past month or so that my shaves are always noticeably better on the first use of a blade, regardless of blade type and razor (all in the same Fatboy that I have been using all month). Coincidence?

Seabs and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I am learning that my adj. aristocrat gives a better cleanup than my Merk progress after a SR shave.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That's an interesting observation as I've never used one in an adjustable. I usually go 3 and out in any of my razors with them but can go 4 if necessary. The added blade exposure on the adjustable probably wears them quicker.

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Super Max SP seems to be demonstrating that my problem with platinum blades isn't the platinum...it's the manufacturer. Super Max and Rapira platinums are great blades for me, the Gillette versions definitely not.

Bristle Me and 45auto like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I learned that I really do love the TABAC Shaving Soap.

18. argus

argus enjoys hairy lady legs

Learned that not even the famed Polsilver SI cannot endure 3 shaves on my beard!

19. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I learned with the exception of a gillette senator my open comb razors seem (new and old type) to be as mild as my safety bar razors.

gwsmallwood likes this.
  20. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

[​IMG] When searching for a new blade, make sure that they are all wrapped. Maybe I ought to organize them into little plastic bags.

wristwatchb, Bristle Me and IDuck like this.