What did we learn from our last shaves?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Are ingrown hairs related to folliculitis?

2. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

gillette USED to be a hell of a company.

Seabs likes this.
  3. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

I actually learned this a day or so ago. The Ladas works better in my Merkur 34c HD than in my Gillette Tech 46'-49.' The Astra SP works well in both razors with the Ladas edging it out a bit in the Merkur

45auto and Seabs like this.
  4. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

Cold water shave isn't as bad as I thought it might be. Might be my 30 day challenge for March...

CyanideMetal and 45auto like this.
  5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

That I really missed using Clubman Original AS. Smells nice and feels nice. I've been using a topical antibiotic for a while, so I haven't been able to use the Clubman. I also learned that it pairs VERY well with Stirling Barbershop Soap. Today was the first scent compliment I've gotten from the wife in quite a while.

If you love Clubman and have never tried Stirling Barbershop, or you love Stirling Barbershop and have never tried Clubman, you definitely should. Awesome combo.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Courtesy of Garry's Sample shop I today used Lucky Tiger for the first time - and realized that it really IS as great as others have claimed :)
    I am really enjoying non-alcohol/non-mentholated products and this A/S splash has a great, very subtle scent and left my face feeling great.

To me it's very close to the properties of Provence Sante but at half the cost. I will be buying a full bottle.

[​IMG]

7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

That's the spirit. By July, you'll crave a Cold Wet Shave.

8. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

That a minor lapse in focus can cause you to be bitten. Blood flow can be stopped with styptic, although your penance for having to use it is more pain than the nick.....:angry032:

Jostalli likes this.
  9. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I learned a one-pass-shave DFS is possible if you do your pass just right!

Leo K., mikewood and gwsmallwood like this.
  10. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

You need a Plano utility box with dividers and labels on the lid.

11. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Almost 100% of the time the first shave with a new blade is not as good as the second. Then it almost always starts to
    Go down hill

Bristle Me likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Somehow I believe this ad concept would today be a difficult sell to both aftershave companies as well as to the general public. ;)

Leo K. likes this.
  13. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

I learned that the iKon Slant 102 doesnt do anything for me! It seemed to cut less and slower so it took me longer to shave and I had more touchup spots to fix. On a good note, I didnt get any nick's or irritation out of it!

14. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

My Schick E2 Injector is a one-pass machine, this is such a wonderful discovery!

Jostalli likes this.
  15. gwsmallwood

For reference, what are your current favorites?

16. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

Well, I just dont seem to get along with razors that feel too mild as I need alittle more than that so that said, I like the iKon Standard and the Weber PH. I tried an DE89 a few times and it too felt too mild for me. Maybe my beard is just a little too rough for these types of razors that are considered "mild". IDK!

I dont like the idea of a three or four pass shave and have to do some touch ups on areas. The Weber gave me a great shave in two passes with just minimal touch up (a spot or two). The iKon seems like it was a very good three pass with minimal touch up. The iKon Slant was three pass, could have been four cause there was alot of touch up to do. That is what I dont like! :)

Make sense? I am still figuring out stuff but I do know I dont like too mild of razors and that is why I am asking about the older Gillette's and where they fall in an aggressive scale compared to each other and/or current models like the DE89 or Muhle M89.

17. gwsmallwood

Exactly the information I was looking for, thanks. I've considered one, but have been afraid I'd have the same experience. I also like aggressive. I've never tried your two favs, but my top 3 are my Fatboy @9, R41, and Shovel Head. Sounds like I might not like the 102.

18. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I learned that when shaving with a DE and it pulls; it is time for a new blade before a pull turns into a cut.

19. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I learned that a new blade doesn't always mean a weeper on 3 passes, provided that I don't go ATG.

Leo K. and CyanideMetal like this.
  20. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

After loving my 2 GEM razors, a G-Bar and Featherweight, I tried the Micromatic I got in Darkbulb's PIF tonight. I learned that I really hate GEM Micromatics. lol

CyanideMetal and Darkbulb like this.