Any Scotch Drinkers?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by VetsJetsnGuns, Feb 11, 2008.

1. ktulu64

ktulu64 New Member

Aberlour (especially a'bunadh)
    Ben Nevis
    The Balvenie
    Highland Park
    Dalwhinnie
    Lagavulin

Ron Burgundy: I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Dalwhinnie and Oban... the lighter malts! Irish blended are also great, Paddys is always a favourite...
    Lagavulin, Talisker and the "edible" malts are not to my liking! I don't like shaving my tounge after a Uisgie...

-Just up from the Pub with a wee dram of Oban still warming my throat :p

And this thread with Loch Fyne in the background! Greetings from Scotland!

Attached Files:

3. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

The Balvenie Single Barrel 15 Year Old

I also regularly imbibe:

Glendronnach 12 y/o - great scotch for a newbie, I recommend it because the sherry finish makes it very approachable to the untutored palate.

McCallan Cask Strength

If I'm forced into a blended I usually have Pinch.

4. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

Have a lovely Glenlivet 1969 open at the moment, having a dram before I go to bed. The baby (four months old) is usually having a feeding in three hours or so, so it's best if I limit it to a few ounces (mine, not hers...)

5. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

going to Sweden soon.

I am kinda out of ideas at the moment I have been to Sweden a few times I have a few friends up in Sundsvall and they always invite me over every year.

This year due to I cancelled my trip to Japan I have suddenly some time over to go and visit them will do me some good because I really need a break.
    This guy loves whisky like me, I always surprise him with it. but this year what Whisky to get him... im kinda out of ideas.... :confused:

6. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I brought back a very nice whisky for my father in law, Islay Mist.. it was a blended whisky that was just awesome!

7. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

Although we've generally been discussing fine, single malt scotch, it brought up the memory of my old everyday scotches. The first one was Jamie `08, a cheap blended that I remember as being very drinkable. Good thing too, since it was all I could afford in those days, scotch-wise. I don't remember who distilled it and I haven't seen a bottle in decades. My other everyday was Haig & Haig Black and White. You surely remember the label with the adorable black and white Scottie dogs (actually a black Scottish Terrier and a white West Highland White Terrier) on it. I can't remember the last time I saw a bottle in a liquor store although it is available for order online.

8. SSLSTudio...

Tackse Mycket , I will be on the look out for this one just to drink it up together with him on a good night.
    for a gift I think I will be getting him 3 bottles of Glen Morven.
    I dont know if its a good brand/Whisky but seems like a fun gift to give then you really can taste the different years.

Attached Files:

9. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

And not least, the different characteristics of Speyside, Highland and The Island malts! Speyside is generally milder and the further to the west you get they get "heavier" and "smokier"... Looks like a great gift!

10. SSLSTudio...

Thanks Johan , just back and got the 3 bottles and a special gift carton so the bottles dont clash into eachother this will be really tricky to transport !

Any tips or clues how to do it Johan since you know what I mean by Bolaget Sweden is a special country inside Europe Alcohol wise not many people know this if your NOT from Europe. I hope I dont get busted the woman from the shop said def. if you try to bring this with your onboard luggage thus handbag they will take it out only 1 bottle of alcohol allowed your best chance she said was the main onboard luggage. but that means I must wrap it like a TANK because we all know the boys loading the airplane THROW your bag like a basket ball

I also asked her what is up with all the Glen's man. Glen Livet, Glenfiddich.now Glen Morven its a special side of the country she said , I said yes I understand the water is different in the south then the west sure. but I never really got a real answer about the Glen XXXX that was more my point I know about whisky tastes and the speyside vs Islay. but to me it sounds like a hype to use the word GLEN something that was more my question.
    because the Whisky I bought now is specially being bottles by this chain of stores and instead of calling it Bolaget for example they call it Glen Morven she said dont let the money bother you its because we bottle it ourselves we can cut the price better its a great whisky. thats all I needed to hear.

11. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Hehe, we usually wrap the bottles in the clothes we have in the checked luggage, and make sure they are as much in the middle of the bag as possible. Never had any problem really.

Yeah, you are not allowed to have that much in your carry on, you'll be stopped in the security check, and they will probably relieve you of the bottles. You have to have them in the checked luggage...

Good luck!

12. Aneurysm

Aneurysm New Member

My favourites

Laphroaig Quarter cask
    Highlight park 16yr old
    Talisker 18yr old
    Coal Ila 12 yr old

13. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

52 Posts and no one's mentioned Cutty Sark? For shame...

Seriously, it's my favored Scotch.

14. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

My collection has grown a wee bit and there are several more on the way...

- Balvenie Doublewood 12yo
    - Aberlour 10yo
    - Signatory Unchillfiltered Coll. Edradour 1998
    - Glenfarclas 15yo
    - Arran 10yo (bottled 2005)
    - Talisker 10yo
    - Arran Single Cask (Sherry) 10yo
    - Springbank 100 proof
    - Bruichladdich Mhoine Mhor 2nd
    - Lagavulin 16yo
    - Dalmore "Chieftain's Choice"
    - Laphroaig 10yo
    - Caol Ila 12yo
    - Glengoyne 17yo
    - Octomore 2_140

on the way:
    - Bruichladdich PC8
    - Kilkerran 5yo
    - Kilchoman 3yo inaugural release
    - GM Macduff 1989

other spirits on the way:
    - Woodford Reserve (Bourbon)
    - Appleton Estate 12yo (Rum from Jamaica)

what I'm gonna buy next:
    - Aberlour a'bunadh

15. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm........

Klaus, I think it´s time I pay you a visit :D

And of course bring some Scottish goodies with me to enjoy ;)

16. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Whenever you're in the vicinity, feel free to stop by at my place :D

17. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have 12 year old The Glenlivet and Glenfiddich and a 15 year old Laphroaig.
    Very nice they are too :D.

18. Philq

Philq New Member

I used to love scotch but it seems the last few years I have lost my taste for it.
    Glenfiddich
    Johnny Walker

19. Mandrake

Mandrake New Member

My favourites are Laphroaig, Bowmore, and Lagavulin, and from "outside", Glenrothes.....These days I have been looking for either Laphroaig Cask Strength or Talisker 18 for a good friend birthday, but those are impossible to get here in the island, I'll look for them next time I am on the mainland...

20. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Right now, I have in my cabinet:

Cardhu 12yo
    Bowmore Legend
    Connemara Peated Single Malt
    The Glenlivet 12yo
    The Dalmore 12yo
    Glendfiddich 12yo
    Jameson 12yo (blend)
    Chivas Regal 12yo (blend)
    Grant´s Family Reserve