Trying to help out the wife

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by Norcalnewb, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

So I got my wife a Parker 29L as she was not into trying a vintage razor. After seeing this razor, I wish she would reconsider, but for now it is what she is using. She is complaining about her legs burning after she shaves. She has never used shaving cream in the past and is stubbornly refusing to use some soap with her DE. Are there any other ladies that don't use soap or cream? Is there anything else I can recommend to her?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Find out what scent she likes. My wife uses and loves TSD Victorian Rose soap. I got her her own brush, a pink handle turned by Oscar11 and topped with a best badger knot. I taught her how to whip up a lather and now she's a pro.

By the way, she uses a vintage Pink Star Lady Gillette - likes the longer handle.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

She really should use a goood shave soap or cream. But if she will not, perhaps she might try a pre-shave oil. (Some people shave with just the oil.) You can look to our tutorial section too learn how to make one, easily and cheaply.

Also. she may need to try some different brands of blades.

Norcalnewb and GDCarrington like this.
  4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Did almost the exact same thing other than my wife picked out her own soaps after tying a bunch of mine. The TOBS creams were great for helping her learning to lather.

5. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

My wife is 60 and she grew up having to use a DE razor when she was young. She swore off of them. I can't convince her to try them out again. As long as she allows me to grow my Shave Den, I guess I'm OK with that... but dang... her Sensor Excel blades are expensive, even on Amazon.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. Norcalnewb

I am working on getting her to try some of my creams or soaps. I am really wondering of the razor has some issues as well. The angle of the blade does not look right to me. I may have her try one of my razors, although I don't want to make too many changes. Sara-s, I did follow your instructions on the pre shave oil, which she used. I have been using it for a couple of weeks now and it has been great.

7. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

My wife uses a Parker 29L. She LOVES it. Try something like TOBS Grapefruit and a soft brush. I got my wife a Parker black badger brush that is verrrryyyy soft. Granted, SWMBO usually uses conditioner to shave, once in a blue moon I will let her dip into my stash and know the sensation of a real shave. ;)

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

So, did she like it? Did it make her skinn feel better?

9. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

Kiss My Face products are at local retailers like Whole Foods and Vitamine Shoppe. Grab one of those and just bring it home for her. She will probably break down and use it. If not, I hear they are great so you can just take them for yourself.

10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My wife loves her later 40's nickel Tech (replayed by RazorPlate). But she doesn't use shaving cream or soap. She normally shaves in the tub with soap and, you guessed it, lots of water.

11. Norcalnewb

She hasn't tried is since her initial shave, which she did use the oil. I think she is planning on trying again this weekend.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

OK, please let us know how it goes. I love the feel of a good DE shave on my legs. It would be great for her to enjoy it too.

13. Norcalnewb

OK, she tried again this evening. Not wanting to make this a bad experience for her, I made a bit of a mistake. I had her change several variables in that she used a ball end tech with a Rapira blade and some Kiss My Face shave cream (thanks for the tip @idvsego). It went much better. She at one point thought she was getting a bit of a burning sensation, but I am not sure it wasn't in her head. At the end she got a fairly close shave and said her legs felt good. I had her put on some Stirling unscented AS balm and it all seems much better. She is not fully convinced but this went much better for her. Thanks for all the advice.

14. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Recently My girlfriend has embraced some of my soaps and creams. She liked MdC, Seifenatt neroli and maca root shaving cream. I lather it up for her, but I'm slowly going to teach her how to lather it up herself =)

Try to lather the soap/cream up for her. My girlfriend used to use a clear gel, made especially to not dry out the skin, but one day she said "I don't know why I buy this gel when you have soaps and creams for years and years"

Maybe try shave secret? The oil. I saw on YouTube a woman talking about it. She said 6 drops per leg or something like that. Seems like to little but what do I know