Bigelow & Parkin Travel Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rio Bravo, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Rio Bravo

Rio Bravo Well-Known Member

Make: Bigelow Parkin Co
    Type: Folding DE Safety Razor
    Year: 1921-1935
    Weight: Not bad
    Size: Fits well in your fingers
    Price new: Unknown/free, (marketing gimmick)
    Price paid:At the high end of reasonable
    Review: Rio Bravo
    Date: 12/03/2015

Bigelow and Parkin

image.jpg
    About: The Bigelow & Parkin razor is shiny tiny razor head with wings. There is a stamped B & P logo on the underside, patent date May 11, 1921 & Made in USA. The razor design with the folding flaps & comb makes this tool transform beautifully. I have not seen anything quite like this however I'm sure people with greater razor knowledge could probably provide alternative solutions from competing designers of razors. The Bigelow & Parkin company compact folding razor, no larger than a blade, were used as as marketing tool where businesses would give travel sets away to their customers. Since it's manufacture this B &P razor has been previously owned & used and I see only tiny signs of age or use...it just looks amazing.

First impression:
    image.jpg
    Wow. It's so tiny and shiny. It also feels as though it's a brand new design. I have never been so excited. I recently ordered a 8/8 Revisor razor and that caused a smile but this razor made me feel like a child at Christmas. I just could not believe how good it looks and feels in the hand.

After a polish:
    WOOOOOOOOW. It cleaned up lovely. I sterilised and polished it and it just looks brand spanking new. I cannot believe I have got it and I am so excited.

After my first use:
    I wasn't worried or confused. It's not at all difficult to use, however you need both hands to switch the razor around. It feels comfortable in the hand and your muscle memory seems to automatically account for the size and the layout. I had no issues with holding this razor although I did find myself having to adjust the angle from time to time. During the shave I can confirm I received no cuts.

With the grain: Smooth and easy.
    Across the grain: Intuitively easy as your fingers are almost fully ready to perform such an action due to the shape of the gripping section. Against the grain: Refreshingly easy due to the nature of the grip and hold.

Issues:
    The angles need to be learnt as sometimes you are not holding it correctly and the blade is not making contact.

You need two hands to switch to the other side.

Hot tap water will ensure fingers get hot as it's quite short.

It Feels different. If and when you get one you will know what I mean.

Final thoughts:

I love this razor, I look forward to practicing with it and really look forward to going on trips and vacations. This is a lovely razor, a collectors item which is ageing like a fine wine or whisky.

Would I use it as a everyday razor. No

Would I advise people to purchase: Yes if the price is right and the condition is good

Would I buy again: yes

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    koenfucius, RyX, gorgo2 and 9 others like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you for the excellent review. I would love to see a picture of it in your hand as used.

Rio Bravo and Darkbulb like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Fantastic review and razors. I've been pondering a B-P from time to time....you might have just convinced me that I 'need one' now.
    There is another...similar....kinda...razor that I've been eyeing and might pick up....

If you ever do a shaving video this is one razor I would love to see in action :)

This is btw what Waits has to say about the B-P:
    [​IMG]

Thanks again, great write-up!

Rio Bravo likes this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The razor looks fantastic. Great write up and review of a very unique razor.

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. Rio Bravo

Will see what I can do. Have to give me a couple of days

mrchick likes this.
  6. Rio Bravo

I'm not sure I have the ability but will try :)

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Here's a photo off the interweb that might suffice as for showing how it's held?

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN, mrchick and Rio Bravo like this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Wow, kind of what I imagined. Thanks

9. Rio Bravo

Forgive the naivety but what is Waits? Is that a book or website on razors?

10. Rio Bravo

image.jpg After a sterilisation and polish. Plus demo of how you hold this razor
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Hopefully these are adequate for you to see how you hold the little guy

RyX, gorgo2 and Darkbulb like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Rio Bravo likes this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

13. Rio Bravo

It's as if whoever owned it or all the people that owned it before me used it sparingly or stored it. If only I knew the history. But it has been rescued and traveled from the US of A to the rainy UK :)

Terry likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Oh be quiet already

:)

Rio Bravo likes this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Btw...if you like the B-P razor.....there IS another razor...a little bit like the B-P that is selling right now on the eBay UK site...that you'd probably go nuts over....

16. Rio Bravo

Do tell. What's it called? I heard of another brand called HANDY

17. Rio Bravo

image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The Gnat.
    There is one on ebay.co.uk

Here are some pics of Gnats (not the one being sold):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure @mrchick needs one as well :D

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. Rio Bravo

Wow. I'd love one of those but I'm not liking the price tag! Also I don't want my B-P getting jealous. :) I will leave it for someone else to adopt

Darkbulb likes this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah they tend to go for north of USD 50 as they're pretty scarce. Pretty lil thing though.
    I'm in the same boat though and will sit out this one.

Rio Bravo likes this.