Semogue 1305 Questions

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TheFiveO, Mar 23, 2015.

1. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Greetings everyone. I am hoping to get some feedback from my more seniors west shavers (experientially, not age).
    I have been wet shaving for a few years now and will be getting a WD High Mountain Brush next weekend for a birthday gift from my wonderful wife. In the meanwhile, I still use my original brush the Tweezerman Badger, decent but doesn't make luxurious foam, and my Semogue 1305; the topic of this post.

No matter whether I use a soap or a cream, I cannot seem to get a good whipped cream type lather with this brush and what lather I am able to get, seems to only last for maybe 1 pass/lathering. The 2nd one seems to pull all of the soap out of the brush and leave the bristles feeling "waxy". I have heard how boar is stiffer but this Semogue is very floppy. (The paint is chipping off the wooden handle but I attribute that to a few falls from the top of the shower.) I have heard nothing but great reviews on Semogue brushes so I am wondering if it's my hard water and/or routine, or has anyone else had issues like this?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I have always gotten my best lather with Badger brushes. You'll really like the WD High Mountain brush. Early Happy Birthday. Sounds like a great wife!
    :signs107:

3. TheFiveO

An AMAZING wife!

RaZorBurn123 and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

One of if not the best move I have ever made was marrying my wife of 45 years. Congrats.!!!

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Don't know what you are doing with that S 1305. It could be water related or soap related. I'm loving mine.

SDK and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Not a fan of semogues myself.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The paint chipping off I'd say is due to the dropping, what soaps/creams are you using? I have a really easy time with my 1305 with hard soaps, I have really hard water. What I would suggest is loading more product. As far as the brush being floppy, you could try putting it in the cardboard toilet paper roll in between use to see if that tightens up the knot.

Tedolph, Mike Brown, jwr0201 and 3 others like this.
  8. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I would say that as long as you find a brush that works for you that all is well.

I suspect your hard water is playing a role. I have soft water and my 1305 lathers everything with minimal effort.

Tedolph, Jayaruh and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Badger and boar are a bit different when it comes to lathering technique. I found what Kerry said to be true with boar - they need more product than badger.

10. TheFiveO

Thanks everyone for your input. I used it last night with RR XXX and used what I felt was a lot of product and indeed it did do really pretty well. Tonight with an ooooolllllllddddd Stirling puck I came across, not so much. That may be more related to the age of the soap. (I think I bought a several year old display item). Even with the trials and tribulations, it's still fun to learn what does and doesn't work and all the related experimentation.

Kerry I use so many different soaps/creams and shave sticks, it would be hard to be specific. It does play well with the Arko.

I am so looking forward to my new WD brush this weekend! (Not to mention the poor man's strop that will let me put my Filarmonica into action finally)

11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have a 1305 I easily can get 3+passes with any soap I have tried. I do have another Semogue boar I'm currently breaking in. I have no desire (yet) to acquire a badger. All I can offer; if you don't like it PIF it :)

12. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I dont think the age of the soap matters here =) my semogue I have realized just needs more soap, its very different from my synthetics or badgers. As you say yourself, experimentation is key here. When I struggle to get a good lather with a soap, I try to over load it =P when you think you have loaded to much, load some more. It looks like you have it =P

and why would you buy a several years old display item? ;P

Tedolph, Bristle Me and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. TheFiveO

Well, it's a funny story. I was at the Old Town Shaving Company in Pasadena California and the staff there was very helpful, however I didn't need anything expensive. I saw two pucks of Stirling soap sitting in a corner of the building and they were priced at $4.50 each. I felt somewhat obligated to buy something for all of the help I had been given, and friendliness they had shown. It wasn't until I got home and started smelling the puck that I realized that it was probably old due to the stale smell. I called Stirling soap and spoke to the owner who told me he had never done a wholesale order to OTSC and the smell should be much stronger and the wrapping in much better shape. Stirling believes it may have just been old personal stock the store owners had when they started up the business. I am still impressed with the slickness of the soap and my whole experience at the store.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  14. TheFiveO

I would PIF it, but, with the way the paint is flaking off and peeling, and the wood underneath starting to crack, I'd be embarrassed to PIF it. I might just give it a proper burial one day....

15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    How about a light sanding and a coat of lacquer? Give it that aged, distressed look.
    I have two Semogues, the BC Mistura and the 620. Love them both. Not the same as my Simpson Badgers, but certainly more economical.
    There's a place in the shave den for both badger and boar...[​IMG]

Bristle Me and TheFiveO like this.
  16. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

It's to bad, you would love stirlings soaps. New soaps =P

17. TheFiveO

Oh after talking to the owner, and reading reviews, I will definitely be buying Stirling products.

18. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Hold on to that 1305 then. Stirling soaps and good boar brushes are a great match for each other....

19. TheFiveO

After watching all the Nick Shaves videos on Youtube, I fully intend to buy another boar. Probably the Omega 10066 or similar line

20. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Omegas and Stirling soaps are also like baseball and hotdogs! :happy088: