What's in a name?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Salty Belle, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

How much do you consider the name of the company, company and fragrance blurbs when shopping online for soap (bath or shave)? If the name seems too feminine or "campy" does that cause you to skip the shop and products? I suppose what I'm asking is, what draws you in and gets you to click, or drives you away to keep on surfing?

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I guess as one who uses and recommends Kiss My Face shave cream, and get great results from a Gillette Lady Star razor, I can over look a "feminine" name.
    If the product works, it works.

As they say, "A rose by any other name..."
    And by the way, JoAnna makes several super rose scented soaps that I have in my rotation.

To add, as to your original question, I am going to spend more time browsing a site geared to men an men's products longer than one geared toward women with a limited men's section.

Spud likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Branding is important. Until I am familiar with a company and the products they produce, I rely on feedback from like-minded users of said product. I don't "judge a book by its cover".

Spud likes this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I trust these guys more than the internet.
    I'm probably not the guy who finds a new product.
    but I will peruise what the other guys are using, listen to their comments.
    so I'm looking for
    1) a good reputation
    2) reasonable prices
    lastly
    3) nice packaging
    4) free/ fair shipping

Spud and GDCarrington like this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is a combination of things, but a not so big secret is that even in the 1960s a large amount of Blue Sparkled Gillette Lady's razors were sold based on how many show up in todays market. I have a feeling that men were also buying these razors to get a longer handle of a razor with the same head as a Super Speed. So performance really does count in many people's book, and so it does with me. David has done a good job of listing these.

As to a company name, I say in today's market people a neutral company name is the best option. Both men and women need a shaving soap or product that provides slickness, cushion, etc. The real variation is fragrance and that can be handled in the naming of the specific item. "Rose Petal" may sell more with women but some men who like rose scent would buy as well. "Cedar Forest' might be more geared to men but there might be some of the same crossover buying as well. Sometimes spouses may be buying products to "their tastes" to give to their mates to use.

In the end as David discussed, I will respect more the opinion from a like minded group of men and women than a generic advertisement regardless of the name.