My first straights

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Mustache, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

Just picked these up today because the price was right($10/pr) and best looking blades I've seen for less than $30. Scales need to be replaced, but looks like minimal clean up otherwise. So far all I've done is take a used green scotch brite pad to them to read the stampings. Any enlightenment into brand/quality is appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the other one...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

macaronus likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

very nice,
    if you bought on price alone you got very lucky.
    because it looks like you did your research and picked two fine blades.

3. Mustache

Thank you. Yup, bought on price and condition of blade. I've seen most straights start at $25 and a lot of times have larger chips. As for brand name, I have no idea of quality. The wife did a quick search while I was cleaning and both are late 1800's and very early 1900's.

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That W&B faux-frameback (hides before @HolyRollah can correct me :)) looks awesome.
    I'd get in contact with @gssixgun who does amazing and affordable work.

People love Wade & Butcher.
    People love the really wide blades - but also like the faux framebacks.
    A nice, legible etching/wording on the blade seems to be a huge plus.
    If it doesn't say "England" on them I think that means they are older than a hundred (someone correct me here).

Jasman and Mustache like this.
  5. Mustache

Awesome thank you! It does say Sheffield on the tang by the handle. I've been doing a little research on scale restoration/making but will definitely contact gssixgun if/when I have questions.

I'm getting excited now....

Darkbulb likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The country of origin was required to be displayed for imported goods after the passing of the McKinley tariff act of 1890. All Sheffield razors produced and imported post-act would say, "Sheffield England' on the tang.
    I love the etched blade on that W&B frame back. The chip on the edge can be removed. The Genco, however, has some severe hone wear—particularly at the toe end.

Mustache and Darkbulb like this.
  7. Mustache

Thanks HolyRollah.

So would this one be pre-1890 because it doesn't say England? Just Sheffield.
    You say the other one has some severe wear/damage. Is it still use able/fixable?

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes, pre-1890. Post-1890 (1891-on), they will state:
    [​IMG]

Regarding the toe-hone wear:
    SafariScreenSnapz324.jpg
    It never 'fixable' meaning it won't go away, but what can be done is, from this point on, make sure to use even pressure throughout the honing stroke and be sure to add tape to the worn section on the spine when honing.
    If it gets too distorted, getting an even shaving edge can be problematic. I normally avoid razors that show excessive hone wear because of this likelihood.
    Compare the wear in the photo above on bothe the spine and the toe, vs a blade with very little wear…
    SafariScreenSnapz327.jpg

Darkbulb likes this.
  9. Mustache

Great news about the W&B, thank you...

And I definitely see the difference on the other. Thanks for the pictures and tips.

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Love the looks of that W&B! You'll have to hone that dent (under the 'f') out, though.
    Great haul none the less!

Mustache and Darkbulb like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Are the scales salvageable?

12. Mustache

The Genco has tape and is definitely broke...and are plastic.
    [​IMG]
    I really appreciate all the awesome responses to the W&B. While the scales are still solid, there is a crack/chip on the back scale. The scales are cleanable and rivets are solid, so technically I could leave these alone I suppose... But I'm a bit of a perfectionist. If/when I do redo these scales, I'll use them as a template.
    [​IMG]
    The scales on the W&B are a wood/micarta type look/feel. But where its broke looks like a smoothed resin material.

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. Mustache

Also... My father in law is sending me a Wilbert Cutlery straight that he got from a neighbor years ago when he passed away. I'll post pics when it arrives.

Darkbulb likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

SRAD? :)

Mustache likes this.
  15. Mustache

Ya...... Its "a thing of beauty" addiction...

Now I need get a strop, and....

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well I guess if you don't plan in doing any restores or honing yourself a strop is the only thing you need :)

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Black horn, which is quite common on those old W&Bs. The pivot end is shot and needs replacing.

Mustache likes this.
  18. Mustache

Cool... That will make cleaning and polishing a lot easier then.

19. Mustache

Been doing a little sanding...
    [​IMG]
    600grit. Still more to go.. The pitting is pretty light but still a pain to get out. I'm also about ready to remove the scales to get the rest of the handle/tang better.

Darkbulb and HolyRollah like this.