Hard Wool Felt Strop?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by bdalemauger, Mar 31, 2015.

1. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

I recently saw somebody suggest that hard wool felt is a better strop than balsa. I've been using balsa on hardwood for about a year now (I have 2, chromium oxide and iron oxide) that I "refresh" my blade with about every 6 weeks or so and it works out well. I thought I would try the felt to see/feel any difference. I don't know why but when I got done it was the as if I didn't know what I was doing! 20150331_184626_resized (640x480).jpg HHT failed, shave was awful, had to revert to a DE to finish. I went back to my balsa and it seems OK now. Anybody experience this?

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I use the hard wool felt for a refresher. The challenge—especially if hung as a strop—is to ensure one doesn't roll the edge. I'm not claiming this is why you experienced what you experienced; I'm just saying I was mindful of the 'roll' as the wool is far more pliable (bendable) than a regular strop and I had to be extra careful when using it with pastes and sprays. I've only used balsa a few times and wasn't overly pleased with the results. Different strokes.... ;)

txskimo and lindyhopper66 like this.
  3. bdalemauger

Just got done shaving and it's back to normal. I was always careful not to "roll the edge" while using the hanging strop but never thought it could happen on a bench strop. I got the edge back pretty easy with the balsa. Just another lesson learned! Maybe I'll save the hard wool strop for wood chisels.

4. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I made my own strop with hard wool felt stuck to a block of hardwood, not a hanging strop I know, i use mine with 0.5 micron diamond spray for refreshing the edge when it starts to get a bit dull, i agree with HollyRollah that the tendency is to not keep the razor flat because the felt is so springy, although saying that, i only use the lightest of laps with the diamond spray. !!

HolyRollah likes this.
  5. bdalemauger

I may have used too much pressure and rolled the edge. I've since learned that just the weight of the blade is all you need.

HolyRollah likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You would not be the first person to have experienced this...;)

emmijack likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

HERE!

:ashamed001: thought you were calling for people this has happened to