Turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 15, 2015.

1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

In my third week with the CJB and feeling like I'm getting the technique down better, so I started doing some research into Kamisori razors. The real ones, not the Artist Club imitation ones. I've found several options for purchasing one, probably at the end of the month. I'll start the process of looking for strops etc. as well while I continue to figure out which Kamisori I want. I'd love a Mastro Livi CarboInox but, yeah, a bit pricey to start.

I've been watching several vids of true Kamisori technique and am going to start working that into my routine with the CJB. Using only one hand, one side of the blade etc. I'm quite fascinated by this style razor and love the potential once I master it. I also notice Gem Star Customs offers honing for Kamisoris so that helps. Looks like my acquisition disorder got well fed by @Keithmax PIFing the CJB. Another great example of the enablers we are....and I wouldn't have it any other way.

If anyone has advice on choosing a razor or strops I'm all ears.

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I like the Kamisori style hande from the CJB so much I ordered a custom western grind Kamisori from Portland razors. I went their round point blade, now comes the wait.

I'm usimg this as motivation to keep using my CJB and straight razor. Hopefull I will have improved by the time I get the razor.

Glad to see your using the CJB and making progress.

wristwatchb and NCoxSTL like this.
  3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Think you will manage to hold off until the end of the month? :signs136:

txskimo and NCoxSTL like this.
  4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Not much choice at this point. It's all about available funds. Otherwise I'm sure I'd have a few on the way already. LOL

txskimo and Drygulch like this.
  5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have two western straights on thier way back to me from being honed. I am going to see how I do with those before I order a kamisori, but I expect I will have one before the summer is over.

I tried doing the single side/ right hand with my Feather Artist Club, and haven't been too successful. There are a few spots on the right side of my neck I just can't comfortably get, and the ATG stroke on my neck can be very challenging.

45auto, txskimo and NCoxSTL like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

My left hand is my problem with mine at the moment anyway so I am hoping the change to right hand only will be better. It can't be much worse I don't think. I spent an hour last night watching a kamisori shave and held the CJB (without a blade) and tried the technique. Didn't seem too horribly awkward but again......no blade. We'll see if having that added in changes things.

txskimo likes this.
  7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I am also right handed, but my arm just doesn't bend the correct way to get the base of my neck on the right side, and the ATG with the right hand.

45auto and NCoxSTL like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

My problem on the right side of the neck is I'm not sure what ATG is. I think it changes by square inch. :angry032: But I keep hacking at it.

Drygulch likes this.
  9. Keithmax

I also practice with CJB without a blade. It gave me enough confidence to use my left hand.... but I still have a long way to go.

Drygulch and NCoxSTL like this.
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I did surprisingly well with just my right today. No bloody massacre at least.

Bama Samurai, Drygulch and Keithmax like this.
  11. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

A Kamisori is on my list of razors to own at some stage!!

NCoxSTL likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My only hesitation on getting a kamisori is they can be challenging to hone.
    (I know‚—thats pretty weak. If I truly wanted one, I could have a hone meister do it for me! :D)

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I have found a couple of places that hone kamisoris so that would be my plan at least for now. One of them is only a couple of hours away and recommended by mantic.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Oh yeah...I am always down for a little MAYhem!

NCoxSTL likes this.
  15. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

That is why some of us use a DE razor for clean up.

NCoxSTL and Drygulch like this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I had never heard of the Portland Razor Co. until I read your post. I checked out their website, and you, sir, are an enabler of the highest order! :p I'd love to see a photo of your new razor once you receive it! :happy088:

Keithmax, Drygulch and NCoxSTL like this.
  17. Keithmax

I will definitely post a picture when it arrives.

45auto, wristwatchb and NCoxSTL like this.
  18. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

That makes two of us.