The King Oscillator - "The shave that clicks"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Apr 19, 2015.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Why not just say you tried straight shaving with an electric knife?

mrchick, trey06dmd and NCoxSTL like this.
  2. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Busted out the ole turkey carver last night. 3 passes to a DFTD. Darn Fine Thanksgiving Dinner.

mrchick likes this.
  3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I'll bring the Stuffing.

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Today was my first day shaving with this beast and I have to say it wasn't bad. It was definitely the noisiest shave I have ever had. I guess "The shave that clicks" sounded better than "The razor that rattles".
    The first thing I noticed was that tipping the razor until the rollers turned put me at the correct angle for shaving. It actually shaved fairly well even though the NOS blades did not seem to be as sharp as some of my modern blades. It did pull a little and I plan on stropping my blade tomorrow to see if that can be improved.
    All in all, I would say I got a DFS on the first shave with zero blood.
    I look forward to using it a few more days, maybe even the rest of the week. I will update you guys again.
    How was it for you @Darkbulb?

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Happy to hear you are unscathed!

clint64 and mrchick like this.
  6. mrchick

Darkbulb just PM'd me a pic of how his first day went. I guess plating on the razor is more important than we thought.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429540672.507164.jpg

ischiapp, PLANofMAN, Jorvaljr and 2 others like this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Haha, I'm still 15-20 mins away from my shave. Having a coffee, doing some emails and browsing dumb postings online :)

Slow Joe and mrchick like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I don't know....that looks better than I've seen him.

mrchick likes this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

[Putting in an official request for a "Dislike"-button]

Slow Joe, Drygulch and NCoxSTL like this.
  10. mrchick

What dumb postings?

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

King Oscillator Shave report #1 - Darkbulb

Ok, so, I had my first oscillating shave this morning.

Before I go into any details let me add some additional photos to show off this beast;

Loaded it up with the NOS, proprietary blade (yes, I did disinfect it even though one can't tell)
    [​IMG]

Tested the Oscillating movement again - looks ok (see video below):

So, I was all ready. I gathered my gear du jour and headed off to shave.
    [​IMG]

That's when it went south.

As I started to shave I noticed that it was hard to engage the wheels - and hence the 'oscillating' effect.
    I tried a different angle and the clankety wheels did seem to engage and I'm guessing that the blade therefore did it's thing.
    I did keep having to adjust the angle as the wheels lost traction in the lather.

Shaving my other cheeks I noticed that the bade was very tuggy. A sensation that was probably not noticed earlier due to me me focusing on razor-wheels and a blade moving left and right. It was tuggy to the point of it being rather uncomfortable.

I did complete the shave - sans blood - but it was far from a pleasant experience.
    Either @mrchick is a far superior shaver than I am - or b) my blade needs some serious stropping - or maybe it's both :)

I would rate this as potentially 0ne of my three worsts shaves since I took up wetshaving.

So, will I shave with it again tomorrow?
    Yes, I'll try to strop the blade, maybe using a different King blade and play around with the angles

Am I looking forward to the shave tomorrow?
    No. I'm really not.

Will this be one of the razors that I will sell off?
    Oh yes.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  12. mrchick

I had the tugging as well. I hope a strop helps.

NCoxSTL and Darkbulb like this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Will you just hand hold the blade and strop it or do you have an old stropping handle that might fit the blade?
    I might just strop it on a pair of old jeans...don't want to risk cutting my leather strop :D

mrchick likes this.
  14. mrchick

Im going to use a paddle strop.

Darkbulb likes this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Sans blood? Well you can't have everything. It will be interesting to see if it improves for either of you with stropping. Tugging with a moving blade.....I can think of a few ways that could be a disaster.

Drygulch, mrchick and Darkbulb like this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I added a video showing a bit of the blade movement - hopefully that explains it better :)

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zinteresting.jpg

Darkbulb likes this.
  18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Thanks for all the pics/videos. Makes it very easy to understand. Fascinating razor. I still feel like I'd rather risk a straight against my neck than a blade that does that but it appears it works to at least some degree.

mrchick and Darkbulb like this.
  19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'd be an interested buyer.

Darkbulb likes this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

If you're serious it's yours for 10 bucks at the end of the year :)

mrchick and NCoxSTL like this.