The King Oscillator - "The shave that clicks"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Apr 19, 2015.

1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Sold!

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Sweet. I won't hold you to it but I will check in with you at the end of the year to see if you still want it :)

NCoxSTL likes this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Why didn't I get a similar answer when I offered to buy your Leresche?

Darkbulb likes this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That is like comparing apples and oranges - the Leresche is actually a great razor :)

Jorvaljr and mrchick like this.
  5. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Well, at least that oscillator LOOKS cool! :lyrtuy5:

Jorvaljr and mrchick like this.
  6. mrchick

I figured out how to get a BBS shave with this thing! I carefully stropped the blade, lathered up and started this noisy bugger up. I suffered through two passes of tugging my whiskers out by the roots, picked up my Grand Shave King for pass three and got BBS. So, if you buy an Oscillator, I suggest you buy it with a Grand Shave King. If you just want an average shave with lots of tugging, use the Oscillator by itself.

Are we done @Darkbulb

RyX, barbersurgeon, Jorvaljr and 4 others like this.
  7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well come on now, who here doesn't want an average shave combined with lots of tugging? Sounds like a great shave!

You, sir, may be excused from the experiment if you so desire. @Darkbulb still has work to do. :sad038:

RyX, wristwatchb, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Shaving Report #2 - Darkbulb

Second day of shaving with this monster and unfortunately I didn't have time (read: completely forgot about it) to strop the blade to try and eliminate some of the tugging felt yesterday.

I played around with different angle, more or less lather and I did manage to rather consistently have the oscillating mechanism engaged...it was moving the blade left and right as I rolled the razor across my face. Not that I am quite sure that it actually helped in any way.

I'll be honest - the shave was not good. Tuggy, uncomfortable and a little bit scary.
    I did complete it though - and again, no blood was shed. Yay for no blood.

Pros:
    * Really neat looking razor. Very steampunk.
    * "Works" great - the mechanism is simple but it does move the blade consistently.

Cons:
    *Uncomfortable shave.
    * Hard to find and maintain the angle to get the oscillating effect
    * Hard to find good, NOS blades as it will require a proprietary blade to work.

This will be my first 'throw in the towel' week. I can't see myself doing a third day of shaving with it. Maybe if I had a better blade, maybe if I took the time to strop one - I'm almost certain that some of the tugging has to come from the 70 year old blade.
    But, I'm calling it quits and will clean it up and put it back on the shelf for now.

Maybe @mrchick was able to strop his blade(s) to the point where the razor truly shines.

In the spirit of Ryan Seacrest. Darkbulb. Out!

[​IMG]

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Bummer that stropping didn't help much :(

We are so done :)
    Thanks for co-experimenting, it was fun!

Decided to keep it as 'mint' as possible for you :)

wristwatchb, NCoxSTL and clint64 like this.
  10. mrchick

It was fun to try, but like you I am retiring my King Oscillator .

We will have to do this again something with a more pleasant razor. Get yourself a Grand Shave King. I'm liking mine a lot

Darkbulb likes this.
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well I'll let you off the hook with that kind of consideration and concern. Sounds like that idea might have been good and maybe, just maybe, with new blades it was a decent razor. The whole idea though of a blade sliding back and forth while shaving just seems wrong. Too many chances to tug, slice, dice, etc. Thanks to you and @mrchick for risking lip and cheek![/quote]

Darkbulb and mrchick like this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That was a great buy....hidden in a lot if I remember correctly.

I agree, it was fun. Maybe plan some 'razor-theme-week' with somewhat unusual razors that 3-4 people have - and try them out in parallel.

mrchick likes this.
  13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Good tries, gentleman! I think you've both figured out why there is not a Mach3 Turbo or Fusion Glide version of this effect.

mrchick and Darkbulb like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    "No blood" is good.

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

One thing that I actually really, really like about my King is the patina on the head - it is clear that the owner, back in the 40's, used this razor quite a lot - for years by the look of it.
    You can clearly, in the picture below, see the patina around the mechanism and where the razor head would had interacted with his face.
    I guess either the blades were better new or he was a very stubborn man.
    I think I'll call him Burt.

[​IMG]

barbersurgeon and Slow Joe like this.
  16. mrchick

Well mine obviously got little or no use. It looks almost like new. It's owner must have been sane. I'll call him Ernie.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429629460.035778.jpg

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

For the rest of the week, I will be trying out a much more common razor - but new to me - the Schick Krona
    Bonus for everyone: No history write-up as it's a widely known razor :D

Can't wait....

[​IMG]

18. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Sorry it didn't go so well. But thanks for the interesting write up.

19. mrchick

What a nice morning. No King Oscillating razor today. A BBS with my Leresche. Life is good again

NCoxSTL and Darkbulb like this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Getting ready to shave with my Schick "Krona".
    I think I hear birds singing.