SoS: April 27, 2015 - May 3, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Apr 26, 2015.

1. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

image.jpg Razor: Dubl Duck Special #1 1947-52 (rescaled)
    Gillette 195 Fat Boy (f1) 1960 (5)
    Brush: Whipped Dog 30/45 Silvertip
    Mug: Old Spice 1985 Cobalt Blue
    Cream: Castle Forbes cedarwood & sandalwood cream
    Blade: Feather (3)
    Post shave: Thayers Cucumber WH, Jack Black Post Shave Gel, Old Spice 1973

Second shave with this beautiful Dubl Duck. Lathered up the Castle with my silvertip in my favorite OS mug, sitting in a sink of hot water, for some nice warm lather. Spent extra time hydrating my beard with the Castle. Started like my first shave going from my sideburn to my jaw line on my right side with my right hand. It went well again, so I did the left side with my left hand. That went so well I did my neck on my left side. Looking good, so left hand right hand going easy trying to figure out the best approach. Not pushing my luck I stopped there and finished with my FB, and only needed 1 pass. I'm getting the hang of this but it will take some time to figure all the angles. Still not close everywhere but my cheeks and the left side of my neck. No blood today, and my DE shaving seems to benefit from working with the Duck. Nice cucumber smell with the WH, and then some soothing JB Gel. After cleanup some vintage OS.

2. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Thank you! :)

3. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Beautiful Duck! :eatdrink047:

vwp528, crackstar, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  4. spacehobo

spacehobo Well-Known Member

SOTD 04.28.2015

Prep: Hot shower, PSO
    Razor: '56 Gillette Super Speed
    Blade: Feather (1)
    Brush: Omega 80080 Boar Brush
    Soap: TSD Barber Shoppe

Today I dropped my alum block and it shattered in 3 pieces. :signs081:

Overall excellent shave. The Super Speed pairs really well with a Feather blade. I couldn't believe how easy it was.

[​IMG]

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thanks! The MdC comes in the bowl. It's a lot of soap!

vwp528, Llyr, crackstar and 3 others like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

•Gillette Ranger Tech w/Senator doors and handle extender
    •new Big Ben blade
    •VDH/Omega

2 pass supersmooth BBS.

Stanley Home Products "Points North" a/s and cologne.

7. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    SOTD - Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Shower
    Prep: Homemade PSO
    Brush: Simpsons Duke 3
    Soap: Catie's Bubbles Spanish Holiday
    Razor: Merkur 38C
    Blade: Astra SP (2)
    Aftershave: Fine Fresh Vetiver

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

that's a very specific hot rod. did you customize yourself, or order it that way?
    how bout some pics.
    did your engine modifications improve your results?

vwp528, Llyr, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

April 28

Stirling Sheep facial soap
    Merkur 37C slant bar razor
    Feather blade (day 1)
    Omega 98 Professional boar brush
    Arko & glycerin
    Two passes plus touch-ups
    Alum, Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Nivea Sensitive Post-Shave Balm

A fantastic start to this Tuesday! I hope you all are having a great week!

SOTD_042815.jpg

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

29 April Plan

[​IMG]

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod150429.JPG
    Wednesday's
    ZCOLDWATER1.jpg

Shower
    Proraso Green Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh WC4 HMB
    '62 Gillette Slim
    Rapira Super Stainless
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayers Lemon WH
    Pinaud Classic Vanilla

The Proraso Green Shaving Soap face-lathered well with my Jayaruh WC4 HMB brush. Two passes with my '62 Gillette Slim razor and a Rapira Super Stainless blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Lemon WH and then Pinaud Classic Vanilla after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Wednesday morning's action:

This post of mine comes with a lovely You Tube featuring a personal friend of mine from Congo-Kinshasa named Felix Wazekwa singing a nice love song "Suka na Mwana." This is one of my wife's favourites!

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/SuperMax Blue day 3
    Stirling Glacial Lavender SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen AS Balm :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Osage Rub AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Chabrawichi 555 Cologne

Damn, damn, damn - why can I not stop using my Glacial soaps? The answer is simple - it's because I frigging LOVE them, and the more I use them, the more I love them. Every time I lather up with this Lavender one I go "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, that feels so wonderful!" Every time I smell the classic, refined lavender scent which is mixed with ten tons of freezing-cold menthol I say to myself "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, this is going to be a shave from Paradise!" and believe me, it is. This soap not only freezes like there's no tomorrow, it gives such a soothing and relaxing sensation to my skin and mind. The Glacial Wintergreen balm is something else I intend to keep in my rotation, as is the Rubby Dubby Doo. Enjoy the video, and I'll be happy to give translations of the French and Lingala lyrics, since I speak both those languages perfectly. ;) :D

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The original doors were shot so I put on some Senator doors. Had to grind down the centerbar but no real loss there. The new doors threw off the head geometry so it took a couple of shaves to get the handling right, but now that I know how to drive it, the shave feels like a Red Tip.

The extension is just a grip from a cheap pen; gives me something to wrap my pinkie around.

Someday I'll get the thing replated; until then, a bad photo is a blessing cuz it's ugly...but a primo shave.

Attached Files:

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

What, no Avon? ;)

vwp528, Llyr, ObiDon and 3 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Wow, you have an eye for detail! My dear aunt sold Avon back in the early 70s, and I've had this aftershave container for more than 40 years. I had aftershave before I could even shave!

vwp528, Llyr, crackstar and 2 others like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Me too! My dad had the set of pistols, and the Derringer, which he let me keep "on display" in my room.

wristwatchb, vwp528, Llyr and 4 others like this.
  17. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Razor.. Gillette fat boy
    Blade.. ladas
    Brush.. purple b&b essential boar
    Soap.. soap commander inspiration

[​IMG]

18. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

SOTD 4-28-15

Razor: ATT H1 head w/Bamboo handle
    Blade: Astra SP (3)
    Soap: Proraso Green tub
    Bowl: VDH
    Brush: Tweezerman

Preshave was just face wash with warm water and post shave was rinse with warm water then some cold water splashes and pat dry, then apply the alum block

Comments: Third time trying out the H1 plate, again the shave was like Wow! It going up against only a one day growth. The shave was very, very good, I managed to get a DFS easily in only two 1/2 passes and almost no touch up. Dang close to a BBS except the neck area! No weeper but a little irritation felt in the neck area from the Alum blocks feedback. I tried harder today to use even more light pressure and although I did, I did feel like I had to hit the hard spots with an extra pass or extra touch up. Absolutely no complaints today as the H1 plate but I can see where it might not be mild enough for everyday use but based on today's and being the third day, I dont think it would be a problem to use it daily. I could feel it more so more caution is needed if one plans on using it daily vs a growth of two or more days! The Proraso Green is a good soap, it lathered easy and for me it gave me a very nice protective lather. I like it as a change of pace but I do think that it is kinda picky on the amount of water used and by that I mean that some soaps with give a little and allow you to use more water without breaking down even a little but this Proraso is not quite as forgiving in that area. I have used the other Proraro's in tubs so I had a good idea of this up front but if you are new using it, then watch how much water you use.

Please feel free to leave comments on any items used as I enjoy reading them to see what others say about the gear I am using/trying out!

Thx.

SOTD_042815.jpg

19. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Hump Day Planned SOTD
    Razor: PILS 101NE
    Blade: Super Iridium (D5)
    Brush: Thater 4125/2 2 band
    Bowl: Suribachi 5” bowl
    Pre Shave Scrub: RazoRock GLO
    Pre Shave Oil: AOS unscented
    Shave Soap: Maggard's Lime & Bergamot
    Aftershave: Alvarez Gomez Agua De Colonia

[​IMG]

20. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Planned Wednesday SOTD
    [​IMG]
    Schick J type Injector razor
    Schick blade (5)
    L'Occitone Plisson synthetic brush
    Myrsol Emulsion preshave
    MdC lavender shaving soap
    Myrsol Agua Balsamica aftershave
    Alt Innsbruck EdC

I'm looking forward to trying both the Myrsol products and the Alt Innsbruck for the first time. The Agua Balsamica will be a great pairing with the MdC as both have great lavender scents. This will be shave number 5 with the schick injector blade with no signs of giving up yet.