May 2015 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic-Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Apr 29, 2015.

?

What is your razor type of choice for May?

Poll closed May 1, 2015.
  1. DE

66.7%
  2. SE or Injector

20.0%
  3. Traditional Straight

13.3%
  4. Kamisori/fixed or replaceable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Shavette/barber razor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Carts/Disposables

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other/Not Listed (please post choice on thread if desired)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am in the same boat. I have to shave for safety reasons though. Keep safe!

jakie55, txskimo, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Day 2
    30 Day Rule with a Schick

image.jpg

Yesterday the Alum was a little hot...will try a little more shallow blade angle and see if I can get this razor to full automatic! Proraso is super easy and makes great lather on the Plisson. Gonna be the Veg as the finisher!

Have a Great Weekend!
    :)

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

May 3 Plans

Stirling Sheep facial soap
    Weber PH
    Feather blade (day 2)
    Rudy Vey Shavemac two-band silvertip
    MdC scented shave soap & glycerin
    Two passes
    Alum, Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Alt-Innsbruck

I look forward to my second shave with this set up. Have a blessed Sunday!

SOTD_050315.jpg

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

MAYhem & Mercy
    May 2, 2015
    Prep - Hot shower and towel
    Brush - Tweezerman Badger
    Soap - Williams (Is it a soap or not?) Mug Shaving Soap
    Razor - Vintage Soviet - the "Soyuz 1"
    Blade - zaza-super-stainless.jpg zaza2.jpg (1)
    Post - Alum, Nivea Replenishing Post Shave Balm

Day two of MAYhem, day one of the Zaza blade. This is a blade from Turkey and I have rarely seen it mentioned in forums. However, it is usually not mentioned favorably, though I do think I saw one fan. Well, YMMV as we all know, especially on blades. For me this is a pretty poor blade. I noticed immediately that it lacked something important to a blade.....sharpness. It also tended to pull a bit indicating it was having trouble cutting which means it lacked......sharpness. After the first pass I ran a hand over my face and neck and really had to wonder if it had done much of anything. Two passes later and I had a CCS. The Soyuz didn't help, I'm sure, but I didn't suffer any cuts, nicks, weepers, missing digits, though I'm not convinced it's sharp enough to do that kind of damage. Day two tomorrow and I'm going to slow down a bit and attempt to get at least close to a DFS.

A note about the brush and soap. The Tweezerman badger is just not my kind of brush. Too floppy and against the Williams puck it seems outmatched. I had to reload before the third pass to even attempt a lather, and attempting a lather is the norm for this soap so far. I tried going a bit drier today and found that didn't help at all. I still get the nice big bubbles that imitate a lather, and when working it into a lather on the face I can get coverage but it dissipates alarmingly fast. The worst part is it seems to leave nothing behind. With VDH and even St. Charles Shave soap if the lather is a bit thin you at least get a slick layer left over.

Tomorrow I am also going to work on adding more water to the Williams and seeing if that will help with lather production. It is possible that the dragging and pulling of the Zaza is compounded by lousy lather in addition to lacking......sharpness.

Wanted to share something I found to leave you with today. As much trouble as I give the Russians for their engineering skills (or lack thereof) they are incredibly inventive and creative. Check out this monster they considered during World War II. They tried a few prototypes and found it incredibly deadly. Unfortunately it was mostly deadly to its crew. Still, give them a star for thinking outside of the box!
    184293_3776455589389_188246731_n_by_lyokowarrior4ever-d5voodr.jpg

jakie55, bnccna2, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

May 2nd , SOTD (Shave 2 of this focus)
    One and a half days’ growth
    Prep: Hot Shower
    DE Razor: 1941 National Razor Company Bakelite Razor
    DE Blade: Astra SP- Stropped 30 times per edge (1st shave on blade)
    Soap: Barrister & Mann's Seville
    Brush: Ever-Ready 100T- TGN 20mm Synthetic Knot set at 52mm loft
    Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Alum Block, Thayer’s Witch Hazel
    Aftershave: The Shave Den Iced Barbershoppe
    IMG_1353.JPG
    I still have scabs on my chin and neck from my last two shaves, so I decided to skip the straight razor today. I also picked up some wild caught razors this morning, and wanted to try one of them. It’s not my focus, but that is the point of Mayhem right? First off the brush, this is only the second time I have used this since I re-knotted it. It is awesome. Very soft, but plenty of back bone. Lather hog that doesn’t need to be soaked. My only complaint is that I like to mash the bristles down on my neck and face to work the lather in, and this brush doesn’t do that as well as my other brushes. I think a bigger knot might do this better.

Razor: I found a little information, it is actually Bakelite, made in Ohio in 1941(ish.) This one cleaned up very well. I want to try a different polish on it, to see if I can really make it shine. It is a very light razor. It weighs 20 grams, including a blade and with some water still on it. It is a pretty mild razor, but does very well. Two pass DFS, almost BBS. I had to use some pressure, since there just isn’t enough weight to do anything else. Great audio feedback and balance. Did some clean up on my neck, and didn’t quite catch the baby, but did get a nick under my chin. All in all, I really like the way this razor shaves. @Bristle Me, does that tell you what you wanted to know? Might have to keep it just so I have one non-Gillette vintage in the line up. Then again, I might trade it, who knows?

Shaving with the shavette and the straight has made using a DE seem so incredibly simple. I can see why other forms of shaving faded out once easier ones were developed. (Note I didn't say better, just easier.) I have noticed that my straight razor shaves seem to last longer, will be curious to see if that is true.

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpg

Homemade PS Oil
    Vie-long Horsehair Brush
    Stirling Cocoa Forest
    EJ Chatsworth Barley
    Gillette Nacet
    Stirling Unscented
    Barbasol Brisk AS

The final day on the Gillette Nacet blade. It provided a good shave to start the day. I think I will add this to the list for order later.

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

MAYhem & Mercy
    May 3, 2015
    Prep - Hot shower and towel
    Brush - Tweezerman Badger
    Soap - Williams (Seriously...what is this stuff) Mug Shaving Soap
    Razor - Vintage Soviet - the "Soyuz 1"
    Blade - [​IMG][​IMG] (2)
    Post - Alum, Nivea Replenishing Post Shave Balm

Day two on the Zaza. I know that some blades improve on their second shave so I was wondering if this one would. Nope. Nada. Nothing. Oh, sorry....NYET! There we go. I can't say the blade doesn't work because you can eventually grind down the stubble. I will say that I believe I have a DFS today......barely. It took three full passes and some Gillette Sliding on my neck (which isn't the same with the Soviet and Zaza) but I got there. Once again the Williams just perplexed me. I added more water today, really whipped those suds up (can't really call it lather) and went to town face lathering after doing all I could in the Old Spice mug. Once again the first pass wasn't too terrible but each pass after just dissipated away. If you can't shave fast you won't have anything left before you finish!

Alum was a bit noisy due to the extra effort I put in but the Nivea cooled it back down. Glad I bought that for this month!

I think tomorrow I'll switch to the Rapira just to give it a shot with this blade. No blood or other problems with the Soyuz 1 so I'll see if I can stay that way with the Rapira. As for the Williams........I'm going to do some research on it and see what I may be missing. I know the Tweezerman isn't really helping my cause but I'll stick with it and see what I can do.
    Soviet DE resize.jpg

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Since I use a DE razor maybe once a month, I can tell you I notice the difference in the speed and ease of using a DE. No doubt about it, if I'm lazy or in need of a rapid good shave, the DE is the way to go. Both provide ultra-smooth results, both will get you there—but the interaction when using the straight razor is something I always look forward to. IT is a developed skill, something that requires your attention, care and purpose. Back in my DE days, I used to let my mind wander on what the new day will bring during the shave. Not so during an SR shave—my mind is fairly focused on the task and I'm completely in-tune with what my hand is doing with the razor. This is 'self-preservation' mode, I suppose, but to me it is almost a therapeutic time where I am completely focused on the task and blocking out all other distractions.

Cap7597, Troy M, jakie55 and 9 others like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

SUNDAY, May 3
    Day 2
    A near-identical set-up to yesterday's fine shave, with the addition of a mentholated pre shave balm from TSD.
    The MdC provides plenty of lube & protection, but the balm adds a nice 'chill' that I enjoy—especially on these very early morning shaves.
    A noisy 3+pass shave where I paid particular attention on my 'trouble' spots—areas of growth that seem stubborn about yielding to my efforts.
    These areas tend to be located along or just under the jawline, where the growth is ATG when drawing the razor from ear to chin at an angle. After 3-4 variations on the angle, I finally got the BBS results in those areas—BUT with all the work, the area was now a bit tender. The post-shave balm helped sooth this.

[​IMG]

10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

May 4 Plans

Stirling Sheep facial soap
    Weber PH
    Feather blade (day 1)
    Rudy Vey Shavemac two-band silvertip
    MdC scented shave soap & glycerin
    Two passes
    Alum, Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Alt-Innsbruck

So far, so good with this set up! I haven't discovered the famed MdC lather explosion from a 30-second load to the brush yet. However, I do get a nice, slick lather...but nothing yet like I got from Arko. I hope to sort out whether this is due to technique, the addition of too much glycerin to the lather, or a combination of both. Using the same hardware, I plan to split May into thirds, first using MdC, then XPEC, and finally LPL.

May is my favorite time of year. First of all, my beautiful Bride and I celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary on the 16th. :love029::love055: We also have great weather with plenty of sunshine and daytime temps reaching into the 80s.

I hope you all have a terrific week!

SOTD_050415.jpg

11. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

May 3 - shave 2
    Prep: Stirling Metha Preshave oil
    Soap: Col Conk Bayrum
    Straight: Gemstar DFS Razor #214- blade AJ Jordan, 5/8, Double Hollow Grind, Spike point
    DE Razor: Merkur Progress
    DE Blade: Wilkinson Sword
    Nivia: sensitive skin post shave balm
    Growth 2.5 days

Thought that an extra day of rest was in order since I was burned bad from the first May straight on the 1st. I did 2 passed with the gemstar, but my angle was have been way off, since it really didn't seem to take any whiskers with it. Hit or miss. Ugh - this is a lot tougher to do it right that I thought! I was careful to not hit the same area over and over causing another burn day, just relathered and tried again. Either I've got to have my straights rehoned - is it possible that I screwed up the blade with a poor stropping job? I am thankful that I have the merkur to back me up. I did two more passes with the Merkur and ended up with a BBS shave. Loved that I had the time to enjoy the learning curve this afternoon. I'm hoping the @HolyRollah or @gssixgun can chime in...
    rsz_img_20150503_143635983.jpg

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

05/03/2015
    Razor – Mongoose B2 with Jürgen Hempel Ti
    Blade –Feather Super Pro (7)
    Brush –Rubberset 400-3 with WSP HMW
    Lather – B&M Seville
    Post - Witch Hazel and Myrsol F Extra

[​IMG]

I had planned to use my Schick travel setup the last morning of my motorcycle trip. But alas, far too many adult beverages last night caused a change of plans. I decided to just push on home this morning and shower and shave once I arrived. Fantastic near BBS shave with the Mongoose. The Feather Super blade continues to impress and should last several more shaves. I really enjoy the scent and performance of the B&M Seville. Finished off with a splash of Myrsol F Extra and I am ready for a later afternoon meeting.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If you roll the edge a few times while stropping, you will certainly diminish the effectiveness of the edge.

Bama Samurai, Drygulch and Norcalnewb like this.
  14. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

Then it needs to be rehoned? @gssixgun just honed before sending and after one shave i stropped it. No clue what I'm doing - trying to figure it out as I go :) Sorry for all the noobie questions. I just want to know and be successful in TSR shaving!

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

No apologies necessary. Practically everyone who has ever stepped in to the realm of straight razor shaving usually has plenty of questions, makes plenty of mistakes, and often learn from trial & error. When starting out, stropping feels awkward; shaving with the blade feels awkward. It's all a process that simply takes time and familiarity. You'll get there.

Try testing the blade on your arm hair. A well-honed and stropped blade should have hairs 'popping' off without much effort.
    Sure, doing this you may wind up with some funny looking bald patches on your forearms, but consider them a 'badge of membership' in the brotherhood of SR shavers! :D

NCoxSTL, Drygulch, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Day 3
    30 Day Rule with a Schick!

image.jpg
    Day 3 saw a chase for the baby...

I am noticing that Proraso ain't Arko, but it makes my skin feel pretty good. Today I tried to shave slowly and precisely, and managed to catch near BBS on two passes. Lately my best shaves have been with a Schick, and today was no exception. I used skin stretching techniques on all the angles and found it to be an easy and comfortable way to shave the neck and jaw. Alum was cool and smooth...Veg wasn't too loud either! Automatic!

Have a Happy Monday!
    :)

Troy M, jakie55, NCoxSTL and 4 others like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

(I am reading intently)

Hang in there Eric! Great shaves await...I really wanna see you get this!

jakie55, wristwatchb, Seabs and 3 others like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

I wish Barbasol AS was easier to find in Denver!

Norcalnewb likes this.
  19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Brush Focus: Day 2 (yesterday)
    Brush: Fendrihan Sliver Tip, 22/49
    Gillette Super Speed, 1947 Birth Razor.
    Gillette Platinum Blade
    Bowl: KO Shave
    Soap: Jack's Soap
    AS: Lucky Tiger.
    Old Spice Coffee Mug.
    FocusBrush3 5 15.jpg

Good brush holds lather very well, and feels good in the hand. When I first got this brush it shed quit a few hairs but after a month it stopped. Being a Silver Tip of which I have a few ;) they seem to me to be very consistent in there application of lather. Had a very good 3 passes with a touch up. "
    Life every day like it was your last and some day you'll be right." ;)

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

05/4/2015
    Razor – Mongoose B2 with Jürgen Hempel Ti
    Blade –Feather Super Pro (8)
    Brush –Shavemac Silvertip D01
    Lather – B&M Latha
    Post - Witch Hazel and Myrsol Blue Sample

[​IMG]

Fantastic near BBS 2 pass shave this morning. The B&M Latha is very easy to lather and I find it to be very slick. The scent is ok at best but for me a good thing that the scent is gone by the time I am finished lathering. The Myrsol Blue finished up with a nice scent and great post shave feel.