Parker 89R discussion

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sparky5693, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Bobby, I'm wth you on the Fatboy. I like the look and the mechanics but never enjoyed the shave. Looks nice on my stand though, I'll keep it. :D
    I had a Parker a few years ago, TTO. I about messed myself when it came, It said "Have a nice day!" on the top. Inexpensive construction and it finally fell apart, shave wasn't that bad. I am going to have to try one of the 3 piece Parker's though, they sure look nice. :cool:

2. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Have a nice day ? :happy102:happy102

Are you serious I never seen that before... wow must be the real early era of Parkers ! Also be aware some quality razors are for different area's of the world . in the ASIA area you can get away with cheaper quality build that is due to the
    ' poor" factor they would not be able to pay for a fatboy for example and shaving is looked upon completely different then here. for USA and Europe the quality is different again. so there are some make and model I wont get in because we dont accept that build according to our standards.

For myself I experienced the same things as Bobby ! :eek: and im glad he did aswell because I was really trying to figure it out how the @#@@ did he nail it. my guess is the weight vs the blade gap is something ive not seen on any other razor yet.

Its been a long while since I shaved with a Fatboy and I usually let it on 9 I never play with the adjustablility.

Yesterday I shaved with the Gillette Aristocrat after a long time use of 89R and it was much harder to get the same BBS result .

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Yep, serious! It was really cheesy, thin construction with that stamped on the butterfly doors. :D Looking forward to better quality! :cool:

4. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

You wont regret Bronco ! or ill shave with M3 for the rest of my life. ;)

5. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

OOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo Noooooooooooo! Not that! :D

6. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

+1

I got so much irritation from the Fatboy. I was disgusted with it because it was just so disappointing. I still have a Schick Krona but other than that, I'm strictly a Merkur man.

7. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

And just how do I buy one of these puppies?

8. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

The cheapest place I've found it at was Best Grooming Tools for $28 shipped.

9. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I'm pretty sure Rene can hook you up with one :D

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Yep, he sure can. I have a different model (91R) 3 piece on the way! :D

11. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

My fault. I didn't know that.

12. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

They make great fountain pens too !

My vintage Parker 51 is THE best writing instrument I've ever owned :D

Please dont make me want this razor.
    I'm still trying to find pennies in the couch for my Slant Sledgehammer ;)

13. I just received an 89R from Rene and will give it a try in the morning. First impression is very positive.

14. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

It's an 89R Movement!:happy108

15. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I picked up my HD once since I got the parker, and I didn't even finish one pass before going back to the 89r. I'm real curious to hear someone else comment on their experience with this razor.

16. After using the Parker 89R this morning I have to concur with Sparky's review. The size and weight are more suitable to my hands than the 38c and the shave was surprisingly good with only two passes. I have to add that I also used a 7am blade for the first time as well. The razor was very gentle and gave a shave compariable to my Slant. I found the quality of the razor just as reviewed. The only thing I don't like is that I feel my fingers are alittle exposed handling the head to remove a blade. For $20 it is a bargain.

17. sparky5693

Administrator
    I felt the exact same way. The little nubs on the underside of the head could stand to be a bit longer, as changing the blade isn't as easy as it should be. Glad to here my experiences with this razor weren't all in my head. :D

18. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I would have to say the same for my new 91R. If the pins were a little longer it might eliminate the sloppyness of the fit. Seems like a tolerence problem.
    Now don't get me wrong, I like this razor and would buy another Parker.
    The finish, weight, shave etc... were fine. Us serious shavers notice these little things. :D My review on the 91R coming soon.

19. sparky5693

Administrator
    That razor is on my soon to be ordered list. I hope it's as good as the 89r, as I think the 91 looks nicer.

20. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

It's comparable to Merkur's 38C. I ordered it because of the knurling, the grip of my hands is not what it used to be, the knurl helps. They've done a nice job with this one too!