SoS: May 18, 2015 - May 24, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, May 17, 2015.

1. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

image.jpg Razor: Dubl Duck Special #1 1947-52 (rescaled)
    Gillette Ball End Tech NDC (declared 1947) Birth Year
    Brush: Vintage Ever-Ready 300L with TGN Silvertip 18/51
    Mug: Old Spice 1985 Cobalt Blue
    Cream: Castle Forbes cedarwood & sandalwood cream
    Blade: Feather (1)
    Post shave: Thayers Cucumber WH, Jack Black Post Shave Gel, Old Spice

Lathered up the Castle with the Silvertip. Started like my last shave going from my sideburn to my jaw line on my right side, and my left side with my left hand. Getting better and a little closer. Working on getting under my upper lip, and I'm getting better. Left side of my neck is a breeze with my left hand but my right side is a challenge. I finished with my Tech, and only needed 1/2 pass. Still working all the angles, but getting better. The videos are helping me get the angles better. Nice cucumber smell with the WH, and then some soothing JB Gel. After cleanup some vintage OS. Y'all have a good one.

gorgo2, Jasman, 782sirbrian and 28 others like this.
  2. spacehobo

spacehobo Well-Known Member

SOTD 05/18/2015

Prep: Hot shower, TSD Sandalwood shave soap
    Razor: Gillette Old Type
    Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Green SS (1)
    Brush: Omega 13109 Pure Badger
    Cream: TBS Maca Root

Wow! Never in my life have I ever gotten this close of a shave! :eek:

I used the TSD Sandalwood soap to soften my whiskers, but not really sure if that did anything either than smelling nice. :)

3 passes (WTG,XTG,ATG) and very little touch up. At 2 passes I was already at a good enough shave.

[​IMG]

gorgo2, Jasman, 782sirbrian and 27 others like this.
  3. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

Face = BBS and neck = DFS

Menthol Monday

Soap: Stirling Glacial Spearmint with 6 drops of M-Bomb added. I could feel the menthol fumes swirling around my eyes but they didn't tear up. The lather was not as thick, either. I've used 4 drops before with the Glacial Wintergreen and didn't have any lathering issues, and honestly at 4 drops of M-Bomb, I'm not sure I can detect a colder effect on my face with 6 drops, as much as I did the effect of the fumes and the lather not being very good. "4 and no more" for me when it comes to using any of the Stirling Glacial line.

Razor: R-89 with SI blade

Cologne: Another spritzing spree of Dolce Gabanna

gorgo2, Jasman, 782sirbrian and 22 others like this.
  4. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

SOTD 5-18-15

PRESHAVE: Face wash with soap and warm/hot water
    RAZOR: Wolfman WR1-DC Polished (dual comb) with Bamboo handle
    BLADE: Astra SP (2)
    SOAP: Mitchell's Wool Fat
    BOWL: VDH
    BRUSH: VDH Boar
    POST: Rinse with warm/hot water to get soap off and then some cold water rinses/splashes and pat try.

Comments: I didnt shave yesterday so I had a two day growth and the shave was awesome! I got a BBS with two passes and some touch up! I only used the OC side of the Wolfman and what an ncredible shave today!
    Soap was very good too as this is only the second time I used MWF today! The lather, protection and feel throughout the shave and the post shave feel was so great that I didn't even use the Alum block as I feel absolutely no irritation at all. Did get one weeper but it disappeared just as fast as it showed up. A great shave today and the Wolfman OC side and the MWF proved to be a great combo! All I can say is WOW, what a razor and soap!!! My hats off to Wolfman and MWF!!!

Please feel free to leave comments on any items used as I enjoy reading them to see what others say about the gear I am using/trying out! Of course, YMMV!

Thx.
    SOTD_051815.jpg
    :)

gorgo2, Jasman, 782sirbrian and 26 others like this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Wow, I don't believe how anything would be able to make a Glacial soap any colder. My Spearmint puck is so intensely-cold that it feels almost painful. I also find that the lather is richer, better, and easier to whip up from the new batches than from the previous ones although my Glacial Lavender puck which is from a last year's batch lathers very easily.

vwp528, Bama Samurai, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Had a rather unusual, for me, shave this morning as I ventured into the world of straight razor shaving.
    See long shave report here.

Razor: Thiers-Issard No. 17
    Razor for clean-up: Gillette Blue Tip
    Brush: L'Occitane Plisson
    Soap: Klar Kabinett
    Pre-Shave: Myrsol Emulsion
    A/S: Anherb ASB

[​IMG]

gorgo2, Jasman, vwp528 and 29 others like this.
  7. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

Stirling Bay Rum
    Parker best badger
    Muhle R41 ('11) Astra superior platinum
    Cold water/alum
    Captains's Choice Lime

Superb way to begin the week!

gorgo2, Jasman, vwp528 and 26 others like this.
  8. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

prep: shower/ Noxema face wash
    razor: 1953 Gillette tech
    brush: Omega s synthetic
    Soap: Dr. Jon's Hydra

great shave to start day. I was quite impressed with the performance of Hydra. the scent got more complex as I face lathered. BBS with almost no irritation.

9. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    SOTD - Menthol Monday, May 18, 2015

Shower
    Prep: Homemade Peppermint PSO
    Brush: Klenzo, TGN Finest
    Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Razor: Merkur 38C
    Blade: Voskhod (1)
    Aftershave: Homemade Snowball Fight splash

10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Brush Focus: Day 18/30
    Brush: WDC-3, Olivewood Silvertip (WD) 24/67 knot deep set.
    Gillette Super Speed, Red Tip (1955- A-3)
    Gillette Platinum Blade (4)
    Bowl: KO Shave
    Soap: The Shave Den, Coconut.
    A/S: The Shave Den, Coconut
    Old Spice Coffee Mug.(soak brush)
    I'm using the same brush with different soaps for a few days. I'm making sure it is the brush and not just the soap. Added a little to much water so the lather wasn't the best today. Human error. I did have a good three pass shave with no clean up. TSD soap is great as is the A/S. Razor and blade are performing good. Two brushes are out of the rotation.

FocusBrush 5 18 15.jpg

Jasman, figment714, vwp528 and 28 others like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

•Pal adjustable injector
    •Aramis soap

2 pass DFS with one nick on the apple, and that's on the lowest setting. I don't like to push for BBS with this razor because even now it cannot be fully trusted, or I can't, but it just isn't worth pressing the issue.

Jasman, figment714, vwp528 and 20 others like this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good layout!!!:happy088::happy088:

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Did you happen to notice how much that Old Spice set went for on eBay? You won't believe it.

vwp528, Bama Samurai, Llyr and 2 others like this.
  14. crackstar

Tuesday's planned shave:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/Derby day 4
    Stirling Frozen Tundra SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Gold Bond Moisturizer :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Osage Rub AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    YSL Pour Homme EdT

Another great, icy-cold shave on tap for tomorrow with a hell of a nice soap. The Frozen Tundra may take a bit of extra work to lather, but once it gets going it's fabulous. I love the scent, the menthol effect is very strong, and it leaves my skin feeling not only cold - also so soothed and comfortable. I intend to keep this soap in my rotation for as long as possible. As far as aftershave moisturizers and balms are concerned, it's hard to beat the Gold Bond, and the Rubby Dubby Doo is an absolute keeper for me at all times. These Derby blades are really, really sharp and smooth as well as quite forgiving. ;) :D

Jasman, figment714, vwp528 and 24 others like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I've never tried a cold shave unless I was in the jungle, or in the woods, and that was because I had no choice. So if I was going to have a cold shave now what would be the best products to start with?

vwp528, Bama Samurai, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

19 May Planned Shave

[​IMG]

Jasman, figment714, vwp528 and 25 others like this.
  17. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Unreal! I have a complete set like that NIB, along with the one I use, and paid $50 for it,with shipping last year. Those bidding wars go crazy. I showed it to my bride so she could see the great deal I made for mine:eatdrink013:

vwp528, Bama Samurai, ram57 and 3 others like this.
  18. crackstar

I really enjoy that Neutrogena Men face wash because it's well-mentholated, and if you leave it on your face for a couple of minutes while you're brushing your teeth, the cooling effect really hits you. After that, heck - any of the Stirling mentholated soaps, Iced Subzero soap, QCS Vostok, etc are terrific choices.

19. michaelAD

michaelAD Well-Known Member

House guests of @Boojum1 are treated to first class shaving accoutrements. Easily the best shave I've ever had.

IMG_1384-1 (1).jpg
    Razor: Ikon Shavecraft 102 Slant w/ UFO Titan Fine XL Handle
    Blade: PolSilver SI (1)
    Brush: Simpson M-6 TSN LE #3/200 Manchurian 22X48 mm
    Soap: MdC

Jasman, figment714, vwp528 and 25 others like this.
  20. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Planned SOTD for May 19th

Semogue 1438 w/LaToja Shave Stick (face lather)
    40's Super Speed w/7 o'clock black (3)
    Osma Alum followed by Nivea Sensitive Balm
    Clubman Classic Vanilla

150519.jpg