SoS: May 25, 2015 - May 31, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, May 24, 2015.

1. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag meine kühle Freund!

Bama Samurai, Llyr, NewellVW and 2 others like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

hubba hubba
    my normal routine is all jumbled up with long holiday weekend, company at home, my wedding anniversary, and now back to work.
    today's shave
    hot water wash with nivea men's
    soc boar
    soap commander endurance
    Gillette red tip(b1)
    persona lab(1)
    old spice red letter
    today's shave was ok. three passes for a smooth comfy shave. finished with os. forgot about tobacco Tuesday, oh well, next time.
    hope y'all did as well, or better.
    20150526_074755.jpg

3. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

Happy birthday! Hope you have terrific day.

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Vielen Dank - das ist so lieb! :)

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Damn, what a freeze I had this morning and what a great shave! That Glacial Spearmint soap sure knows how to put icicles in a man's face. Strangely enough, Rod swears that the menthol amount is still the same but it feels so much colder.

6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Gem Contour razor
    CVS carbon steel blade
    Lord SC
    FS Silver Tip brush
    Osage Rub/Witch Hazel/Sage mix
    Barbasol Brisk A/S

Using a Contour razor is certainly different for me. I can only get a good shave out of it by doing 2 ATG passes with touch up. But the shave is pretty nice and very comfortable. Reckon I'm ready to go.

7. Martin-j

Stirling MITA
    Parker best badger
    Muhle R41 ('11) Personna blue
    Cold water rinse/alum
    Wm. Neumann Absolute Zero

A beautiful morning here in the Northeast and this is a great way to begin the day. There is not much more I can say about this set up except it results in a wonderful shaving experience and great post-shave feel. The Stirling soap(s) never fail to impress me. I will be ordering more in the future. As for Wm. Neumann, the aftershaves splashes and balms are top shelf, no question about it. The soaps are very good, but I don't think they are quite in the same league as Stirling. Just one man's opinion.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

8. Martin-j

Menthol on PEDs?

Bama Samurai, Llyr, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpg

May 26 SOTD:

Homemade PS Oil
    WD High Mountain Badger 30 mm
    La Toja Shave Stick
    EJ Chatsworth Barley
    Astra SS
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Florida Water AS

10. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

LPL (Le Pere Lucien) was the soap of the day. I really like this soap because of the excellent cushioning it provides. 3 passes and DFS

LPL
    Rapira Platinum Lux
    Slim Adjustable

11. brow_tines

brow_tines Well-Known Member

Palmolive shaving cream lathered in a mug, Merkur 37C with a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow blade, a splash of witch hazel and then a splash of Gillette cool wave aftershave.

I feel like a million bucks.

12. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

5/26/2015 Tobacco Tuesday!

Prep: Hot shower with Neutrogena Face Wash with menthol, home made PSO
    Razor: Cobra Classic, Friodur Inox straight razor
    Blade: Feather Professional (1)
    Brush: Vie Long Horse Hair
    Soap: L'Occitanne - Cade
    After: Home made ASB, Aqua Velva Ice Blue after shave
    Cologne: Extreme Polo Sport

It is Tobacco Tuesday and the Cade was just the ticket. The Horse Hair brush whipped up the Cade into a rich and thick lather. The lather scent was amazing this morning as it filled my shave den. The Cobra and the Friodur went through the 2 days of stubble with ease. The AV brought some chill and the Polo will have me smelling good for the rest of the day. All in all it was a Darn Fine Shave +.

Have a blessed day!

IMG_20150526_083006.jpg

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

TUESDAY
    Menthol Tuesday!

Chilly start& Finish to another great Friodur shave!
    Have a blessed Tuesday, everyone!

[​IMG]

14. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Jeff-Have a GREAT Birthday!!!!!!!

Tuesday

Prep: Hot Shower-Stirling Bath Soap-Scots Pine Sheep
    Soap: Chiseled Face-Ghost Town Barber
    Razor: Gillette Fatboy
    Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
    Brush: Whipped Dog Silvertip-24mmx48mm
    Aftershave: Chiseled Face-Ghost Town Barber

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

CF Ghost Town Barber today. 20 seconds to load the WD Silvertip. Great, easy, thick, lather. I loaded a new Rapira Platinum Lux in the Fatboy (3rd FB test blade). Great smooth, close, shave. I finished with Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber.

Bob

[​IMG]

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

05/26/2015
    Razor – Mongoose B2 with Jürgen Hempel Ti
    Blade – Feather Super Pro (11)
    Brush – Shavemac Silvertip D01
    Lather – Mystic Water Lavender
    Post - Witch Hazel and Myrsol Agua Balsamica Sample

[​IMG]

Back to the Mongoose after the holiday weekend break. Fantastic near BBS 2 pass shave. Slowly but surly getting the Mystic Water soap dialed in. Much better lather this morning. This soap is incredibly slick and the post shave feel is fantastic. Finished the shave with a splash of Myrsol Balsamica. Not sure about the scent on this one but the feel of the AS is great.

16. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Clint, glad to hear you are enjoying such a fantastic soap! :happy088:

17. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

26 May 2015

* Weber DLC + UFO Colibri SS
    * Super Iridium
    * Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band + Doug Korn Cobalt Blue C7
    * Mystic Water Sardinian Honey
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You're one of the reasons I decided to give it a try. Thanks for the tip. :happy088:

19. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    pre: Palmer's oil
    soap: Route 66 Bay Rum
    razor: Maggard OC on MR6 handle
    blade: treet Platinum (1)

I had been eyeballing a Maggard MR6 for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger. I couldn't resist adding their open comb head. Today was my second shave with this setup.

The Maggard OC is a good razor head. It uses the standard Maggard top cap. I held the base plate up to a (non-Gillette) generic copy of an Old. The silhouettes are identical. If I can bring myself to take pictures, I'll post them in @Bobcat 's thread over >here<

My first shave with the Maggard OC was quite good. The head is mighty fine, but, rather like its inspiration, the Gillette Old, I found it a bit on the mild side. I was able to chase the baby down, but just. Though always first to reappear, my trouble spots came back a bit earlier in the day than usual. Because it is pretty mild, I narrowly avoided the temptation to apply pressure. No burn with the BBS, but a little bit of that tightness that is really a pre-burn.

For today's second shave with the M-OC I added two shims. This helped a bit and I almost made it with two passes and touchups. However, the hollow under my left jawbone was not what I wanted. Rather than working that spot again with the M-OC, I grabbed a Schick J1 and dispatched that tiny remnant of micro-stubble like nobody's business.

My final verdict on Maggard's open comb head is "not for me." It is a very good head and delivers a nice, MILD shave. However, if you like a mild razor, you can't go wrong with Maggard's open comb.

NOTE: I much preferred the standard Maggard head that came with the MR6: it easily performed on par with the EJ. The regular Maggard head was possibly a skosh more aggressive than EJ's, but I would need more testing before casting my ballot. However, further testing won't change my mind on its general grouping, which is a medium agressiveness very suitable for both beginners and veterans. The MR6 handle is FANTASTIC!

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    SOTD: Tuesday, May 26
    Soap: Mike's Bay Rum
    Brush: Simpson 2 "Chubby" 2 Band Silvertip
    Razor: Feather AS-D2
    Blade: Polsilver SI (4)
    Aftershave: Dominica Bay Rum
    [​IMG]

Have great day!