Well........ crap!

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Bill, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

I have been toying with the idea of learning how to engrave for several years. I finally made the personal commitment to do just that. I'll use what I learn about engraving on my knives and straight razors. This was not a cheap decision, to say the least.

The stereoscope ran about $600 and the engraving basic tools came to $2,300. I know I'll need at least another grand for incidentals. I let you know if I wind up throwing this stuff out the window due to lack of talent. The toys should be here in the next week or two.

In the meantime, I'm having my buddy, Jim, engrave a set of scales that I will be creating some duplicate castings of. That could be a hoot as well. It will be similar to buying one of the ornate-scaled vintage razors you see all the time. Since they will be made from molds, the cost for some dynamite engraving work will be much more affordable for my customers.

With so many new guys on the restoration wagon, I guess I better sit up and pay attention or get left behind, don't ya know.

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well Bill, you know, personally I don't know why I should get my razors engraved. If I don't like it the engraving of my name, initials or whatever rapidly decreases the value of the razor when I sell it again.

But, hey, it's great to have that option for those guys who like a personal touch to their tools :)

3. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Very cool, Bill. I'm looking forward to seeing and (hopefully) buying some of your work. :1respect

Jordan

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Cant wait to see the setup......

5. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

You are correct. Personal initials decrease the value of a razor and those will be discouraged, but not refused. I was, however, talking about this and this kind of engraving.

6. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Ohhhh.........

Some engraving like that on the spine of razors.......HUZZUH

7. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Very Nice Bill ! good luck with the new Skills. dont worry about falling behind you are in your own League an Artist that is still growing by the weeks I see that. I will just wait till you perfected the engraving I know you can do it, seen your Garden you have it in you !

cant wait to see the Tools come in.

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

now that's something different, Bill, this'll actually increase the value :rofl :D

9. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Oh, stupid me thought that was done by freehand :angry032 Still amazing!

I'm looking forward to see your engravings! I doubt they will be any short of perfect, you have "the touch"!

10. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Love that type of scroll work. I really look forward to see what you do with your new toys, Bill.

11. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

I did NOT expect this thread to be about engraving...

Nice Pics.

Good Luck with it.

12. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I have this fear that by the time I can actually afford a custom straight razor, everyone will have retired by then. :( It's good to see you're constantly seeking to improve, Bill. You've given me hope that I have nothing to worry about. :D

13. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Bill, you've proven again that we never stop learning or wanting to learn.
    Nice! :D

14. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Oh... but all engraving is done freehand and with miniature chisels that cut into the steel. Before it's heat treated, of course.

15. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I'm not that stupid after all then ;)

16. bg42

bg42 New Member

nice going Bill I wanted to do the same ,bought some tools and had about three goes and decided I`m crap at it so I thought I may try carving for the knife handles ,after about a year of going to lessons I rudely disscovered that I`m crap at that as well, so good luck mate
    Kind regards Peter

17. What's the status of your engraving project ?