Fountain Pen Collectors?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Brian_Powers, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Brian_Powers

Brian_Powers Well-Known Member

I got my fountain pen fire reignited recently so I got my box of the really small collection that I do have and cleaned them up today. I also ordered two new fountain pens, some different notebooks, and a few other accessories. I tell you, if it's not one hobby with me, it's another!!

Tdmsu, Avalon, richgem and 5 others like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Brian, can you post some photos of your fountain pens? I'd like to see them. :D

gorgo2 and Brian_Powers like this.
  3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Not a collector but I do like using them. I've got a Lamy 2000 and a Pilot Custom Heritage 92, plus a few other cheap ones that I still use now and then. I just like using a fountain pen more than a ball point. They're more comfortable for me. I second the call for pics!

gorgo2, Brian_Powers and wristwatchb like this.
  4. Brian_Powers

[​IMG]

Here's all I have so far. The Parker doesn't hold ink very well at all but maybe I am loading it incorrectly. I'll have to do some research on that one. @feeltheburn, I love my Lamy, though!

BamaT, gorgo2 and wristwatchb like this.
  5. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I just started looking at them I have a parker 45 I have a line on a peter pan fountain pen from the sale Brothers...any advice?

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. Brian_Powers

I wish I had some, my friend; I am really new to the hobby as well and have just started actually researching the aspects of it. I'll pass along anything noteworthy (pun intended) as I find it out!

gorgo2, 45auto and Sara-s like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Got a Parker 51 in my pocket as I type.

gorgo2 and Brian_Powers like this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I love fountain pens. I have some that I write with & others (older ones) that are collectibles, though most of those are in working order.

Brian_Powers and gorgo2 like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Parker 21 fan here (cheaper version of the 51 but for me it writes better). I have a red and green pen and the blue set. A black 51 sits in a drawer, neglected.

Brian_Powers likes this.
  10. Brian_Powers

I love the vintage Parkers. I'd love to find me a really nice 51 that holds ink.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's what's wrong with my 51. I hear they can be renovated with new seals and such. My green 21 has developed an occasional minor leak but for now I live with it.

12. Brian_Powers

So far, I've found that my favorite is my Esterbrook. I love the extra fine line and it seems to hold ink forever. I use it for the majority of what I write and I love the screw lid; it's very portable and worry-free with that cap.

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I love the look of the Esterbooks...I have the iridescent looking red and blue ones, but the sacs are shot and I haven't tried replacing them.

Brian_Powers likes this.
  14. Brian_Powers

Luckily, I got my Esterbrook and a bunch of inks in a trade for some sharing gear and the pen came to me in perfect working condition. Now, I have almost two full bottles of Private Reserve Sepia that will last me four lifetimes.

15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I'm not a collector, and have only one at the moment but want to add at least a couple others for different ink colors. My one and only at the moment is a Lamy Safari fine nib, and I really enjoy it. I'm currently using a Pilot medium blue ink that I love.

I won't be spending a lot of money on them any time soon, so with that in mind, here's what I'm looking at to order in the next few days:
    http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Metropolitan-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Nib-Taupe-Lizard-Body/pd/12079

For another ink color, I'm thinking of this brown:
    http://www.jetpens.com/J.-Herbin-Fo...acao-du-Bresil-Brazilian-Cocoa-Brown/pd/12171

It's described as being gray-brown, which sounds like just the shade of brown I want.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Brian_Powers likes this.
  16. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I'm a huge fountain pen collector. Here is my Esterbrook family IMG_0348.JPG

17. Brian_Powers

I was just browsing a fountain pen forum that I'm a part of and saw this same picture. I think it's safe to say we belong to the same forums! I love your Estie collection. So far, I've only got one Esterbrook but it's my go to writer. It's my main note-taking pen for my classes.

18. Brian_Powers

[​IMG]

My newest additions (from Goulet Pens) just arrived today. L-R:

Kaweco Skyline Sport Medium nib (nice little traveler to go with my pocket notebook)

Lamy Safari charcoal fitted with an extra fine

Faber- Castell Loom in Piano Lime with a fine nib.

I also got a whole slew of goodies (pocket notebooks, Midori traveller, inks, etc). Very happy with this order and I will probably exclusively order from Goulet from now on.

BamaT and wristwatchb like this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I just got my Parker Sonnet Broad nib back from a Dutch pen doctor, and I couldn't be happier! From a temperamental nib it has become a great and smooth writer. I don't know exactly what magic he performed, but he made the nib exactly like I requested :)

For the record, I have three Sonnets; two with a fine nib, and one with a broad nib. All three are excellent writers now :)

20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Here's the Broad nibbed one: (just realise it is filled with diluted Quink, since I ran out of ink a few days ago :) )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015