Who else cuts their own hair?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by DaveTheWave81, Jul 18, 2015.

1. DaveTheWave81

DaveTheWave81 Member

I was getting tired of getting a good cut one day and a rushed and sloppy cut the next. I keep my hair short and it's a pretty simple cut. I bought a good set Wahl clippers and a neck guard and have two cuts behind me with no mistakes.

Something I recommend if you keep your hair short and want a good cut every time.

Anyone else? Any recommendations?

2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I cut my own almost every day. See my avatar?

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I do as well in the same manner.

I do think the OP may be speaking of those who do not chrome the dome!

@gorgo2 I seem to remember you having some discussions on this subject if I remember correctly.

gorgo2 and DaveTheWave81 like this.
  4. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

About 20 years ago I started loosing my hair so I got a set of wahl clippers for the price of a salon haircut and started shaving once a month. The #2 guard works for me. Then clean up my neck with a razor and call it good.

DaveTheWave81 likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Indeed, the good old Playtex adjustable hair trimmer. I use that about every 3 weeks or so, then once a year during summer the Wife uses the Wahl trimmer with (I think) the 3/4" attachment to even out what the Playtex may have missed (which isn't much once you get the hang of it).

Last month I paid for my first haircut in three years, just to get it all evened out, but I could have survived fine without it.

I have two of the Playtex and will be placing the spare in the Travel Box this time around, with a new blade or two. They show up on Ebay and at antiques shops fairly regularly; if interested, try to get a cased one as it will usually have at least one sealed blade with it. A post-cutting alcohol dunk keeps the blade in fine shape.

6. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My live-in barber of 30+ years does a good job. I get it cut every 4-5 weeks or so...

Hodge and DaveTheWave81 like this.
  8. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I cut my own. Usually a #2 guard for the entire head, some other times I keep a little extra on top, but the transition I find is really hard to do, especially in the back where I can't see. I ask the wife to help with the tough spots, and for the neck shave!

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I do my own hair, typically every Sunday. 1/2 guard all over, then fade I the edges with an adjustable Wahl. I have paid for exactly one haircut since 2003. I am a huge fan of hair tonic on the scalp, faves are Clubman, Vitalis, Osage Rub and Jeris.

Rufus T. and DaveTheWave81 like this.
  10. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I don't think I've had a barber cut my hair in at least 5 years and rarely went to the barber for probably 10 years before that.. I got sort of fed up with never getting quite the cut I wanted so I got a set of clippers and figured out how to do it myself. Didn't really do it to save money but it does. Unless I spend that $20 or $30 a month I save on shaving stuff. Which is probably what happens. :)

11. DaveTheWave81

DaveTheWave81 Member

I use Lucky Tiger hair tonic. Smells and feels like going to a barber shop 30 years ago.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. DaveTheWave81

DaveTheWave81 Member

I found a reusable neck hair guide on Amazon that works great until I find my 4th wife which ain't going to happen soon.

Metro and Bristle Me like this.
  13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Clearly not me :innocent

upload_2015-7-18_19-9-20.jpeg

Dzia Dzia, Rufus T., BamaT and 2 others like this.
  14. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

That hair trimmer is pretty interesting! My step dad uses something similar but it is not adjustable and made of plastic. Does yours take DE blades?

15. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm not cutting my own any more. SWMBO convinced me to grow it out. When I did my own, it was mowed every 10-14 days...no guard.

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No, it takes a proprietary blade that resembles a carpet blade, so it's half again as long as a DE, but if memory serves modern carpet blades are too thick and won't fit. But the originals are fairly easy to come by...plus they're carbon so with judicious honing and care they're easily maintained (plus mine have held a serviceable edge for well over a year at a time).

DaveTheWave81 and Weeper Warrior like this.
  17. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

It must be a Durham Duplex blade. What it sounds like,anyway. I will have to search one of these out for him a Christmas gift. Thanks, bud.

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Since I bought a good Oster trimmer in 1997, I haven't paid for a haircut. (Full disclosure: I am somewhat "folicularly" challenged)
    :signs011:

DaveTheWave81 and Rufus T. like this.
  19. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

I tried many times to just do a #2 on my head but not only do I miss spots, my neck line is messed up and I can't see back there to get it straight. I also like the tapered Marine Corps style high and tight on the sides and have finally found a barber that can do it. Unless something happens bad financially, the days of cutting my own hair are over. Not only do I like the cut better, it's nice to have the neck and around the ears shaved, not to mention leaving the place smelling like Clubman. I'm hooked.

DaveTheWave81 and mikewood like this.
  20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I cut my own with a number 2 guard and my wife shaves my neck. I've been doing this for years and do it about every two weeks.