The many sizes of Simpson's "The Wee Scot"

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 6, 2015.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've been doing quite a bit of research on the Simpson's "Wee Scot" brush, and having recently won a Wee Scot "Nano" in an eBay auction, I figured I would post the infomation here.

What many people don't know is that there are actually three different brushes that claim the title "Wee Scot." All are distinguished by different handle shapes.

The "Wee Scot 1," the smallest of the three, is no longer made, and is a very rare brush to find in the wild, I've seen exactly two posted on the English speaking forums. It was the creation of this brush that would elevate a journeyman brush maker to a master, able to make any Simpson's brush without supervision. It was this brush that Alex Simpson considered the jewel of the brush maker's art. Extraordinarily difficult to make, it was the brush he took the most pride in.

Here is a picture of a Wee Scot 1 next to a modern Wee Scot.
    [​IMG]
    (photo originally posted by drP on B&B)

The "Wee Scot 2" is the modern brush, sold as "The Wee Scot" and is a favorite of travellers and face latherers. It's the brush on the left in the above photo. It's actually about a half inch taller than the coveted "Nano" Scot, which was the original Wee Scot 2.
    [​IMG]
    (Mark1966's NOS "Nano" Wee Scot)

[​IMG]
    (Intrigued's photo of a Wee Scot and a Wee Scot Nano, from B&B)

This version, with a butterscotch handle, is a highly sought after brush, and I've seen about fifteen to twenty on the forums. Most who desire it, actually think it's a Wee Scot 1, but it's not. It's just an earlier, smaller version of the Wee Scot 2. The Wee Scot has grown larger over the years. :)

The Wee Scot 3 is a current production brush. Most people are familiar with it. It's Simpson's popular "Case" model.
    [​IMG]
    (Elbe's Case and Wee Scot brush, from B&B)

The Case (travel brush) was never marketed as a Wee Scot, but internally, within the company it was always called the Wee Scot 3. The case it is named after is purchased separately from the brush.

Knot diameters. (Approximate size, due to the hand made nature of the brushes)

Wee Scot 1: 10-11mm
    Wee Scot 2 (Nano): 12-13mm
    Wee Scot 2: 14mm
    Wee Scot 3 (Case): 19mm

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  2. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Interesting article, I had no idea.
    I have considered the wee Scot in the past, but always assumed it would be too small for my hands. But it is an intriguing little brush, and I am still tempted.

RaZorBurn123 and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Very interesting, thanks for the post

RaZorBurn123 and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Having purchased my first Wee Scot (indeed, my first Simpson's brush) less than a day ago, I'm curious as well. My glove size is XL, so it's not like I have anything approaching small hands either.
    As you can see from the picture, my new brush is very small. (Measurement is in inches).[​IMG]
    Drat. Now I almost have to purchase a modern Wee Scot, just to compare them. :( (as if I needed any excuses to justify shave related purchases). :p

5. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I think you should get the newer one. Do it for science :)

6. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Are you at all concerned about size? Does size matter, or is it just all in how you use the instrument?
    :yoda:yoda:yoda

7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Another great Brush article Ryan. Thanks for the interesting research. :happy088:

PLANofMAN and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Wonderful lather-maker! It is a nice little brush that I often neglect.
    Probably why I'll be selling mine off this month.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You should sell it next month. I'll have more money next month. :) I have to pay for that Blackland Blackbird razor at the end of this month.
    Yeah. I'm a bit concerned about the size. It's why I haven't purchased a Wee Scot before now. To be honest, I wouldn't have purchased this one, but the seller didn't list it as a Wee Scot, or even a Simpson's brush. I figured it was my best chance to get a Nano Scot for under $200, and I jumped on it.

If nothing else, it's one of those rare brushes that will make me grin every time I look at it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Thanks for the research and the write-up, Ryan! Interesting read!

So now you hope to get the price up, don't ya? :p

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Super information! I have the Omega Midget, which is very little. I've only used it a couple of times because it's not practical.
    image.jpg

3 oz
    Height
    73mm

Loft
    43mm

Base
    30mm

Knot
    20mm

PLANofMAN and macaronus like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    There's also the Vie-Long Pony (50% mane and 50% tail hair)
    [​IMG]

Mühle or Plisson has a miniature brush that is made with goat hair. If not made by those companies, some German company makes it. At 1.6" (4.2 cm) tall, it's probably the smallest shaving brush made.
    [​IMG]

There are also tiny vintage badger hair Plisson brushes. Those fetch a pretty penny on eBay.
    This one sold for $73.05 recently.
    [​IMG]

Though not as much as vintage Kent miniature brushes. This one sold for almost double that!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    macaronus likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I found some pictures of a NOS Wee Scot 1, posted by Melyus. Enjoy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of the Wee Scot 1's I have seen have had ivory handles. As old as they are, if the handles were made of Caitlin, they would have turned butterscotch by now, UV exposure or no UV exposure.

Dragon, macaronus and jeraldgordon like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This is my Wee Mexican that I made from a Cholula Hot Sauce lid.
    jayaruh_ch2c.jpg
    [​IMG]

16. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

What size knot is that? It appears to be a "best" badger to me. I am sure it is a great travel brush.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Despite everything I've read, I figured the Wee "Nano" Scot would be more a novelty than anything useable, especially considering it's age.

I was pleasantly surprised that it performed way beyond my expectations. Since many of you have picked up Sterling's new shave brush, I figured a comparison shot was in order. :)

[​IMG]

18. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Sweet!

Looks like father and son! :)

Daddyyyyyyyyy....? Can I shave tomorrow....?

Douglas Carey and jeraldgordon like this.
  19. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

What a great article. All your hard work in research is really appreciated, Now, I know that I own a Wee Scot 2. I have seen the Wee Scots on the bay from time to time, but did not know the difference. I my allow my SAD to pursue one of the others now(as if I can control it). Thanks again for your effort to enlighten those of us whom "aren't". I use mine frequently as it really is a very good lather maker!

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great stuff

Douglas Carey likes this.