Need help with a list please

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Salty Belle, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

I'm trying to compile a list of reasons "Why to use a quality shaving soap?" (not canned stuff or creams, but soap). I've got a few, by of course searching this forum and online, but thought it might be easier to gather them in one thread. All contributions welcome! And TIA!

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

True hydration instead of chemical substitution.

Salty Belle and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Applying a quality soap/cream with a brush helps lift the beard and exfoliate your skin.

4. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

Propellers used in canned goo are usually a type of hydrocarbon such as propane. Hydrocarbons are not healthy for the skin, your health, or the atmosphere. Hydrocarbon dry the skin out during evaporation and some are linked to cancer.

5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

• Most use very little packaging that's almost always recyclable (cardboard/paper).
    • Great for travel - no chance of leaking, don't have to put it in a baggie for TSA inspection, and a shave stick takes up very little room. A bowl of soap takes up more room but probably no more than a can of goo.

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

it's much classier

Salty Belle, Omelmad and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Cream, croap or soap = better hydration and slick. raises the whiskers much better than can goop, lasts longer.

Salty Belle likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    #1 reason.

Smells better!

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Support an local entrepreneur and not a multinational money siphon.

Salty Belle, Omelmad and Rufus T. like this.
  10. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

For the same reasons that you seek other things in your life - to appreciate the quality of life. Yes there is the need vs. want aspect, but if one appreciates joy from simple things, it brings a quality of life to you that goes beyond just getting by.

Yes it is just a shave. But taking the everyday elements of life and taking it to a place of enjoyment rather than as something to get through, allows one to appreciate life more.

Just my two cents.
    Good luck to you Salty!
    :)

11. troy_gies

troy_gies Active Member

It's all in the ritual. There is something about selecting the combination of product and equipment; and then preparation; and finally the execution. It is all very deliberate, yet relaxing. It quickly became my favorite way to start the day.

12. Salty Belle

These are all such good points guys! My list of the benefits of wet shaving with a good shaving soap is starting to look great. Appreciate the input from the true believers. Thank bunches!

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

It's a great way to save you money.

:lyrtuy5::rofl::happy097:

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

but seriously, it's a great way to spend you're money

Salty Belle likes this.
  15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

this says it all for me.

Salty Belle and troy_gies like this.
  16. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Another plus through all the ritualistic relaxing enjoyment is you treat your skin noticeably better.

Salty Belle likes this.
  17. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Natural ingredients. More enjoyable shave. Less bumps. Way better scents. Slicker then canned goo.

Salty Belle likes this.
  18. Salty Belle

So many of the shaving blogs I've read say this ha!

19. Salty Belle

Interesting how many of you love the ritual. Besides all the skin benefits, that's a really good point. Being a girl I've never experienced it, but I have sweet nostalgic memories of watching my dad go through the ritual. As a young girl I just couldn't understand why I too couldn't have fun whipping up lather in a bowl and slathering it on my face.

Omelmad, troy_gies and GDCarrington like this.
  20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is a very relaxing activity!

Salty Belle likes this.