The Schick Paul Revere

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Received a beautiful Schick Paul Revere razor today.

I don't know too much about the razor apart from that;
    - made within the 1971-1976 timeframe,
    - made by International Silver,
    - 'technically' an L-type Schick (L5), and
    - it's a fairly light razor - something you wouldn't think by looking at it - as the 'tableware handle' is hollow. Metal exterior and plastic interior (the joint assembly between the head and handle is actually silver plated plastic.

If you would saw through the handle, it would look something like this:
    [​IMG]
    Photocredit to SMF

It's also supposedly a rather mild razor but that the angle really drives how mild or aggressive this razor can be.

I did end up paying about $35 for mine, which, I feel is a bit on the high end of what it should go for w/out the box. But...this one was in really nice condition and you don't see them come up for sale too often.

Mine has an M47 code on the head but I believe the Schick codes are not really useful for determining when a particular razor was made.

Haven't tried it out yet as it just arrived. Haven't even cleaned it yet - but here are some pics and a short video of the big beauty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And....a lil video:

Video Link

2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Looks good. Now take a shower with Stirling's Ben Franklin, lather up some Razorock Boston Tea Party soap, finish off with some Fine American blend and we'll all salute you.

3. Bah, we'll salute you anyway just for passionately trying to track down every razor you don't yet have. :)

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I did a month with that model. Mine belonged to my Dad. They are from 1971-1976 and were a marketing promo. It's an easy and intuitive shave. You'll like it, it's milder than a J but still efficient.

5. Bama Samurai

First guy to use actual moonshine as an AS splash wins. And is likely a patriotic southerner.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have the Schick Trac II model, also made by International Silver. It's a nice razor.

A few years ago, the Trac II version was selling for about $25, and the Injector version was going for about $50 in decent shape.

I'm not sure what has caused the downward trend in injector prices lately...perhaps the Mongoose is causing people to sell off their injectors?

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I saw one on the Bay recently. Nice looking razors. Your razor looks great!

clint64 likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have both the Schick PR and the Trac II and both are nice shavers.

The Mongoose will cause a lot of users, due to expenses, to try to recoup some money selling off their injectors as well, but that will be a very small blip.
    I think the fact that the cost and the fact that injector blades are not as easy to find as DE in brick and mortar stores may also have some effect, but how much is not certain.

Chuck F and gorgo2 like this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very nice.

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Interesting!

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Beautiful... znice_razor.png

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks, planning to use it already this coming week...as it's so shiny.

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

The brittish are coming, the brittish are coming!!

Delta Echo Razors and Darkbulb like this.
  14. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Mmmmm.....Might be something in that....I hope they sell more Mongooses then....:chores016:

Billy

Darkbulb likes this.
  15. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Ive never had one, but always wanted one, I have a few nice bits in my collection, Very sought after razor congrats on getting hold of one.

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Mongooses? Mongeese? Hmmm

Billyfergie likes this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Actually, I believe both forms are correct.

Billyfergie and cmorris357 like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

A Flock of Mongeese

Billyfergie, Darkbulb and cmorris357 like this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Had my first shave with the Schick Paul Revere this morning.

Loaded it up with a Shick blade and took it for a spin on top of some Klar Kabinnet.

It's a mild razor but also very efficient. Two passes later I was very clean shaven - not even in need of any touch-up passes.
    The handle is certainly on the big side of things but after having used the Mongoose and a number of other larger handles it didn't really bother me.
    It's more lightweight that what you maybe expect from just seeing it and didn't quite have the same solid/'quality' feel as say a modern stainless steel razor but that's obviously a rather unfair comparison. I'd say as a razor it did a great job and I truly do love how it looks. This might be a keeper.

[​IMG]

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Never would have guessed it's partly plastic.