With the grain (WTG) only...your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Rusty blade, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I used to only do 2 passes WTG and stop there even if I wasn't happy. Nowadays I do one WTG and one XTG. I try to go XTG the other direction but that is a little difficult.

I might try a combo of 2 WTG and 1 XTG. If I go ATG I get bumps within a few hours

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I've always been a daily ATG shaver, 1 or 2 passes for my BBS. When trying WTG or XTG it's never a great shave .

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've been mixing it up lately with one pass WTG, and two XTG with my final XTG modified on my neck.
    \ <~~ I use that angle on my neck for a close smooth shave.

4. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

I've been known to go 1 pass WTG when I'm pressed for time or if my face is irritated/broken out. I generally get a socially acceptable when I do it. I usually do WTG, XTG or WTG, XTG, ATG when I can though because I like to get close as possible.

5. Tallships

\ <-- Ahh yes the Gillette slide, it does work great especially around the neck. Not sure if it was used before or after the invention of the Slant razor

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    From your original post, it is fairly clear that you are happy with your WTG shaves. If you're not, you'll need to work on the XTG technique, which I would recommend before jumping headfirst into an ATG. Keep the shave area protected. Keep the angle; map the grain of your hair growth. But, only do these things if you truly believe you need to improve upon your shaves.

Hodge likes this.
  7. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Yes, I have been pleased with my recent shift to a 2 pass WTG shave. I was just curious to see if others have tried this approach. The 2 pass WTG is a bit of a departure from the more common 3 pass shaving experience that seems to be the norm on the forums. This post has made me realize there are many different approaches...as many as there are shavers at least.

Spud likes this.
  8. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Ditto.....YMMV

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm going upward so it may be called the Gillette climb? :)

Bama Samurai and wmbjr like this.
  10. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

It may be my technique, or daily DE shaving actually strengthening my beard growth, but where 3 passes used to be ok - using EJ DE89KN14 or Gillette '53/54 Rocket HD, WTG, 2x XTG in opposite directions - lately while the appearance of a 3 pass shave's ok I don't feel I achieve a satisfactory BBS without 5 passes, including ATG (except on the neck, where it's 2 more XTG). Time consuming but usually no nicks and no irritation to speak of.

Regards,
    Chris

11. Tallships

Probably is your technique, need of consistent proper angle. Also make sure you use proper prep getting a well hydrated beard. The EJ DE89 is a good razor and so is the Rocket but both considered on the mild side. For me it's 3 passes plus touchup ATG. I would consider a Sample Pack of Blades or a razor that is more aggressive, Possibly a Gillette Adjustable.
    Personally I shave ATG 1-2 passes + touchup for BBS with one of my Gillette Adjustables or Weber PH with Personna Israeli Reds or Astra SP.
    Denis

12. chrisbd

Thanks for the advice, I thought that might be the case. I'll have to work on technique, also the beard prep. What do you use, by the way?

Got a couple of recently acquired English Gillette Techs to add to the rotation but I think they're pretty mild too.

I'm currently working through a blade sample pack and on the lookout for a Gillette Fatboy adjustable but they're almost exclusively on Ebay and most go for silly money. I'll keep looking and trawling the flea markets and antique shops here in the UK, maybe one day.....

Regards,
    Chris

13. Tallships

For prep I just use hot water, lather with Cella Croap or Van der Hagan soap, brush teeth comb balding hair, give lather a once over, then shave. Keep it simple.

chrisbd likes this.
  14. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

I always go up or ATG while shaving, my hair is not real course and i like to feel nothing when i am done no matter what direction I move my hand over my face but i have found that some of the blades that are generally liked here are not the best for aggressively shaving ATG. Smooth blades beat sharp every time the way i do it.

Tallships and chrisbd like this.
  15. chrisbd

Thanks, gents, useful advice. I'll have to take longer with the prep and keep experimenting with blades & technique to find what works best for me. Early days yet but coincidentally already got some Cella croap on order.

Meanwhile, still hoping to uncover that bargain Fatboy tucked away somewhere.

Regards,
    Chris

Tallships likes this.
  16. Tallships

Not only look for the Fatboy but the Slim, Toggle and Black Beauty are also fantastic Adjustables.

17. chrisbd

Thanks but the Fatboy's a personal thing, my Dad gave me one years ago. I wish I'd taken it when I left home but it's long gone now. I'm also watching some Slims on fleabay but wasn't sure about the Black Beauty. The Toggles are ruinously expensive but you never know...plus of course there's always the Schick Krona, although prices are starting to catch up with their reputation.

Regards,
    Chris

18. Tallships

Can't really underestimate the BB, Shaved with one for 25-30 years, although a great razor I'd make the plastic head a last pick due to least value and not repairable, the handle of the BB is a bit thinner than the Slim, but then again all or any of the Gillette adjustables are an easy choice

19. chrisbd

Thanks for the advice, I'll bear that in mind. Wish vintage Gillettes were as readily available in the UK for sensible money as they seem to be in the US.

Regards,
    Chris

20. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Generally two passes WTG works perfectly well for me. Any more passes or different directions usually results in irritation which to me isnt worth the slightly closer shave.

For a time when just starting out, I did a one pass WTG. I found I would concentrate on getting a better shave.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015