Cartridge razor appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Darkbulb, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the Sensitive blades. What do you like better about them? When you say "original Mach3 blades," do you include M3 Turbo blades in that classification, or just the first generation blades in the black cartridge?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  2. MicBaldy

MicBaldy Member

I just find them a little smoother and less irritating than the 1st gen mach3 blades I was using.

I'm not including the turbos in the comparison, because it's been a long while since I used them and don't want to make any comparison judgement on them until I try them again.

It just so happened that I got a great deal online for 10 sensitive carts for $11 shipped (won an auction on eBay) and couldn't pass it up.

3. MicBaldy

MicBaldy Member

Thank you. I like a good slick lather and for me Arko is the best. Plus it appeals to my frugal tendencies. :)

I also prefer face lathering to bowl lathering.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Today: Gillette Atra/vector loaded with Chinese vector cartridge
    Gillette synthetic brush
    Axe denim (spicey scent) shaving cream
    Brut AS (original)

I've to say, the more I switch between Proglide, Mach-III, Trac-II, Atra and Sensor, the more I like Atra :) .

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. Jerry-built Hustler

I find the Atra to have the best glide of all the Gillette carts.

engrsaks likes this.
  6. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

I can't understand, why atra performs better than trac-II? Yes, there is pivoting feature which compensates for somewhat poor maneuvering of the razor head by the person, but that can't be the only reason, could it?

7. Jerry-built Hustler

While it's commonly said the Atra is just a Trac II with a pivot, that's not really true. The cartridges are similar, but the Atra is a more streamlined design than the Trac II, with less overall surface area, and less area that contacts the face. Hence, less drag and better glide.

PatrickA51 and engrsaks like this.
  8. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I just used my Schick Super II which is in fact a Wilkinson Sword Profile Fixed in disguise with a Gillette PII blade to tidy up after my Schick Injector shave...

9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

So not very recently then?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2015
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I must say it's interesting - and fun - to see some cartridge users flexing their multi-blade-muscles and talk about a type of razor that is often not too much discussed on wetshaving forums.
    I often feel that cartridge razors are looked down upon a bit (and sometimes for good reasons when it comes to the cost for a cartridge and over-engineered un necessary features) - but my own experiences with more vintage cartridge razors have been very positive. Next week I'm thinking about trying out another Grange-designed razor :)

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

As a head shaver I was having a really bad time with DE razors, I must have tried 10 different ones that I have and still was having issues. I was seriously thinking about buying a vintage Trac ll or one of that nature. Lucky I tried my Schick I1 and have had great success. I would still not count out buying a vintage cartridge razor, I think they have a place in my den.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here ya go, Kerry! Take a walk on the wild side!

13. RaZorBurn123

I'm not sure if my life insurance policy covers that....

14. Jerry-built Hustler

No kidding. My voice got higher just watching that.

While I admire his moxie, his severe razor rash (visible at 2:18) makes me wonder if the approach suits him. I also run the risk of breakouts in that area if I shave my head, so I stick to clippers and a light stubble.

PatrickA51, engrsaks and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

Help needed! I'm thinking about buying this handle its $13 with free shipping. Good deal?
    image.jpg

16. Jerry-built Hustler

Haven't used it, but there are no vents on the back of the head, so it might make rinsing a bit of a chore. I don't know if the price is a good deal, per se, but at $13, how wrong could you go?

PatrickA51, engrsaks and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  17. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have shaved with a straight. I would imagine that shaving your head is fine, I didn't have a problem with my cheeks and jaw. I did get nervous on my jugular, sometimes I did it without thinking other times for no particular reason I was petrified or extremely nervous. But in the end the maintenance was too much. I do use a Feather AC or clone, but with Kai Captain Mild Protouch blades or Feather ProGuard's...

PatrickA51 likes this.
  18. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

PatrickA51 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  19. RaZorBurn123

I bought a Gillette Vector, I searched for an Atra but those are out of my price range for what I'm going to use it for. If I get the results I'm hoping for ill consider upgrading to an Atra.

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Welcome to the 'dark side' of cartridge razors :)

PatrickA51 and RaZorBurn123 like this.