Dorco Pace 7

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Sabre, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Dorco has launched a seven blade razor in South Korea at the end of last year.
    It's available on eBay, but it's quite expensive.

There is an interesting blog about it :

http://blackspionde.blogspot.co.uk/

engrsaks likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

File under:
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

richgem and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I went and got my hair cut yesterday and saw some Dorco Razor Blades for sale. (in the Barbershop) They have a bunch of barbers that will give you a shave for $15.00 to $45.00 depending on what they do. I have been going to the same barber for almost ever. Since 1989. They guy that I went to before that died.(my barbers brother) I have followed my barber from 4 shops. The last shop was sold to a "Tasmanian Jug-blower" (so he could expand his greasy spoon restaurant) and he moved here to his current location. He is now semi-retired Tuesday thru Saturday, four hrs. a day, Then he goes to the California Veterans Home of Chula Vista.https://www.caring.com/local/nursing-homes-in-chula-vista-california/veterans-home-of-california and gives hair-cuts to all of the veterans that are basically confined to the Veteran's Home. (on Saturday and Sunday)

I belong to the Elk's and VVSD and twice year they have a "VVSD Stand Down for Homeless Veterans." http://www.vvsd.net/standdown.htm
    I was thinking of getting some razor blades to PIF to the VVSD Stand Down this year. These blades any good. I figure I support a local business instead of e-bay or Amazon.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Well, they are South Korean blades. I've tried them, and they are mediocre at best. If I remember correctly, they reminded me of Wal*Mart's DE Wilkinson Sword blades (back when they carried them). There's better blades out there and cheaper blades, but it's always nice to find a local supply.

opsimath and PatrickA51 like this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I read the blog @Sabre and it was interesting. Not something I'd be interested in trying however, after 30+ years of miserable shaving using a Trac2, I see NO reason to use a cart with more blades and MORE cost. :happy097: For me at least one blade has been the "pot of gold" and I simply have never found any love or advantage to using a multiblade cart except perhaps to make the manufacturer rich!:)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

Dorco was my first real experience of blade shaving, up to then I used electric razors. I tried their 3, 4, 6 and 6 + 1 carts. They were decent and cheap, can't really complain too much about them really and my wife still uses the left overs I didn't use. The major issue with the 6 blades was the size of the head, it was virtually impossible to get under the lip, so I can only imagine how bad the 7 blade would be. The + 1 blade helped but it wasn't a great blade so it was only really useful for cleaning up.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. PatrickA51

Yhanks for the reply. I just will dig into my stash and PIF about 10 packs of Astra SP and 10 Packs of Wilkinson Sword, Razor blades.
    That will still leave me with enough blades to last past inauguration day 2021 LOL

178-bplatoon likes this.
  8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

To me the Dorco DE blades are lousy. I wouldn't even think about a cartridge razor from them.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If I found one cheap, I'd give it to my wife in the hopes it'd get her away from the very nice but too $$$ Proglide. Of course I'd try it too, I'll try any shaver once.

engrsaks and PatrickA51 like this.
  10. PatrickA51

The Gillette Fusion Pro Glide is way over priced. $9.95 for the razor(today's local SuperMarket Ad) the refills are $39.85 with their club card (same ad what a rip off). I could buy the lowest priced blades on Amazon for far less than $10.00 for 5 Dorco DE Blades at the local Barbershop.

crackstar and gorgo2 like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Agreed 100%. But for some, they give an excellent, no-issue shave, myself included.

engrsaks, crackstar and PatrickA51 like this.
  12. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

I admire your spirit regarding trying out new razors before jumping to any conclusion :)

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My shaving life is more fun that way. No razor I won't try at least once (excluding straights or anything resembling them...no desire to try).

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm with you @gorgo2 .

15. TimNZ

TimNZ New Member

I didn't find the Pace 7 very good. It's not bad exactly, it does what it's meant to, but it causes more irritation than is ideal. The Pace 5 is much better.

16. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

A prime example of one upmanship and overkill.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I've tried Atra, not a good pivot design for my face; tried Trac II, OK but awkward for me; tried Pace 3 and got close comfortable shaves; now using Pace 4, OK but going back to Pace 3 which are at least as good and cheaper. I've shaved with Schick SE, Gem SE, Gillette DE and rotary and foil electrics and really don't see any great advantage to any of them. With SE and DE razors I have to make 3 passes, the electrics are worthless so getting a good shave in one pass with a 3 blade cart suits me just fine. I wouldn't even consider paying Gillette's price for a razor but I admire those who actually think it's a good deal; I can get a 24 cart pack of Dorco Pace 3's and take my wife out to dinner for what one Gillette Fusion refill pack costs!

engrsaks likes this.
  18. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

I would love Gillette to read this review (especially after the launch of Proshield) :) . Definitely, a great pricing comparison and perspective.

19. Grick

Grick Active Member

The Pace 6 is excellent. Very sharp! You can definitely feel the extra blade. The Pace 6 seems to be coming with more heft than the Fusion. They cost half the price and are at least as good as though a bit more rough on the skin. But I definitely dig them.

20. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Just as the Dorco Pace 3 or 4 gives an excellent shave to some of us. I've used about every type razor that has come out since the '50's and honestly cannot understand why anyone would think a razor that requires 2, 3 even 4 passes in every direction of the compass to produce a decent shave is better than one that does it in one pass.

gorgo2 likes this.